GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just Received Sewell PSB Caster Arm Bushings and PSB Rack Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-12, 09:21 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Just Received Sewell PSB Caster Arm Bushings and PSB Rack Bushings

Hi folks,

I just received my Sewell PSB poly caster arm bushings, part#507. The bushings look very solid and for anyone wonder, the inner sleeve is included, as you can see from the pics below. I'm excited to get these in!

I also received the PSB poly rack bushings, part#207. I'm quite disappointed with these! They come with two metal cylindrical pcs that are supposed to slide into the poly bushings. The problem is that the metal cylinders have absolutely no resistance when inserted into the bushings. And I'm not just talking no resistance, I'm talking like 1/32" of gap between the cylinder and the poly bushings. It's like the wrong size metal cylinders were sent!? Does anyone have experience with these? I've never installed poly rack bushings on a Lexus but I've installed them on plenty of Mustangs and always had a very tight fit! I'm planning on returning these since this can't be right!

If you purchased the Sewell PSB rack bushings, what was your experience with them?

Thanks

Luke
Old 09-27-12, 09:35 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have these steering rack bushing on since about feb and no issues at all. I was under the car when these went on and they did seem like they went on easier than the old ones came off :-/ u got me light weight trippin now.

But again no issues with mine so far.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...1998/4558.html
Old 09-27-12, 09:49 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Only thing I can think of for why the cylinders are so loose is because the bushings is not round but rather square. Maybe when you insert the bushing into the rack the corners get squeezed down and pinch the metal cylinder tightly? Does anyone know if the rack bore (the one that the bushings insert into) are round or square?

Here is a video that shows how absurdly loose the cylinders are in the bushing:
Old 09-28-12, 07:30 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to hear how the install of those caster arm bushings go. You doing them yourself, or is a shop doing the work?
Old 09-28-12, 08:09 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Had those caster arm bushings. After a year the ride was absolutely terrible. I should've listened to other members on here much sooner. I got rid of those and went with the Roca caster bushings. Normal and smooth ride ever since....

Good luck with those
Old 09-28-12, 08:41 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice, i have daizens steering rack bushings. been 5 months and its been great..
Old 09-28-12, 09:02 AM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed those PSB steering rack bushings and they work fine. They seem loose, but will snug up once you tighten things down. You should notice a slight increase in steering response once installed.
Old 09-28-12, 09:43 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Thanks guys, I'm hoping that once those rack bushings are installed, they will be tighter than they appear off the car.

Originally Posted by repugnante
Had those caster arm bushings. After a year the ride was absolutely terrible. I should've listened to other members on here much sooner. I got rid of those and went with the Roca caster bushings. Normal and smooth ride ever since....

Good luck with those
Did you have the Daizen or the Sewell caster arm bushings? And can you elaborate a bit on what the problem was after 1 year?

Other members have reported that the Daizen inner sleeve diameter was larger than the OEM inner sleeve diameter causing play between the sleeve and the stud.

The Lexus polyurethane caster arm bushing world seems to be convoluted with lots of mixed opinions. I will lube the hell of of these bushings, install them, and hope for the best. I'm looking forward to a very solid front end (this is a guy who used to own a 5-liter Mustang with a complete Delrin solid front end and loved it... not a single rubber or poly bushing there, lol. Never though it was harsh by any means).
Old 09-28-12, 11:02 AM
repugnante
Instructor

I had the Sewell PSB bushings. The exact same ones you have. The ride was terribly rough after a while and it started to make a knocking noise after about a year. There are some threads on here that express in full detail what I am trying to describe to you. FIGS made some excellent points on these bushings were he elaborated on how low quality the poly is on these bushings. He also discussed how the poly will misshape after continuous use because of how the poly sits in the sleeve. When I removed the caster arm, low and behold what FIGS was saying was so true. The bushings looked lopsided
Old 09-28-12, 11:39 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of these issues are why I was saying just go stock. Well either stock, or FIGS. They're both about the same price. Although I would imagine the FIGS would feel a bit tighter, and probably last much longer.

Had the FIGS been out when I needed to replace my caster arms, I would have just gone that route. One time and done.
Old 09-28-12, 01:03 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blanco
All of these issues are why I was saying just go stock. Well either stock, or FIGS. They're both about the same price. Although I would imagine the FIGS would feel a bit tighter, and probably last much longer.

Had the FIGS been out when I needed to replace my caster arms, I would have just gone that route. One time and done.
I agree with you 100%
Old 09-28-12, 02:23 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blanco
Can't wait to hear how the install of those caster arm bushings go. You doing them yourself, or is a shop doing the work?
Plan is to do them myself as of right now. Can't say I feel great about some of the feedback from people though.

I need some guys to step in here and tell me how happy they are after years of trouble free operation with their POLY Caster arm bushings, lol. Where are you guys?

Here is how bad my current oem bushings are... If I turn my wheel all the way to the right (or left) and hit the gas going forward, everything is peachy. If (while still holding the wheel at full lock) I put it in reverse and hit the gas, the front wheels rub on the front fender liner. Umph!

Hoping these cure that along with a light steering shimmy at 55-65mph
Old 11-05-12, 03:59 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Hi folks, for an update on where this went, please see the following:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7540433-post158.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7581185-post161.html

Overall, quite pleased!