GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Noob Oil question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 05:19 AM
cschroder
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

amsoil signature series and amsoil filter. i go 15000-20000 between oil changes. The guys where i get it changed are always amazed how clean the oil is when i have them change it. last time the owner of the shop took a quart to send off and have analyzed. i will do a post when the numbers come back.
Old 07-29-12, 07:21 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chicov8
royal purple or amsoil is better than mobil 1
Slightly, but not a noticeable difference. We wouldn't even be able to decipher the difference when driving.
Old 07-29-12, 11:11 AM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is definitely helpful information..going to be changing my oil saturday morning. thank u fellas
Old 07-29-12, 02:04 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

when i got my my gs, all the oils look decent not perfect, so for piece of mind i changed out the power steering,brake,coolant,engine,tranny and differental fluid. If your tight on cash, go for castrol EDGE gold 5 gallon jug and a lexus oil filter all for under 50bux. its worth it and your oil will look nice and goldy color after 3k miles.
Old 07-29-12, 09:18 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cschroder
amsoil signature series and amsoil filter. i go 15000-20000 between oil changes. The guys where i get it changed are always amazed how clean the oil is when i have them change it. last time the owner of the shop took a quart to send off and have analyzed. i will do a post when the numbers come back.
i would love to see the result. my oil guy says they are good for at least one year. not sure how that will work because I may need to replace my filter before a year.
Old 07-29-12, 09:39 PM
2eXceL
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick to Synthetic, you car still has relatively low miles and would make sense to keep it with good stuff for cleaner and smoother moving parts.
I have long used Castrol, Pennzoil, or Mobil 1, but I just found a good and cheaper alternative Full Synthetic called Mag1 FMX.
I am running the Mag1 FMX 5w-30 with the Purolator PureONE filter.
I would recommed the PureONE filter or BOSCH over the Toyota OEM,
Old 07-29-12, 11:09 PM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cschroder
Ruffly how much u spend for this oil change??
Old 07-29-12, 11:12 PM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

So many different Oil & filter options that my head is spinning..lol This weekend is going to be interesting. thanks for all reply's.
Old 07-30-12, 10:36 AM
Spadej
Driver School Candidate

I would be carefull of what oil you put in in the begining. Since Synthetic and petroleums dont like to mix i would start out with a semi synthetic run that for about 3 or 4 oil changes or untill the oil is coming out clean again, then switch to the full synthetic. I had an engine blow up from the carbon that the full cleaned out. Dont take the chance do the switch slowly and be paitient.

I use valvoline 10W30 since i am in CA and it doesnt get cold here too often in NY i would go with nothing thicker that 5W-?
Old 07-30-12, 09:22 PM
cschroder
Driver

Originally Posted by Hollywoood
Ruffly how much u spend for this oil change??
well the shop charges 15 bucks i bring the oil and filter. 6 qts oil for about 8 bucks a quart and the filter is like 12 or 13 bucks. i am a perferred member or something like that...i pay 50 a year for that and after 2 changes the discount pays for its self. i use their stuff in all my stuff, four wheelers, jet skis, cars ect......i had a 2006 toyota avalon that i put 200,000 miles on with only 10 oil changes...lol...i would still be driving it but it got hailed out.
Old 07-31-12, 01:09 PM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spadej
I would be carefull of what oil you put in in the begining. Since Synthetic and petroleums dont like to mix i would start out with a semi synthetic run that for about 3 or 4 oil changes or untill the oil is coming out clean again, then switch to the full synthetic. I had an engine blow up from the carbon that the full cleaned out. Dont take the chance do the switch slowly and be paitient.
^^^^Can anybody confirm this? Start with semi synthetic first then later switch to full synthetic.
Old 07-31-12, 02:31 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hollywoood
^^^^Can anybody confirm this? Start with semi synthetic first then later switch to full synthetic.

Your first post is a bit confusing. You bought it at 95K, and drove it 3K, and then checked the oil?

Me personally I'd go full synthetic cold turkey. I used to use Mobil1 exclusively. I've now switched to Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra. Cleans better than M1, from what I've seen, and performs just as well.

If you're that concerned about Spade's post, try doing 1 good dino, or synblend oil change, drive it 3K, and then do the full syn swap.

I have 200K on my '98 GS4, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. YMMV.
Old 07-31-12, 04:39 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Spadej

I use valvoline 10W30 since i am in CA and it doesnt get cold here too often in NY i would go with nothing thicker that 5W-?
This is total bull****! Please don't post any bs info on here again. You do know that synthetics do come from petroleum, so saying that it won't mix makes you sound silly. You can switch from syn to dino, from dino back to syn and nothing bad will happen.

To the OP, just use any oil and filter (minus Fram) that is the cheapest in your area and change it and be happy. This shouldn't be a topic to where you are confusing yourself. Is this your first car??
Old 08-01-12, 05:00 AM
cschroder
Driver

if you really want to know all about oil and filters go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and start reading...he has cut many oil filters in half and done a comparison. There are also lengthy discussions with facts on all oil, dino, syn, blends, ect....
Old 08-01-12, 08:25 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

First you should have changed the oil right after purchased since you didn't know when it was last changed. Might as well check the condition of all the rest of the fluid(s)

Anyway, just go with M1 5w30 and a Toyota filter. Your car is probably stock and not boosted or anything so Toyota filter should be fine. Even with M1 or any other synthetic oil I change my oil every 3k or 3 months which ever comes first, even when i was using Royal Purple in my Supra. I don't do the whole 15k miles guarantee with synthetic...it only cost about $45 max for a self oil change every 3k or 3 months. Personally if I can't spare $45 for an oil change for my car every 3 months i really shouldn't be driving.

Quick Reply: Noob Oil question