GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Keyless entry unlocks but does not turn interior lights on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 01:56 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Keyless entry unlocks but does not turn interior lights on?

just as the title states, when i hit the unlock button the car unlocks but the interior lights dont come on nor do my puddle ligts. 1 out of 10 times the interior and puddle lights come on.i did search and came up empty. any and all info would be nice. the only think i can think of is a loose conection?
Old 09-03-12, 02:37 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the issue, try another door and see if the interior lights come on. I spent yesterday tearing down one of my door lock actuators to try and figure this out since if I open the drivers door no lights come on. But at any of the other doors they come on no problem.

So the problem I found..... Inside the door lock assembly in the other part ( not the one we replace the actuator motors in) there is a micro switch which is pressed in and YOU CAN'T GET TO because those parts are pressed together. When the door closes the latch that cycles and holds the door shut moves and has a cam that you can't see which activates that micro switch when closed. Then when you open the door the cam moves out of the way the switch drops and it tells the car to activate the lights. Overtime I believe what is happening is the switch may come out of adjustment or start to stick, this is because the switch is only held by 2 tiny plastic mounting points.

The solution for me thus far....I am looking to buy a new door actuator assembly which will guarantee a fix and after I have one then I will tear down the old assembly and see what I can do about coming up with some fix in the future for other GS owners. HOWEVER, I was able to get everything working thus far by tearing down the assembly, removing it from the door and giving it 2 hard slaps with the handle of a screwdriver. Then I used some silicon spray and was able to get a little bit into the housing. I have had no issues since.

I will post a picture shortly of the part so anyone who reads knows where to look if they run into the same issue.
Old 09-03-12, 03:22 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your fuse
Old 09-03-12, 07:36 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribed...i didn't even know when you unlock with the remote, the lights are suppose to turn on...i always thought we didn't have the feature?
Old 09-04-12, 07:29 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

if i open any door the interior lights come on, but when i hit the unlock on the remote only sometimes my lights turn on. i istalled some puddle lights and the reason i idid is so i could unlock the car and see benieth if before i was actually ready to step inside. but like i said the kicker is that the lights only come on once in a while??????????
Old 09-04-12, 09:38 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hobojoe is on the right track with the actuators, that's the first thing I'd check. Hopefully your problem is simpler than his!
If all the doors aren't locked, the interior lights won't turn on when you hit the unlock button, so if an actuator is bad and a door isn't locking, that would be the most common cause of this problem. Hit the lock button and check all the doors to see if one is still unlocked.
Old 09-05-12, 06:54 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

******the interior/puddle lights only light up about 2 out of ten times when i unlock with the remote. when i manually open the door all lights come on 100% of the time. all doors lock, key remote locks and unlocks fine, it just takes about 2-3seconds to unlock/ lock after i hit the button.*****

that makes me think its either the remote or is there a transponder/reciever in the car that activates the interior lights.? i hope this made it a little clearer. please help