GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Polyurethane Caster Arm Bushings - Can You Please Set the Record Straight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-12, 08:24 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Polyurethane Caster Arm Bushings - Can You Please Set the Record Straight?

The amount of reading I have done on this topic without finding the answer is preposterous

If you look at the Sewell web-site, http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2001/4685.html it says the following, "Warning from manufacturer: Do not remove outer shell. This is a non-Lexus part."

I assume that the outer shell is the thin shell that goes between the caster arm bore and the stock bushing? If that's true, then how do I get that stock bushing out without getting the sleeve out? If I press the bushing out, the sleeve will be pressed out too? Should the old rubber be burned out to preserve the outer sleeve?

I have also heard that the inner sleeve must be removed from the stock bushing and that needs to be pressed into the poly bushing?

Can someone who has done these bushings or the Daizen set the records straight?

Lastly, do these bushings come with poly grease when you order? And do they have grease fittings?

Here is one guy that is supporting what I am saying but I have heard different approaches: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6802585-post23.html

And this guy who has the sticky at the top of this page, well, he removed the sleeve and apparently installed it wrong? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=490123

Thank you

BayArea

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 09-23-12 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-24-12, 06:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Its a PITA process for the PSB ones, but I'd rather use those.

You can use a press [initially] to press the old bushing out, but use a smaller attachment so it doesnt remove the outer sleeve (thats what I've done). What happens is that the press will break/rip the rubber and the inner sleeve (with the rubber meat) will come out. THEN you have to spend a good 20-30 minuets on the outer bushing (which is still on the arm) with some air tools and one of these:

to remove ALL the rubber that is on there. Other people burn it off, its your choice. I've done those PSB bushings 3 times recently. I believe Sewell now only sells the bushing WITH the inner sleeve.

one word of advice; because they are poly, theres no "give" when you're installing them. theres a slight 1/2 a degree angle that doesnt let the 2 bolts on the lower control arm to bolt on. I found a VERY easy way to do it.

[with jack stand in place] Install the arm (without the bushing on) first. So basically, put the 2 bolts on and let the other side hang there in place (with the large bolt that is ON the car going through the now empty hole where the bushing goes)

Once thats in place, put a jack under the control arm lift it which will compress the springs, but dont lift the car. This will put the arm in the proper angle to install the bushing. Before you compress, you'll see the angle that its in.

They dont come with grease, so get your own grease. Now, by hand, put bushing in place, it'll go in a little. Now get a deep socket and a large washer and put it over the hole on the bushing where the cars' bolt will go through. Now use an OTHER jack under that socket/washer and lift up, you'll then see it go in its place. Once its all through, bolt everything back together...

You'll notice that the bushing will be in a slightly weird angle (very slightly) that will fix itself once the weight of the car is on it.

PM me if you have any questions... or if you want me to do them for you

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 09-24-12 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-25-12, 10:48 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow, creative and innovative! Thank you very much for sharing that insight.

I do have one question. for the part where you are using the 2nd jack to get the bushing into the arm... I can see the bushing going in most of the way with this method, but don't you hit a point where the control arm and the top of the bushing is contacting the floor-board and the bushing won't go on any further?

Obviously you've done it and it works, but that's the part I am struggling with in my mind.

Lastly, where are you located?

Thanks,

Luke
Old 09-25-12, 04:06 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I'm in the valley Fresno

Yea, I see what you're saying. I cant remember how it worked, but in any event, its just a matter of getting a crow bar and between the arm and floorboard (with jack in place) 'work it' through til its even. With all the grease on there, its amazing how the bushing just slips in place. I was even able to press it in with my foot, Lube is a good friend
Old 09-25-12, 04:08 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

oh forgot, before using that brush attachment, you'll need to use a hammer and chisel (or whatever fun way you can think of) to chisel out the bulk of the rubber before brushing it.

Also, the 01+ has a different type of rubber, more solid, so its a little more challenging to remove, but the 98-00 has I suppose cheap rubber and it practically breaks off