GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Going from Aftermarket HID kit back to OEM. Could use some assistance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 10:26 PM
lloydc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Going from Aftermarket HID kit back to OEM. Could use some assistance.

Hey everybody,

I got a 2003 GS300 SD, and one of the HID lights went out the other day. So I get online, order new bulbs, and go to put them on the car. Looks like the previous owner, for whatever reason, decided to put an HID kit on the car, when the car came with HID lights to begin with. So needless to say, the bulbs I have don't match what's on the car. Here is a picture of one of the A/M ballasts that's on the car.

Going from Aftermarket HID kit back to OEM.  Could use some assistance.-qaxsc.jpeg

I want to go back to OEM, my question is, how big of a pain in the *** will this be?

The kit is made by a company called VIPHID, or that used to be their name, anyway. The bulb isn't a D2R bulb, this is what it looks like:

It doesn't screw into a plug of any kind, it's just wired directly to the ballast, which obviously makes changing the thing a PITA... I don't have the OEM connectors that a bulb would screw into, and I have no idea what to do from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did find this: Would two of these be all I need? See part# 81125 on the diagram below:

Old 07-30-12, 06:09 AM
hario
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, don't get the 81125, that's for your turn signal and city lights, you already have those on your headlights. What you need is the D2R bulbs (81110L), the ballast (85967), the o-ring for the ballast (81128B). You should check under the headlight housing first to see whether the OEM ballast is still there or not. The price for the OEM ballast is kinda steep, so probably buying a whole aftermarket set of D2R HID retrofit kit is better for you. That's just my suggestion.

I am actually on the same boat as you, mine was replaced by aftermarket HID by the previous owner. I am currently trying to mount the aftermarket ballast at the OEM mounting location under the headlight. And I am actually modifying the H7 HID retrofit bulb to fit the D2R mounting perfectly. I can get the focal point of the H7 HID bulb at the same location as the original D2R. Obviously you don't have the shielding as the D2R.
Old 07-30-12, 04:29 PM
lloydc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hario
No, don't get the 81125, that's for your turn signal and city lights, you already have those on your headlights. What you need is the D2R bulbs (81110L), the ballast (85967), the o-ring for the ballast (81128B). You should check under the headlight housing first to see whether the OEM ballast is still there or not. The price for the OEM ballast is kinda steep, so probably buying a whole aftermarket set of D2R HID retrofit kit is better for you. That's just my suggestion.

I am actually on the same boat as you, mine was replaced by aftermarket HID by the previous owner. I am currently trying to mount the aftermarket ballast at the OEM mounting location under the headlight. And I am actually modifying the H7 HID retrofit bulb to fit the D2R mounting perfectly. I can get the focal point of the H7 HID bulb at the same location as the original D2R. Obviously you don't have the shielding as the D2R.
Wow, thank you so much for your reply. I was way off course! I checked sewell lexus and with the CL discount, 2 OE ballasts are $854. :-/ First I will check to see if they're still there, which I doubt. If so, cool. If not, I will see if I can just get replacement parts from the aftermarket hid kit that's on there already. They are based in China apparently, so this should be fun......Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-30-12, 04:52 PM
aEO 37
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just leave it as is and get the AMP D2R/D2S aftermarket plug converter. Should be about $15/ pair. Then you can use the D2R bulb you just bought, hopefully you order a pair so the color is the same
Old 07-30-12, 05:45 PM
hario
Rookie

Originally Posted by aEO 37
I would just leave it as is and get the AMP D2R/D2S aftermarket plug converter. Should be about $15/ pair. Then you can use the D2R bulb you just bought, hopefully you order a pair so the color is the same
Yeah, this approach can be done too. Cheaper than going full OEM. Mount your ballast under the housing, use the OEM hole for the wiring, use proper rubber grommet, and hopefully the previous owner still save the OEM plastic cover behind the lowbeam reflector, or if they made a hole, patch it up with JB weld, or replace it. The plastic cover should be pretty cheap.
Old 07-30-12, 06:05 PM
lloydc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hario
Yeah, this approach can be done too. Cheaper than going full OEM. Mount your ballast under the housing, use the OEM hole for the wiring, use proper rubber grommet, and hopefully the previous owner still save the OEM plastic cover behind the lowbeam reflector, or if they made a hole, patch it up with JB weld, or replace it. The plastic cover should be pretty cheap.
Okay, lemme make sure I understand this...I order 2 of these adapters, and they connect into the top plug of the ballast that I posted above? That way I just connect that to the ballast, my two D2R bulbs into the other end, and I'm set? Gawd that would be almost too simple to be true...
Old 07-30-12, 07:36 PM
hario
Rookie

The adapter that you need is the one from the ballast to your D2R bulb. Because the plug is totally different between the aftermarket bulb and original D2R bulb. D2R bulb has round plug. Aftermarket HID bulb has 2 wires with 2 separate connectors.

From your pictures, I think the bottom plug is the one that goes to your D2R bulbs, so the adapter will connect to that wires. The top one is the power source for the ballast that comes from the headlight relay system/headlight switch.