GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Noob Oil question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 04:51 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I use Castrol Synthetic Titanium oil. 5-W30. By far THE BEST you can buy aside form Lexus oil. I also use K&N oil filter from my local AAP. It's around $15-$18 depending where you live and % tax rate. At my local Wal-Mart, a 5 qt. jug of Castrol Synthetic Titanium is around $28. It's the most expensive stuff on the shelf. Forget that Mobil stuff. I usually buy the 5 qt. jug and 2 seperate qts. additionally just to be on the safe side. I do my own oil and filter changes and it's quite easy my friend. We have the same car. I also have a 2001 Lexus GS430 with almost 84k. Bought it with 75k back in Feb 2012. Also, throw in that K&N air filter if you haven't.
Attached Thumbnails Noob Oil question-castrol-synthetic.jpg   Noob Oil question-k-and-n-air-filter.jpg  
Old 08-01-12, 05:22 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It's simple too my friend. Your getting the best treatment for your car for under $90. Don't be cheap like that on such a nice luxurious car. Treat it right. If you want it to last long that is. There shouldn't be any confusion. I myself am a Castrol Synthetic Titanium oil user and K&N oil and air filter user as well. As far as filters go, no problems at all. Oil wise, no problems either. In fact, after I started using Castrol Synthetic Titanium I've been feeling a boost in power and increase in gas mileage in highway commutes. This is a city guzzler no matter how you drive sorry. But on highway commutes, it's quite economical considering it's a quiet beast under the hood. Of course, I've changed my spark plugs with NGK top of the line. The most expensive ones. When I took out the OEM ones, they were exactly the ones I just bought lol. This car is loaded with the best from the gate. I also occasionally also throw in that Lucas Oil fuel injector treatment in the tank as well. Other then that, my silver shark has been running like a champ since day 1. That's my share. We got the same cars. I'm a down to earth, level minded person as well. I hope my advice serves you well my friend. Good luck!
Old 08-01-12, 11:22 PM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blanco
Your first post is a bit confusing. You bought it at 95K, and drove it 3K, and then checked the oil?

Me personally I'd go full synthetic cold turkey. I used to use Mobil1 exclusively. I've now switched to Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra. Cleans better than M1, from what I've seen, and performs just as well.

If you're that concerned about Spade's post, try doing 1 good dino, or synblend oil change, drive it 3K, and then do the full syn swap.

I have 200K on my '98 GS4, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. YMMV.
yeah when i brought the car i check the oil & yes it was black/dirty but my father said i was fine. Now that i went 3k and have a little money & time to change my oil let me do it now b/c something major happens.
Old 08-01-12, 11:24 PM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
This is total bull****! Please don't post any bs info on here again. You do know that synthetics do come from petroleum, so saying that it won't mix makes you sound silly. You can switch from syn to dino, from dino back to syn and nothing bad will happen.

To the OP, just use any oil and filter (minus Fram) that is the cheapest in your area and change it and be happy. This shouldn't be a topic to where you are confusing yourself. Is this your first car??
my first lexus but not my first car.. thanks for the post
Old 08-01-12, 11:26 PM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cschroder
if you really want to know all about oil and filters go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and start reading...he has cut many oil filters in half and done a comparison. There are also lengthy discussions with facts on all oil, dino, syn, blends, ect....
Nice!! will read up on it. thanks
Old 08-01-12, 11:29 PM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by akitomk3
First you should have changed the oil right after purchased since you didn't know when it was last changed. Might as well check the condition of all the rest of the fluid(s)

Anyway, just go with M1 5w30 and a Toyota filter. Your car is probably stock and not boosted or anything so Toyota filter should be fine. Even with M1 or any other synthetic oil I change my oil every 3k or 3 months which ever comes first, even when i was using Royal Purple in my Supra. I don't do the whole 15k miles guarantee with synthetic...it only cost about $45 max for a self oil change every 3k or 3 months. Personally if I can't spare $45 for an oil change for my car every 3 months i really shouldn't be driving.
^^I agree with u should of change oil when first purchase.. thanks for the post
Old 08-02-12, 11:44 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

5W-30 conventional is what I use.

People are too superstitious about oil. Use any conventional oil. Just be religious about changing it and your car engine will live a long life.
Old 08-02-12, 04:52 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just checked my oil, its cleeean and it got 4000k miles on it, my car burns no oil, gotta love it!!! Mobil 1 full synthetic FTW!!
Old 08-04-12, 12:16 PM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

ok fellas today is oil change day. so with all of the reading/post that members had put up i decided to go with Mobile 1 full synthetic(extended performance) 5w-30 with K&N filter. i hope this is good enuff. Thanks to all that reply to my thread
Old 08-04-12, 06:15 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywoood
ok fellas today is oil change day. so with all of the reading/post that members had put up i decided to go with Mobile 1 full synthetic(extended performance) 5w-30 with K&N filter. i hope this is good enuff. Thanks to all that reply to my thread
Thats the exact same setup i use!! Mine is getting done this monday.. Good stuff ur love it
Old 08-06-12, 10:07 PM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

^^^^ hey bro pm sent..