GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Creaking when turning. LBJ's? Bushings? Tie Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 12:29 PM
mwbuck
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking when turning. LBJ's? Bushings? Tie Rod?

So my 115k 01 GS430 just started making a slight creak when turning slowly into a parking spot or into my driveway. Doesn't sound too ominous yet (no popping), but I'd like to take care of the issue before it becomes serious. The lower ball joints were replaced at 62k (5 yrs ago) so I wouldn't think they'd need to be replaced again just yet. Other related service history is below:

New control arms - 111k
New upper control arms (not sure how this is different from above) - 90k
Front suspension replaced - 70k

Based on what's already been done to the car, I'm leaning towards the bushings or tie rods as the culprit. Is this a reasonable line of thought, or am I in denial about needing to replace the LBJ's again?
Old 09-04-12, 12:38 PM
kingnicky
Driver School Candidate

Default joints

I had the same problem and had to replace the control arm bushings, and ultimately the whole control arm and it stopped. Just replacing the lower ball joints wouldnt do it for me
Old 09-08-12, 11:14 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Hard to say based on the description of the sound. I'm guessing control arm, or maybe strut mount bearing.

There are 3 control arms on our cars. The upper ($$$), LCA #1, which is in front most position, and LCA#2, aka trailing control arm or caster arm.

Can you be more specific on your service history? If your UCAs were done at 90K, I doubt they'd be making noise this soon. That's good news since they're the most expensive to replace.

As a diagnostic test, you could try lubing the bushings with a silicone or lithium spray, and see if that affects the sound at all. That could help you narrow down where it's coming from, instead of the "shotgun" approach.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 09-09-12, 02:02 AM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

i just picked up an 01 430 and i too hear a clicking like sound when making sharp u-turns or turning into a parking space sometimes. I just purchased the car on 9/3/12 with 55k on the odo. i dont believe the LBJ's have been replaced and i know that is an issue with these cars, my question is: is it something i should be concerned with considering the car only has 55k on it or is that irrelevant because it is a 12 year old car? Sorry to thread jack just tryna get a quick answer.
Old 09-09-12, 07:45 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

My first ball joint started going bad @65k and the car was only about 5-6 years old. If I were you I'd replace them now even with no issues. Even though miles are low, I'd be willing to bet age plays a factor. How much of a factor I can't say, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 09-10-12, 11:35 PM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blanco
My first ball joint started going bad @65k and the car was only about 5-6 years old. If I were you I'd replace them now even with no issues. Even though miles are low, I'd be willing to bet age plays a factor. How much of a factor I can't say, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
thanks, i was thinking the same thing too. I knew i was going to have to replace them, just wasnt sure how soon i needed to. Any suggetions of where to puchase replacements or are there any more cost efficient counter-part chassis that use similar LBJ. I know when i replaced them on my s13 i used sentra LBJ's and saved roughly $160, I'll check sewell.
Old 09-11-12, 04:04 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Shocks?Struts?
Old 09-11-12, 06:20 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Sewell's prices are pretty competitive, but rockauto will have less expensive parts, although they won't be OEM. I'm about to try my first set of aftermarket LBJs. Consensus around CL is that the brand I bought are more robust than OEM. They look nicer than stock, but I haven't put them on yet. We'll see how they work out.

If you read the horror stories in the suspension suforum about lbj failure, you'll see why people are so proactive about replacing them, especially for the folks who are lowered.
Old 09-11-12, 09:29 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

also check your lugnuts. If its the creaking I'm thinking of, loose lugs will do the same.

Its happening to me right now
Old 09-12-12, 12:58 PM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blanco
Sewell's prices are pretty competitive, but rockauto will have less expensive parts, although they won't be OEM. I'm about to try my first set of aftermarket LBJs. Consensus around CL is that the brand I bought are more robust than OEM. They look nicer than stock, but I haven't put them on yet. We'll see how they work out.

If you read the horror stories in the suspension suforum about lbj failure, you'll see why people are so proactive about replacing them, especially for the folks who are lowered.
May i ask which brand you decided to purchase?
Old 09-12-12, 01:12 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not knocking oem, but just thought I'd try something different this time around. I'm about to install MOOG ball joints. Supposedly their stronger, and they have a zerk fitting, so I can grease them periodically. Since I do my own oil changes, I don't mind greasing them during oil changes.

But if you want a replace and forget part, I'd probably go with oems.