GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How do you clean the headights??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-12, 07:42 PM
rena
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you clean the headights??

I think they call it oxidized. Either way they look cloudy. I want them bright since I have a new paint job. The front headlights. I have a 04 GS430.
Old 09-23-12, 07:55 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Lot's of threads on how to do this. The internet is awesome, do a search. I recommend using "PlastX by meguiars. Avoid blue magic brand though.

Last edited by SC400slide; 09-23-12 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 09-23-12, 08:56 PM
13loody
Pole Position

You can also try 3M headlight lens restoration system.
Old 09-23-12, 10:00 PM
bashigs300
Pole Position

just buy new one from depo. they are so cheap. if they are very bad it'll be hard if possible to make it like new again. since you have fresh paint job i would just buy a new set.
Old 09-23-12, 10:56 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rena
I think they call it oxidized. Either way they look cloudy. I want them bright since I have a new paint job
these threads are what i mean by you returning older members do no more searching than any of the newer members who just come in and post up threads we have talked about. welcome back to the forums im glad to see some old returning members but please search. using the advanced search with keywords like headlight restore will bring up several threads

I use plastix by meguirs and love it. if you have a new paintjob and the old headlights are to oxidized you might just replace them but not with those depo ones that guy mentioned. do it right and use the OEM's. nothing wrong with the depo's i know of im just a OEM person and think in the long run they will hold out better than the depo's but i really dunno as noone with depo's i know of has had them that long. since you have a GS430 you need HID models with autoleveling if you replace them,
Old 09-24-12, 04:04 AM
antmck33
Rookie

Damn, even I searched and found several threads.
Old 09-24-12, 07:01 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i actually just replaced my entire front headlights last thursday, ill take some pictures of them later.
Old 09-24-12, 07:09 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

just get the entire kit.with sand paper and the whole application kit..its works like a charm
Old 09-24-12, 07:40 AM
rena
Driver

Default Sorry guys

I meant no disrespect.
I actually did do a search first. I assumed you could get inside because that is where it looks dirty. AND they are starting to yellow. : (

Update: After doing more research I am just going to purchase some McGuires ScratchX. Doing the oven thing doesnt work for me. Id probably burn our house down as I dont cook very well either.

There was a link to something on ebay where you just leave it on the headlights for 15 minutes and they are pretty close to new looking but the link to ebay was to old. Guys said it was problaby the McGuires anyway. Im going to puchase some today leave it on and see what happens.

Last edited by rena; 09-24-12 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-24-12, 08:31 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depending on the degree of oxidation, those box kits wont work and youll have to go and buy yourself some sandpaper. but even after sanding it's wise to finish the job with plasticx, similar so go ahead and buy that first and see how it works.
Old 09-24-12, 08:36 AM
showtymers
Driver

You know its funny how ALL these replies just keeps saying hey do a search.. why do you all even post? to get your little post count up, many and alot of you that do post thi, have taken the time to bash on people and yet clutter these boards with it, with the same effort could have given her a simple link already, when you are in public and ask for directions do you tell them go read a map?

i would rather have a bunch of questions like these, with a following link as an answer it would less clutter and more easier to search things since it would be a thread with 1 question 1 answer , when when the following person was to search it would pop up numerous of post with a simplistic helpful post rather then questions then bash bash bash for not searching and yet come up with a thread that has no value when the following person does a search and come up to those type of threads..

as for the OP heres a few youtube that i generally searched

http://www.youtube.com/results?q=how...-8&sa=N&tab=w1

i didnt look at the videos , but i personally just get a cleaner wax and a terry cloth towel and keep going at it a few times as if you was waxing a car. Cleaner wax is the key here by the way .. not regular wax and you could also use a clay bar to remove fall outs
Old 09-24-12, 08:39 AM
rena
Driver

I meant PlastixX. As advised. I did a youtube search and seen a good buffing job making them come out clear. The scratchX is for scratches and my car doesnt have any. The paint job is brand new.

Thanx for the link showtymer! : ) : )
Old 09-24-12, 09:25 AM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

[QUOTE=showtymers;7502696]You know its funny how ALL these replies just keeps saying hey do a search.. why do you all even post? to get your little post count up, many and alot of you that do post thi, have taken the time to bash on people and yet clutter these boards with it, with the same effort could have given her a simple link already, when you are in public and ask for directions do you tell them go read a map?

i would rather have a bunch of questions like these, with a following link as an answer it would less clutter and more easier to search things since it would be a thread with 1 question 1 answer , when when the following person was to search it would pop up numerous of post with a simplistic helpful post rather then questions then bash bash bash for not searching and yet come up with a thread that has no value when the following person does a search and come up to those type of threads..

Maybe it's me but I would think that ONE useful thread that has covered a topic would be enough, how inconsiderate of everybody who suggested to search and still decided to be helpful by giving their advice. Based on your logic it would in fact be more difficult to find an answer you are looking for because you would in turn have to search through numerous threads looking for an answer rather than one potentially useful one. Everybody on forums nowadays wants to be
spoonfed when they could just as easily find the answer themselves, no offense at all to the OP, but I understand where all the OG's are coming from
Old 09-24-12, 09:58 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by showtymers
You know its funny how ALL these replies just keeps saying hey do a search.. why do you all even post? to get your little post count up, many and alot of you that do post thi, have taken the time to bash on people and yet clutter these boards with it, with the same effort could have given her a simple link already, when you are in public and ask for directions do you tell them go read a map?

i didnt look at the videos , but i personally just get a cleaner wax and a terry cloth towel and keep going at it a few times as if you was waxing a car. Cleaner wax is the key here by the way .. not regular wax and you could also use a clay bar to remove fall outs
I'm sorry but your statement doesn't make any sense at all and your example was a fail. Asking for directions in a unknown area is different much different from asking how to do something, given you answer could be found by using the search button right above the post. Now if someone had a map in their hands and they were still asking for directions, then I could understand your example...which is basically how this situation is. I'm tired of grown people sitting in their high chair with their bib on, waiting to be spoon fed. There is no freaking way that the OP searched for this topic. This have been covered so much...even a simple GOOGLE search would've given the OP the answer. If someone posts that they searched and it's evident that they did by their initial post, then I don't mind giving my input. Someone asked a question a couple days ago asking how do you bake your headlights to get them open. Really!?! I didn't even bother to reply to that question.

I'm no where near an "OG" on this site, but I do make sure to searching this site, Google, and the other lexus forum before posting here. To OP, PlastX works great. It would be wise to use some type of sealer after you are done with the PlastiX

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 09-24-12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-24-12, 11:36 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Telling someone to "search" is played out and dead. If there is something that has been addressed or talked about just ignore the "new" thread. There is nothing better than a thread with no replies maybe they'll get the picture.

Quick Reply: How do you clean the headights??