GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My New JDM JZS161

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 03:48 AM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by christodav
Nice car mate! I own a similar one.

Agree the kit an option and nothing to do with it being a Vertex Edition. It was however a Dealer option from Toyota and referred to in the catalogue as the 'Elegant Sports Version'. The full option kit also included a sports grill and clear side indicators. The kit could be purchased alone from the dealer though if the customer wanted. as far as I can tell, the kit could be purchased for any model level. I like it though and suits the car.

Oh, and the Aristo 'Vertex Edition' has nothing to do with the after market Japanese brandname Vertex from T&E. It is a bit confusing though.

Anyway, a bit of info there for you.

I've done a bit of work on mine, if you have any questions, let me know.

Chris
You are correct i think we need to do some business since your in japan.
Old 09-02-12, 07:08 AM
christodav
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by japspec
You are correct i think we need to do some business since your in japan.
I've done a bit of stuff, but mainly for friends. I am not into the hassle of sending anything other than via EMS Japan. I just don't have the time right now to run around too much. Also, I have had many requests from people like,"If you see a ##### at a junk yard let me know." Well, I don't get time to stuff around in junk yards etc as I work and have have a wife and 3 children here with me. It's the salesperson/customer service mentality that has been drummed into me over the years. If some buys something from me, I have to do my best to get it out to them ASAP and I simply can't make those promises here. Sending stuff to friends of mine is not a problem as they know my situation and they know me and I know them.

However, after saying all that, I do buy most of the stuff for my car from Yahoo Auctions Japan and if someone wants a specific item and it is small enough to send via EMS and fit on my bicycle basket on the journey to the post office, then it may be OK? Although I would do my best to get it out, I wouldn't promise 'lightning fast service' coz I'm not running a business. LOL
There are many individuals and companies here that people can contact to send stuff overseas and alot of them work via sites such as Ebay. I am only here for another 6 months or so and my number one priority (apart from my family), is my own car. Oh and I can barely speak Japanese.

I understand that you were maybe half joking, but I thought I would make all that honest and clear.

Chris
Old 09-02-12, 07:15 AM
christodav
Driver

Oh and again, JZS161nz, very nice car.

Chris
Old 09-02-12, 09:03 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Your car looks sick bro. After I finish up putting what I need to in my GS430, I wanna import a nice Lexus/Toyota. I wonder how much it would cost me to import a car from Japan to the US. I'm either looking at a nice Aristo or an Altezza :}

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-02-12, 09:27 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ buy one from Canada -> US.

Otherwise it's a lot more money for some reason.
Old 09-02-12, 11:25 AM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

sick car bro... good luck with it....
Old 09-02-12, 12:33 PM
JZS161nz
Driver School Candidate

Nice car mate! I own a similar one.

Agree the kit an option and nothing to do with it being a Vertex Edition. It was however a Dealer option from Toyota and referred to in the catalogue as the 'Elegant Sports Version'. The full option kit also included a sports grill and clear side indicators. The kit could be purchased alone from the dealer though if the customer wanted. as far as I can tell, the kit could be purchased for any model level. I like it though and suits the car.

Oh, and the Aristo 'Vertex Edition' has nothing to do with the after market Japanese brandname Vertex from T&E. It is a bit confusing though.

Anyway, a bit of info there for you.

I've done a bit of work on mine, if you have any questions, let me know.

Chris
Thanks for the Info Chris, always good to be enlightened as I am relatively new to the Toyota/Lexus game.

P.S I'm loving your suspension mods (especially the Tom's front strut brace), do you find that they affect the ride quality much?
Old 09-02-12, 02:30 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

I've done a bit of stuff, but mainly for friends. I am not into the hassle of sending anything other than via EMS Japan. I just don't have the time right now to run around too much. Also, I have had many requests from people like,"If you see a ##### at a junk yard let me know." Well, I don't get time to stuff around in junk yards etc as I work and have have a wife and 3 children here with me. It's the salesperson/customer service mentality that has been drummed into me over the years. If some buys something from me, I have to do my best to get it out to them ASAP and I simply can't make those promises here. Sending stuff to friends of mine is not a problem as they know my situation and they know me and I know them.

However, after saying all that, I do buy most of the stuff for my car from Yahoo Auctions Japan and if someone wants a specific item and it is small enough to send via EMS and fit on my bicycle basket on the journey to the post office, then it may be OK? Although I would do my best to get it out, I wouldn't promise 'lightning fast service' coz I'm not running a business. LOL
There are many individuals and companies here that people can contact to send stuff overseas and alot of them work via sites such as Ebay. I am only here for another 6 months or so and my number one priority (apart from my family), is my own car. Oh and I can barely speak Japanese.

I understand that you were maybe half joking, but I thought I would make all that honest and clear.

Chris
I have a guy over there already lol
Old 09-02-12, 07:51 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

very nice...
Old 09-02-12, 09:52 PM
christodav
Driver

Originally Posted by JZS161nz
Thanks for the Info Chris, always good to be enlightened as I am relatively new to the Toyota/Lexus game.

P.S I'm loving your suspension mods (especially the Tom's front strut brace), do you find that they affect the ride quality much?
No problem, happy to help out.

The strut brace does not upset the ride quality in a negative way at all. It is hard to notice a difference after the first time you fit it to be honest. It adds to the whole package, but I would say that it is 80% cosmetic and 20% performance on this car. LOL
I think Tom's have just deleted them from the line-up, but you can sometimes find them second-hand or the TRD one secondhand which is nice and solid looking. Cusco also make a good one and can still be bought brand new as far as I know.

Sway bars (stabilizer bars) on the otherhand make a profound difference. Read up on them. I have the Cusco ones with Figs links - a great combo!

Chris
Old 09-06-12, 05:45 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean Aristo nice kit
Old 01-22-13, 05:20 PM
BCHDAZ
Pole Position

Hello and welcome.....
Old 01-23-13, 09:18 PM
jhon300
Driver School Candidate

how much they charge for bring the car to U.S.A?
did you sell you car? lol
and nice car and welcome
Old 01-23-13, 09:34 PM
Evlc36
Driver

Originally Posted by JZS161nz

Are you Auckland based?

I have just done a whole lot to the suspension on my JZS161 - running HSD HR coilovers (had them for last year and a half or so) and just recently added Figs RCAs, Cusco sway bars, Cusco lower front chassis brace, 6 link rear subframe bracing.

I have front and rear Cusco strut braces, and Tom's rear body brace on order.

If you want stuff, Ewan at Hayatonka, or Nick at North Shore Toyota are awesome for getting parts at good prices - and can still get hold of the Tom's gear as well as Cusco, TRD etc.

Last edited by Evlc36; 01-23-13 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-23-13, 09:37 PM
Evlc36
Driver

No problem, happy to help out.

The strut brace does not upset the ride quality in a negative way at all. It is hard to notice a difference after the first time you fit it to be honest. It adds to the whole package, but I would say that it is 80% cosmetic and 20% performance on this car. LOL
I think Tom's have just deleted them from the line-up, but you can sometimes find them second-hand or the TRD one secondhand which is nice and solid looking. Cusco also make a good one and can still be bought brand new as far as I know.

Sway bars (stabilizer bars) on the otherhand make a profound difference. Read up on them. I have the Cusco ones with Figs links - a great combo!

Chris
Without wanting to thread hijack - did you install the sways and end links at the same time, or the links later? I am trying to decide whether it is worthwhile upgrading my end-links.

Quick Reply: My New JDM JZS161