GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ECU woes... I'm ready to throw in the towel...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 04:47 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No, I was thinking the main ECU. This may be a change from my 98 gs400. I think on mine the gateway is in the main ECU because the symptoms are similar.
Old 07-11-12, 10:36 AM
Typhe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
so everythings working now?

I just ordered the part last night. It should be here by Friday. I can't wait.

I should be considered the SME on Gateway, Nav, and A/C issues from this point on lol.

Thanks Brian, Sam, and everyone else that provided input!!!!
Old 07-11-12, 11:14 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Typhe
Ok, so I FINALLY found out that the issue is my Gateway ECU. Part # 89111-30010. I think someone mentioned this in my initial post a few weeks ago. Thanks, and sorry lol. Is this the one you mentioned, sam?

I'll hopefully have my baby back by the weekend!

I just ordered the part last night. It should be here by Friday. I can't wait.

I should be considered the SME on Gateway, Nav, and A/C issues from this point on lol.

Thanks Brian, Sam, and everyone else that provided input!!!!
good to hear barry.....hope this finally fixes everything man so you dont have to burn her to the ground

happy to have helped man, crossing fingers for you
Old 08-15-12, 12:58 PM
Typhe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Body Control Module. You would need a wiring diagram.
Master Tech/Engineer looked at my car, and now the error is pointing to the BCM 89666-30260.

I tried to be cheap and ordered a refurb. That one made the previous codes go away, but even after programming my VIN into the module, the car won't start. I think they said it may have been an ignition error? Anyway, the way they explained it to me is that the new ECM doesn't recognize the chip in my key, so it won't allow the car to start. So, they determined the refurbished ECM is bad, too.

I ordered a brand new ECM, and was told that the part is not available NATIONWIDE. Seriously? The company told me that they could secure the part if I wired them the money directly from my bank account. That sounded fishy, like those African Bank emails, so I left them alone.

Finally ordered the part from another company Monday. Got an email today that said the part is unavailable, and there is no ETA on when it will be available in the country...

Fun, fun. I don't even remember what my car looks like anymore.
Old 08-15-12, 01:27 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

sucks barry, i was wondering what has been happening with you. i hadnt gotten a text in awhile
Old 08-15-12, 01:30 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

Master Tech/Engineer looked at my car, and now the error is pointing to the BCM 89666-30260.

I tried to be cheap and ordered a refurb. That one made the previous codes go away, but even after programming my VIN into the module, the car won't start. I think they said it may have been an ignition error? Anyway, the way they explained it to me is that the new ECM doesn't recognize the chip in my key, so it won't allow the car to start. So, they determined the refurbished ECM is bad, too.

I ordered a brand new ECM, and was told that the part is not available NATIONWIDE. Seriously? The company told me that they could secure the part if I wired them the money directly from my bank account. That sounded fishy, like those African Bank emails, so I left them alone.

Finally ordered the part from another company Monday. Got an email today that said the part is unavailable, and there is no ETA on when it will be available in the country...

Fun, fun. I don't even remember what my car looks like anymore.
I hope everything works out. I have been without my car for a month and a half now. What started out as a oil leak is pretty much turning into a enging rebuild. Oil leak was cam seals which then lead to the discovery of 2 cracked valve seats and when he was putting it back together noticed I had 2 cracked pistons. My mechanic is they type of guy that wants everything perfect so now since the engine was torn down to repair the valve seats, he just suggested I get all my seals, pistons, rings etc. replaced. I told him to go ahead and do it. I have 270k miles on the car but he says after this I should be able to go another 200k. Which is what I plan to do. All of this along with transmission service and replacment of a coroded battery wire and air filters etc. will cost me about $1k so I'm not mad that he is taking so long. I have another car to drive so I wasn't too pressed but I am missing my GS400 so I understand how you feel to some extent. I hope it gets worked out for you.

Last edited by portcityplaya; 08-15-12 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 01:58 PM
str8lucky
Pole Position

And I thought I had problems.
Old 08-16-12, 04:27 AM
Typhe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
sucks barry, i was wondering what has been happening with you. i hadnt gotten a text in awhile
I'm sorry man... I felt bad bombarding you with bad news, lol
Old 08-16-12, 08:36 AM
Typhe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by portcityplaya
I hope everything works out. I have been without my car for a month and a half now. What started out as a oil leak is pretty much turning into a enging rebuild. Oil leak was cam seals which then lead to the discovery of 2 cracked valve seats and when he was putting it back together noticed I had 2 cracked pistons. My mechanic is they type of guy that wants everything perfect so now since the engine was torn down to repair the valve seats, he just suggested I get all my seals, pistons, rings etc. replaced. I told him to go ahead and do it. I have 270k miles on the car but he says after this I should be able to go another 200k. Which is what I plan to do. All of this along with transmission service and replacment of a coroded battery wire and air filters etc. will cost me about $1k so I'm not mad that he is taking so long. I have another car to drive so I wasn't too pressed but I am missing my GS400 so I understand how you feel to some extent. I hope it gets worked out for you.
I'm driving my sister's accord, and she's driving my other sister's Highlander. I hate putting them out of their regular routine. I had a 92 Camry that was running perfectly fine until someone hit my brother-in-law a few weeks ago and totaled the car. It had over 500K on it. Maybe I should go back to something more simple?

My car is at about 225K, I think. I love the car so much, even if this one is dead and I have to get something else, I would look for the same model again.
Old 08-16-12, 08:45 AM
portcityplaya
Driver

I'm driving my sister's accord, and she's driving my other sister's Highlander. I hate putting them out of their regular routine. I had a 92 Camry that was running perfectly fine until someone hit my brother-in-law a few weeks ago and totaled the car. It had over 500K on it. Maybe I should go back to something more simple?

My car is at about 225K, I think. I love the car so much, even if this one is dead and I have to get something else, I would look for the same model again.
I don't blame you. My wife said I should have just gotten a newer car. I looked at her like she was crazy. For the amount of work I got done for the cost, I would have been a fool to give up on my car. I plan to get at least 400k to 500k out of this car and with this "rebuild" I should make it. Good luck man. I really hope they can get the problem worked out for you.
Old 08-16-12, 09:20 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sorry man... I felt bad bombarding you with bad news, lol
it was cool man, im always happy to help those who will try and help themselves first

keep me informed man