GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Chrome rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 12:01 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome rims

Wht are your thoughts on chrome rims? Good or bad?
What is a good color that compliments the mica green gs?
Old 08-30-12, 12:25 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad. Bronze ftw! Color matched wheels with polish lips?
Old 08-30-12, 12:29 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

I like chrome rims though they seemed to have fallen out of favor with a lot of folks around here but it kinda depends on the style of wheel. Some chrome can look classy and some can look real ghetto. Personal preferance thing.
Old 08-30-12, 04:43 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Yea, no one likes chrome, in fact many thing its "ghetto". MY opinion, if PROPER rims are chosen, ANYthing can look great. as for bronze... I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Just stay away from the "plate" style chrome rims (the ones that are practically just a solid rim. Get a nice lip, proper stance and offset and some nice spokes (5 is always best )

however, you make a good point bringing up the color. The mica green is a bit harder to match with color. Look for the Mica green thread and see what others have done and make a good choice, but make sure to choose what YOU like, dont look for approval!
Old 08-30-12, 10:13 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazy
Bad. Bronze ftw! Color matched wheels with polish lips?
Color match wheels? that some atl shizznits right there. Jade Mica car, with jade mica face wheels and polished lips will get rocks thrown at your car. Well, I would throw one atleast. Chrome is not a bad choice but can be an overkill on a green car. I'd do a brushed face with polished lips. Or the BMW M6 wheels. You can pull most rims off if you're slammed as fock! Just my two cents.

Is this your color car?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lic-green.html

If so, hope this link helps you out somewhat..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...en-owners.html

Member "fireballsgs400" is dark green with 5 spoke polish/chrome wheels. Looks sexy. Needs more drop but sexy. (page 3)

Last edited by YxUxMADDDD; 08-30-12 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-30-12, 11:04 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Yea, no one likes chrome, in fact many thing its "ghetto". MY opinion, if PROPER rims are chosen, ANYthing can look great. as for bronze... I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Just stay away from the "plate" style chrome rims (the ones that are practically just a solid rim. Get a nice lip, proper stance and offset and some nice spokes (5 is always best )

however, you make a good point bringing up the color. The mica green is a bit harder to match with color. Look for the Mica green thread and see what others have done and make a good choice, but make sure to choose what YOU like, dont look for approval!
I saw a few green is/sc with bronze wheels n they look pretty clean.. Only saw 1 green gs with bronze-ish wheels but it doesn't count cuz it was slammed and had a fat polish lip haha

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
Color match wheels? that some atl shizznits right there. Jade Mica car, with jade mica face wheels and polished lips will get rocks thrown at your car. Well, I would throw one atleast. Chrome is not a bad choice but can be an overkill on a green car. I'd do a brushed face with polished lips. Or the BMW M6 wheels. You can pull most rims off if you're slammed as fock! Just my two cents.

Is this your color car?

Member "fireballsgs400" is dark green with 5 spoke polish/chrome wheels. Looks sexy. Needs more drop but sexy. (page 3)
yeah I wouldn't color match green lol. U should watch out if u would throw rocks at ppls cars... I would put that person in the hospital if I saw someone throw rocks at my car. Black or a diamond cut face with polish lip can go with any color!
Old 08-31-12, 01:37 AM
818GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD

Is this your color car?

Yah that's my car color. I like fireballsgs400
Old 08-31-12, 04:23 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by portcityplaya
I like chrome rims though they seemed to have fallen out of favor with a lot of folks around here but it kinda depends on the style of wheel. Some chrome can look classy and some can look real ghetto. Personal preferance thing.
Here we go with this again. IF I had $10 for how many times this has been stated, I would make Scrooge McDuck jealous! What in the heck makes chrome ghetto??? Especially being that the "ghetto" chrome option on most luxury cars cost more. I don't care if it was 30"s, what about the chrome makes it look ghetto?
Old 08-31-12, 05:51 AM
portcityplaya
Driver

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Here we go with this again. IF I had $10 for how many times this has been stated, I would make Scrooge McDuck jealous! What in the heck makes chrome ghetto??? Especially being that the "ghetto" chrome option on most luxury cars cost more. I don't care if it was 30"s, what about the chrome makes it look ghetto?
I have chrome rims so go easy. Most gawdy, ghetto looking rims are done in chrome so that is where the "chrome looks ghetto" comment for most people comes from. Cost has nothing to do with weather something is considered ghetto. Just because you paid $4000 for rims doesn't mean they aren't considered ghetto. "Ghetto" is more in regard to the style of th wheel and most styles that are considered "ghetto" come in chrome. Here is an examples of what I consider ghetto chrome wheels. Don't get me wrong these wheels would be considered ghetto, in my opinion, no matter what the finish but the chances of seeing these in any other finish than chrome is very unlikely. Also the chances of seeing these wheels outside of the hood is very unlikely. I've lived in the hood and now out in the burbs so I can tell you which rims I saw there and what I see out here.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/3201684758.html

Last edited by portcityplaya; 08-31-12 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-31-12, 06:48 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

depends on the style of the wheel.

depends on the color of the car.

i had chrome 20s on my white gs, the same wheels are on my gold gs. to each their own, just dont pick a ghetto looking style wheel.
Old 08-31-12, 07:58 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As long as you get the high end forged wheels instead of the cheap corner store chrome rims and you should be fine.
Old 08-31-12, 08:30 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

I have chrome rims so go easy. Most gawdy, ghetto looking rims are done in chrome so that is where the "chrome looks ghetto" comment for most people comes from. Cost has nothing to do with weather something is considered ghetto. Just because you paid $4000 for rims doesn't mean they aren't considered ghetto. "Ghetto" is more in regard to the style of th wheel and most styles that are considered "ghetto" come in chrome. Here is an examples of what I consider ghetto chrome wheels. Don't get me wrong these wheels would be considered ghetto, in my opinion, no matter what the finish but the chances of seeing these in any other finish than chrome is very unlikely. Also the chances of seeing these wheels outside of the hood is very unlikely. I've lived in the hood and now out in the burbs so I can tell you which rims I saw there adn what I see out here.

lol. I gotcha. I don't like those rims and yeah, I really hate the one piece flat rims. BTW, are you from Mobile??
Old 08-31-12, 08:44 AM
portcityplaya
Driver

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
lol. I gotcha. I don't like those rims and yeah, I really hate the one piece flat rims. BTW, are you from Mobile??
Nope. Port City of Charleston, SC now living in Charlotte, NC by way of some of the meaner streets of Washington, DC for awhile, hence my experience with some "ghetto" chrome wheels..
Old 08-31-12, 08:46 AM
portcityplaya
Driver

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
depends on the style of the wheel.

depends on the color of the car.

i had chrome 20s on my white gs, the same wheels are on my gold gs. to each their own, just dont pick a ghetto looking style wheel.
Exactly. It's more style than just chrome. In other wheels All chrome wheels are not ghetto but most "ghetto" style wheels tend to be chrome.
Old 08-31-12, 08:52 AM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

I have chrome rims so go easy. Most gawdy, ghetto looking rims are done in chrome so that is where the "chrome looks ghetto" comment for most people comes from. Cost has nothing to do with weather something is considered ghetto. Just because you paid $4000 for rims doesn't mean they aren't considered ghetto. "Ghetto" is more in regard to the style of th wheel and most styles that are considered "ghetto" come in chrome. Here is an examples of what I consider ghetto chrome wheels. Don't get me wrong these wheels would be considered ghetto, in my opinion, no matter what the finish but the chances of seeing these in any other finish than chrome is very unlikely. Also the chances of seeing these wheels outside of the hood is very unlikely. I've lived in the hood and now out in the burbs so I can tell you which rims I saw there and what I see out here.

sorry but those rims excede "ghetto" and fall straight under the "completely effing hideous" category.. No but in all seriousness i agree with this guy, its not that the rims are in chrome or how much they cost that makes them ghetto, its the style. And style is something you kinda have to learn, as stated before search aroung for other cars in your color and see what looks good.

Quick Reply: Chrome rims