GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

what to know for paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 06:23 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to know for paint job?

im looking into getting a paint job.
should hopefully have it done by the end of the summer. my neighbor has a bodyshop and does painting.

HOWEVER, i dont know **** about paint on cars. anything particular i should look/ask for and about?

im looking to go white btw.

Last edited by robertoyou; 07-05-12 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-06-12, 09:01 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at the other cars he's done you'll have a good idea of the quality of his work. I would keep an eye out for orange peel. Also make sure they are using a good quality clear coat.

A common issue I've seen on a lot of vehicles that have been repainted is that the bumpers will chip/crack under normal stresses because of improper application of flex additives.
Old 07-06-12, 11:27 AM
805Aristo
Rookie

As stated above^^ .. Check out his previous work and you'll have an idea of what king of work he does. Make sure the car gets Prepped properly and primed before it gets the color and get good quality clear. Most shops bake the car for the paint to cure properly so ask for that also. And before you pick up the car and pay check the car thoroughly for any orange peal on the paint.
Old 07-06-12, 02:03 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

As stated-idk anything about paint.is orange peel exactly what it sounds like? Ill look it up.

I will try and look at some of his work. I'm a little iiffy on getting a paint job just because ive heard that they will never match the quality of an oem paint. But I'm kind of over the gold lol.

So I should ask about:

Flex additives
Clear coat
Prepped/primed
Baking
Orange peel

He seems like a good guy and i see he paints his own personal cars. Ive never looked at them from upclose but from a short distance they do look good. Nothing out of the ordinary that I can see wrong.
Old 07-06-12, 02:41 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

if u take it to a good shop ull have a good job car. Just remember good paint = $3k+ easily.
Old 07-06-12, 02:48 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

0) I would say you get what you pay for, there's a reason why things cost $300 and others costs $3000. This is as much an art rather then science. When you replace brakes, you get pretty much the same result no matter which monkey does it. Paint instead is like art.
1) search for yelp reviews
2) look for highly rated body shops, not just paint shops.
3) better places will have some certifications from various industry groups, such as ppg (paint) or i-car for collision repair or others.
Old 07-06-12, 03:11 PM
deebo1983
Driver School Candidate

make sure he sands and buffs the car as well, otherwise u will end up with dirt in the paint. also make sure everything is taped up well or u will end up with overspray on your windows and moldings. as stated, u get what u pay for. if youre going with a pearl white, the paint will not be cheap.
Old 07-06-12, 03:17 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why you want to paint that car? you ever think about selling yours and buying a white one?? I would say resell is going to go down also, its not a orignal white so your gonna have to paint door jams everywhere really... In my opinion i would sell and buy a white one prolly difference cheaper than a new paint job too
Old 07-06-12, 03:42 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea good paint your looking at over 4 gz and up, sell it and get another one in white
Old 07-06-12, 03:43 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4life86
why you want to paint that car? you ever think about selling yours and buying a white one?? I would say resell is going to go down also, its not a orignal white so your gonna have to paint door jams everywhere really... In my opinion i would sell and buy a white one prolly difference cheaper than a new paint job too
This man is smart and you should question why you are doing it.

But if you are set on this,
For all the other stuff, yes it is important to do certain things, but you need to trust the place you pick to do the job properly.
It makes you just look like more of a fool if you ask about what are basic parts of the job. Someone who is going to do a poor job or cheat you can bs and feed you any line. So asking has no real bearing on what they actually do on your car.

It is the same as the person who is basing his car buying on actually and literally "kicking the tires" and popping the hood just to peek around to see if things are clean, without actually knowing what they are looking for under the hood, or why they are kicking the tires.

I would add one thing, they should be a professional place with a computerized estimate system (if they are a body shop). The estimate quotes should be free (but take them time to writeup). It should include and breakdown the service including the costs for labor , paint, additives.
Old 07-07-12, 08:31 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

I thought about selling and getting a white one instead but that seems like a lot of hassle to go through. Finding a buyer and then having to go hunt out the "perfect" white seems like a lot of trouble. I bought my gs fresh off the lot back in '05 so this baby has been with me since she was born and through many things. Also I know the condition of mine is extremely good from top to bottom. So I'm not worried about any mechanical problems or major physicial defects on mine- which is very comforting.

I have thought about the money itll take and resell value and such. But I don't plan to ever give this gs up. As crazy as it sounds, id love to keep it forever. Its my first car and I really do love it.

The paint job will be part of insurance coverege so most of the cost should be taken by them. Since its a complete complete change I might have to put some out of my pocket. I have talked to the guy about it and hes working on getting me all the details/info. So I'm waiting to hear back from him right now.

I really haven't looked at his work yet but he offered to do it and ive heard he has a nice big body shop. Ive only seen the work hes done on his own personal cars and they do look very clean. He has an infinity and camero with paint he did and they look very nice. However you guys are right I will make sure to take a closer look at his cars and see how it really looks up close and when I pay attention to detail.

Ill wait to hear from him about the details and I will ask him about the things you all mentioned. Definitely some good info.

And yes I do plan kn going with a nicer white. Not just a plain white.
Old 07-08-12, 06:24 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So the paint job will be covered partly or mostly by insurance? How's that? Doesn't look like your car has any dents or has had any recent accidents. hmmmm
Old 07-08-12, 07:07 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

I wouldn't do it simply because it's a newer car. If the car was old and the paint was faded and scratched, then by all means. You say you bought this car new off the lot, why didn't you get it in the color you like?
Old 07-08-12, 10:14 AM
giolex300
Driver

so having engine bay, door jams, and trunk gold after painting it white wont bother you?.....then if you decide to do the engine bay white etc etc, unmounting and remounting can be another headache alone if your not mechanic savvy...
Old 07-08-12, 03:48 PM
USMCLexus
Driver

White is a nice color but it shows dirt too easy for me but in certain states, I believe insurance can be lowered. Unsure if it's true nowadays but good luck. I'm ThomasGS4 reader fan and I heed his advice mostly but I do disagree with his comment. I think white will look great and hope y'all keep the car rolling for a long time.
Texan.

Quick Reply: what to know for paint job?