GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Major oil leak on GS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 04:07 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Major oil leak on GS400

Hi All....I was driving on the highway and all of a sudden oil light came on, so i quickly pulled over on the side of the road and checked oil and leaks, Oil was very low, luckily i had a qt of oil in the trunk so i put some oil, started the car and oil light is off, 2 mins after taking off...oil light came back on, luckily there was an exit and mechanic shop close by, Long story short mechanic is telling me it's the upper oil pan that needs to be replaced where the oil is leaking from, its more of an oil stream that i saw coming from the bottom.

Any advice on how much will such a job run, mechanic did not put the car on the lift to exactly pin point the leak, he started the car and revved and saw the oil dripping from the bottom.

Any advice/suggestions are welcome, Any trust worthy mechanic shop where i could take the car.
Old 07-13-12, 05:52 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil coming from the bottom could be draining down from damn near anywhere.
Old 07-14-12, 01:18 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Upper oil pan? If its coming from the top then its most likely either the valve cover gasket or the cam seal. Take off the front cover to get a better visual. Don't think the oil pan on the 1UZ would ever leak. If it is the cam seal then you're on borrowed time because you don't want any oil getting on the timing belt.
Old 07-14-12, 01:24 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

i aws gonna say its cause your low, but its upper oil pan, prob. what repugnante said.
Old 07-14-12, 07:50 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Will take some pics tomorrow and post...hopefully it's nothing too crazy, although car does have 281k on it.
Old 07-14-12, 09:22 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Here's a hint. When I noticed oil all over the oil pan, I originally thought that the pan was leaking. But as I proceeded to look further up, I saw that the oil was actually TRICKLING down from the top. The pan wasn't leaking at all. Turned out to be the cam seal. It leaked past the cover, onto the alternator and then down to the oil pan. Took me two days to replace it because the camshafts had to be moved to get the seal out.
Old 07-14-12, 09:27 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
Here's a hint. When I noticed oil all over the oil pan, I originally thought that the pan was leaking. But as I proceeded to look further up, I saw that the oil was actually TRICKLING down from the top. The pan wasn't leaking at all. Turned out to be the cam seal. It leaked past the cover, onto the alternator and then down to the oil pan. Took me two days to replace it because the camshafts had to be moved to get the seal out.
My car is in the shop as we speak for the exact same problem. the guy first thoug it was the oil pan gasket but after replacing it oil was still leaking. Turned out to be cam seals.
Old 07-15-12, 08:46 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Here is the video guys...As you guys can see oil is dripping like a constant stream from oil pan seal when car is running, Although not sure if it's coming directly from oil pan or coming from elsewhere.

Old 07-15-12, 09:13 AM
repugnante
Instructor

The pan definitely looks like it is leaking. However, I would remove the timing belt cover to get a clearer picture. I could be wrong, but it appeared that the left side (driver side) cam shaft has a slight leak...
Old 07-15-12, 09:48 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Originally Posted by repugnante
The pan definitely looks like it is leaking. However, I would remove the timing belt cover to get a clearer picture. I could be wrong, but it appeared that the left side (driver side) cam shaft has a slight leak...

i don't think this mechanic i took the car to has ever worked on this motor, since he told me it's the upper oil pan and according to some of you guys, this motor doesn't have upper oil pan.

Not sure where to take my car to get this fixed, how many hours of work does this seem?
Old 07-15-12, 12:10 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Oil pan should take about thirty minutes or so. Cam seal will take hours, maybe even a full day. Shop around for a competent mechanic. Preferably one who specializes in Lexus/Toyota motors. If you aren't comfortable doing the job yourself that is. Some may have a high asking price because as I mentioned, its a very tedious and meticulous job on the 1UZ. Took me two full days (weekend with a few breaks in between) to complete the job. I may add that I also replaced all seals during the process (cam seals, crank, valve cover, spark plug, grommets) since its all right there and the entire head is pretty much removed.
Old 07-15-12, 06:52 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The 1uz motor does have two oil pans. Upper oil pan is aluminum and bolts to the block. The lower pan is steal and bolts to the upper pan.

From the video, the seam between the two pans has too much of a gap. The lip of the lower pan looks like it may be deformed..

How long has it been since the timing belt job?
The idler bearings sound loud and your front oil seal needs to be checked for leaking (hard to do with the timing cover on).
The lower oil pan just may only need a reseal.

Even though the car has 280k miles, this repair is well worth the cost. Especially if you do the work.

Good luck, hope that helped.
Old 07-15-12, 06:57 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrankT
The 1uz motor does have two oil pans. Upper oil pan is aluminum and bolts to the block. The lower pan is steal and bolts to the upper pan.

From the video, the seam between the two pans has too much of a gap. The lip of the lower pan looks like it may be deformed..

How long has it been since the timing belt job?
The idler bearings sound loud and your front oil seal needs to be checked for leaking (hard to do with the timing cover on).
The lower oil pan just may only need a reseal.

Even though the car has 280k miles, this repair is well worth the cost. Especially if you do the work.

Good luck, hope that helped.
Thanks for your reply and useful info...Timing belt was done about 10k miles ago along with water pump, valve cover gaskets, idler pullies.

i hope its just the lower pan gasket, not the upper as that will require extensive labor work.
Old 07-17-12, 06:02 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Any good mechanic shop near cherry hill nj/Philly/NYC area where I could take my car, if you guys know of a shop please let me know.
Old 07-17-12, 06:48 AM
repugnante
Instructor

According to Jeff and many other members on here, the oil pan on these cars rarely, if ever leak. I carefully reviewed the pan on my car when I was trying to daignose my oil leak and that pan is sealed up very solidly. The only issues I have heard of are with those who are slammed on bags, or lowered more than two inches and end up scraping the pan. Odd for the seal to fail and then suddenly leak oil, especially on oil pans for these cars. I hope this is your only issue as you don't want to go through the expense and labor time of replacing a failed cam seal

Quick Reply: Major oil leak on GS400