GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Silver GS300 in progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 04:45 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome, looks good so far. Whats next?
Old 08-01-12, 08:00 PM
jessehu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all your support!

next step i will take would be fixing up the car.

turns out the cars has many issues and im still struggling if it is worth fixing.

first problem is the fuel sending unit, the fuel gauge shows the tank still has a quarter of fuel, but the car will stall and will not start. put more fuel in and it runs normal again.

second problem is the engine is burning/using a LOT of oil.
i drove about 5000km since i got the car, one day the low oil light poped on, and went off as i let off gas.
couple days later i checked the oil dip stick and there is NOTHING on it.

third problem is after those 19in wheel were put on and lowered, there is no rub while driving normally, but the noise inside cabin is just a lot louder before those were done, is this normal? or are my hub bearing going bad?

and there are so many more small problems:
the exhaust pipe was custom made, so its annoyingly loud and all rusted already;
exhaust resonator looks original and the bits inside the resonator are falling out into the exhaust pipe, making a extremely embarrassing rattling noise around 1000rpm;
camber adjustments cannot be made due to all bolts are badly rusted and sealed;
door actuator motor needs to be replaced;
radio LCD display gone;
fuel tank is leaking on top;
headlight washer covers gone as you can tell;
all brake rotors needs to be replaced;
the list can go on and on .....

and, almost every single panel on the car with paint on it has some sort of rust so Needs to be fixed and repainted.....

i can probably do the actuator motor by my self but everything else will have to be done by a shop,
so i think im looking at over $10,000 repair here....

is it really worth it? or should i sell this one and get a LS400(which i like a little more) in better condition

thanks everyone

Last edited by jessehu; 08-01-12 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 08:33 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default If you're thinking for the LS already stop what you're doing

Most likely if you are already thinking about the LS. You better stop what your doing put the car to stock and sell it. If not you're going to dump a lot of money into this project and end getting the LS later but will be out a lot more money. If you are already getting cold feet don't dump in any more money into this one.

Move on to the LS. I have purchased many cars wanting a different one always ended up going back to the one I've wanted. But most of the time I was already vested $$$ into the car already which is not a smart return on your investment. GL
Old 08-01-12, 08:34 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Default If you're thinking about the LS already stop what you're doing

Most likely if you are already thinking about the LS. You better stop what your doing put the car to stock and sell it. If not you're going to dump a lot of money into this project and end getting the LS later but will be out a lot more money. If you are already getting cold feet don't dump in any more money into this one.

Move on to the LS. I have purchased many cars wanting a different one always ended up going back to the one I've wanted. But most of the time I was already vested $$$ into the car already which is not a smart return on your investment. GL
Old 08-01-12, 09:01 PM
jessehu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mikerx80

the thing is, a nice condition LS400 is really hard to find, and i heard ls400 has many small issues too
Old 08-01-12, 09:17 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Spending $10k to get your car just to par is not justifiable. You may want to consider purchasing a car outside of area "US" and drive it up there. Not too sure about Reg process but am aware there are some Americans that purchase Skylines and bring it down to the states
Old 08-02-12, 05:27 PM
jessehu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
Spending $10k to get your car just to par is not justifiable. You may want to consider purchasing a car outside of area "US" and drive it up there. Not too sure about Reg process but am aware there are some Americans that purchase Skylines and bring it down to the states
i actually had a 1990 r32 gtr, the experience was like a dream, feels so good in it, but when i wake up, its just soo unrealistic to own that imported right hand drive car,
insurance is crazy, parts are so hard to find or so expensive to buy, and if i got parts for it, not many shops around knows how to put it in and no need to say how hard it is to find any one to tune it...

i also thought about importing a toyota crown, but in canada, i dont think crown is allowed to import plus any imports from oversea have to be over 15 years or older...

laws and regulations here are crazy
Old 08-04-12, 08:11 PM
93scoupey
Driver School Candidate

nice gs love the wheels
Old 08-04-12, 10:46 PM
Vishuz
Pole Position

How much did the wheels cost you
Old 08-07-12, 05:06 PM
blindsk8er
Driver School Candidate

Just curious what the specs are on the wheels?