GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

what to know for paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-12, 11:44 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure there is no orange peel or dirt particles or paint defects before the clear coat is applied or you are screwed.
Old 07-08-12, 11:52 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Make sure the paint shop has a dust free room to paint you car in.
Research the brand of paint they are going to use before you let them paint
Make sure they use the highest quality clear coat or it will yellow or peel as it gets old
Make sure they mask off or remove all rubber trim. Connectors, ect before they paint.
Old 07-11-12, 10:24 AM
jjpark712
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shop can use the best quality paint/ clear coat but if their prep work is crap,then you won't b happy with paint job.

May not see it 1st 6 months but after sitting out in the sun for little bit, sand scratches may show up later.

Plus good idea to look is what kind of cars that he works on. I insurance claim is only work he does, you probably taking chance. Due to the fact that those cars have damage and whatever bodywork and new shinny clear will make their wrecked car much better than what the condition was before.
Also any decent shop will have electronic computerized paint mixing machine.

In addition to good prep work, using good quality primer/ sealer, base coat, clear will make paint job last long time and shine for long time as well.
If your are showing paint chip on your plastic parts of the car right now, make sure that the shop uses adhesion promoter on plastic parts. That will help primer with flex agents to stick well over long time.
Old 07-11-12, 06:59 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A color change like this is really a huge undertaking to make it look right.

Ask the painter
  • What about the trunk jambs?
  • What about under the hood?
  • Door jambs - remove door panels
  • Exterior - remove headlights, taillights, window trim, door handles, lower cladding, exterior mirrors, bumpers, trunk trim - I even removed and replaced the windshield on mine.

Paint material can also cost a grip. If he even mentions a one-stage paint, run away. It should be clear coated.

Seems like a lot of work to go white when you can just buy a GS that color. Mine is Spectra Blue, but we made lots of changes (two tone plus a blue-black roof). Also, seeing your car all ripped apart paint it like watching sausage being made. Nobody wants to know the details. I took my car apart mostly myself, so I know how much work it is...
Old 07-27-12, 03:44 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I wouldn't do it simply because it's a newer car. If the car was old and the paint was faded and scratched, then by all means. You say you bought this car new off the lot, why didn't you get it in the color you like?
my parents bought the car off the lot and i got it shortly after. so i didnt get to chose the car.
champagne looks nice and clean but ive always loved white and something that i can work to fix up easier (i dont like champange enough to fix it up)

Originally Posted by giolex300
so having engine bay, door jams, and trunk gold after painting it white wont bother you?.....then if you decide to do the engine bay white etc etc, unmounting and remounting can be another headache alone if your not mechanic savvy...
i didnt say none of that was going to be done. i talked to him yesterday and he said they would do everything. the only downside is that he said their shop would not be able to do the entire engine bay, just what can be masked up and covered up. other than that, door jams, trunk, hood, etc can be done.

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
So the paint job will be covered partly or mostly by insurance? How's that? Doesn't look like your car has any dents or has had any recent accidents. hmmmm

Originally Posted by USMCLexus
White is a nice color but it shows dirt too easy for me but in certain states, I believe insurance can be lowered. Unsure if it's true nowadays but good luck. I'm ThomasGS4 reader fan and I heed his advice mostly but I do disagree with his comment. I think white will look great and hope y'all keep the car rolling for a long time.
Texan.
thanks for the support. i love white on cars.

Originally Posted by jjpark712
Shop can use the best quality paint/ clear coat but if their prep work is crap,then you won't b happy with paint job.

May not see it 1st 6 months but after sitting out in the sun for little bit, sand scratches may show up later.

Plus good idea to look is what kind of cars that he works on. I insurance claim is only work he does, you probably taking chance. Due to the fact that those cars have damage and whatever bodywork and new shinny clear will make their wrecked car much better than what the condition was before.
Also any decent shop will have electronic computerized paint mixing machine.

In addition to good prep work, using good quality primer/ sealer, base coat, clear will make paint job last long time and shine for long time as well.
If your are showing paint chip on your plastic parts of the car right now, make sure that the shop uses adhesion promoter on plastic parts. That will help primer with flex agents to stick well over long time.
ive talked to him in more detail. the shop he has is a collision shop but he says they do a lot of paint jobs. i checked out some of his work and it looks really clean. he has an infinity and camero he did for himself and they look realy good. of course, i am a rookie at this, so maybe to someone that knows more about paint, they could point things out or have a different opinion.

i did ask about quality paint and clear coat and made sure to tell him that i want a good job done. he definitely acknowledge that it was a Lexus and it should be car with a good job. he also mentioned that their shop offeres a 1 year gurantee on all the paint. i asked about chips or peels and he said the paint will last and it shouldnt chip or peel under normal condition unless its going to be getting scuffed or hit by rocks or something out of the ordinary. i definitely asked about clear coat and he also said that was a for sure thing and said he knows that every paint job should end with a good clear coat. my car is in decent condition so it shouldnt be too hard to prep, but he seems like he will do a good job on it.

Originally Posted by sam12345
Make sure the paint shop has a dust free room to paint you car in.
Research the brand of paint they are going to use before you let them paint
Make sure they use the highest quality clear coat or it will yellow or peel as it gets old
Make sure they mask off or remove all rubber trim. Connectors, ect before they paint.
Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
A color change like this is really a huge undertaking to make it look right.

Ask the painter
  • What about the trunk jambs?
  • What about under the hood?
  • Door jambs - remove door panels
  • Exterior - remove headlights, taillights, window trim, door handles, lower cladding, exterior mirrors, bumpers, trunk trim - I even removed and replaced the windshield on mine.

Paint material can also cost a grip. If he even mentions a one-stage paint, run away. It should be clear coated.

Seems like a lot of work to go white when you can just buy a GS that color. Mine is Spectra Blue, but we made lots of changes (two tone plus a blue-black roof). Also, seeing your car all ripped apart paint it like watching sausage being made. Nobody wants to know the details. I took my car apart mostly myself, so I know how much work it is...
jams will be covered, door pannels and such will also be removed. i didnt ask about headlights or tail lights. but im sure if i ask he can do it. i also offered to go in and help so that i can know/see the work being done and he said that would be fine.

i will ask more about the paint and paint costs. i know he should be pretty good about getting the color change to look good because like i mentioned, ive seen some of the cars that hes done complete color changes on. his ifinity has gone from burgondy, to black to a metalic green and it looks good.

this is really a lot less work for me than going through the sale of my current gs and then looking for another one of similar condition etc. this is pretty simple and straight forward on my part, literally just pick the color i want and hvae the shop do itt. i understand what people are saying about just buying a white gs- makes sense but in terms of me keeping MY gs and knowing exactly where its been/conditions of it, it doesnt compare.
Old 07-27-12, 05:18 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

HONESTLY IMO the car looks clean already. i dont see why you would have to waste money and repaint the car.

"why fix something when its not broke" you know? i mean it is up to you. the car color is pretty nice, better then silver lol, hence the reason i repainted my car. my car had alil body work to do so might as well. wing, roof spoiler, front lip.
Old 07-27-12, 09:03 AM
TNH
Pole Position

A complete color change.....door jambs, exterior, engine bay will run around $10k to do properly.
I would never color change a car to an OEM color, I would just sell the car and purchase another one with the OEM color you desire.
Old 07-27-12, 10:53 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Come on dude, 10K. get real
Old 07-27-12, 12:15 PM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at other paint work done thats what i do

Last edited by sinistervr; 07-27-12 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-27-12, 03:24 PM
TNH
Pole Position

Come on dude, 10K. get real
I'm serious. I'm talking about a professional color change, not some ghetto job. Removing the engine to paint the bay, stripping to a bare shell... that is how a color change is done. Not the kind where you lift the carpet and see a different color, or remove the trunk lining and see a different color.

That was the price I was quoted by Samuels for my Supra.
http://www.samuelsauto.com/
Old 07-27-12, 07:06 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Well you've got to take all the stuff off yourself and deliver the chassis to the painter. Then put the stuff on yourself. But to do that kind of a job on a car like a gs would be a waste. That's for cars that will retain and increase in value. You really think anybody cares if under your carpet it's a different color. I mean you can get 70k paint jobs if you want to go to extremes.

Last edited by sam12345; 07-27-12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-27-12, 08:41 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on some of the stuff posted here. Technically may require a change on the title and might hurt resale if you give a fawk. But with that said if this is the car you want or plan to keep then go for it. You could also just remove the wing and get that color cleaned up at the shop and use the rest of any money for some goodies. Champagne can be hot with some legit VIP wheels and an aggressive stance. GL
Old 07-27-12, 09:03 PM
TNH
Pole Position

You really think anybody cares if under your carpet it's a different color.
You would be very surprised. I personally could live with it, but I know a lot of people that wouldn't ever go for that.
Old 07-27-12, 09:40 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

If its a true restoration for a car that is worth big bucks I agree with you TNH but on a Lexus that will soon be worth 3k it's insane. I mean this little fiat is worth twice what our cars are worth
Old 07-27-12, 09:42 PM
DvSiR
Lead Lap

lose the spoiler lol

Quick Reply: what to know for paint job?