GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buying Advice 1999 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-12, 06:38 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston35
I checked out the link for the rear carrier knuckles. There's a video in there someone posted of the noise and it doesn't really sound like what I'm hearing. That sound is more clunky, what I'm talking about is just like a squeaky old mattress.
well i have the same squeaky matress sound and it indeed my rear knuckles so you can take it for whatever you think it is but 90% of us that have the squeaky mattress sound it is the rear knuckle bushing

Originally Posted by Boston35
The body on the car is very tough to get a read on. Clean carfax and everything lines up but something tells me this car was in an accident. Or at least the body work that was done was half-assed. What scares me is if the slight feedback in the steering wheel (over 60 mph) and the noise from the suspension are related to an accident. I can't find any visual evidence of frame damage. I'm going to have to take it somewhere and have them look at it.
common issue for the 2nd gen gs, look over the DIY link i posted you. could be castor arms,UCA, inner/outer tie rods, shocks, rims,tires some of us never get it fixed, some of us have
Old 09-19-12, 10:07 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Brian is right, the vibration at highway speed is pretty common and not a major issue, although it can be difficult and frustrating to eliminate. Congrats on the new car, any used car is gonna have a few issues, hopefully yours aren't too bad!
Old 09-20-12, 01:05 PM
Boston35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read more about the carrier knuckles and you may be right. It's a little warmer here than it has been in the past few days. I took it for a ride around the block and didn't hear the noise. So the sound seems to only be present in cooler temperatures. Would that be indicative of the carrier knuckles?

I also cleaned out the MAF, reinstalled it and unplugged the battery to reset the ecm. I don't have any codes now. I let it run for about 5 minutes and nothing popped up. I don't think I'm in the clear yet. How long does it typically take for the check engine light to come on after resetting the ecm?
Old 09-24-12, 03:47 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

I know everything is all said and done but you should have bought a GS4, oh well you could always sell yours for at least 6grand easy once everything if fixed and the buy a GS4?