GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: What kind of engine should the 2004 Lexus GS use?
Normally aspirated V8 (current M5 and GS430)
36.67%
Supercharged V8 (like the new AMG E55)
38.33%
Twin turbo V8 "SRT"
14.17%
Twin turbo V6 "similar to the supra TT"
10.83%
supercharged V6
0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Engine selection for the 2004 GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-02, 12:48 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally posted by bitkahuna

A formula-1 engine is good for about 1000HP (at between 10,000 and 15,000 rpms! :eek, but it doesn't last more than 1000 miles! Remember there is a trade-off here.
Not to be pedantic but current F1 engines are around 900 HP and the power is just starting to come on around 10K rpm. They routinely rev to 18K rpm with the BMW engine now doing > 19K rpm. :eek:

I believe they are designed to do about 450-500 miles with the current rules. Many don't even make that. (These rules are changing in two years time and the power will drop as reliability needs to be added).

All this talk about huge horsepower for a GS when most people on here wouldn't pay for one anyway.
LOL! Amen!
Old 11-29-02, 11:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Those who want a super high tuned Lexus engine should look at what's happening with BMW M3's right now. The engines are blowing up.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=05803276
Old 11-30-02, 04:53 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default M3's Pandora's Box

Yes, I've been a fan of the M3 for years and still like to own one.. I have seen some crazy things with those M3's it was unbeilvable..

I know this guy that was in my car club - he got rid of his Infinti for a '96 M3 - I thought cool. Atleast I'll have some competition around here.. HEHE.. Anyways - He owned it one week- and he Blew the motor - He couldn't figure it out he drove his M3 as hard as I drive mine on occasion and POW!! hood went up like a Roman Candle..BMW would not replace the motor cause the car was old and out of warranty even though he bought from this old guy that babied the hell out of it...

2nd incidence - One of my good friends who trades cars faster than you can say Kazzam! Got a wild hair up his *** and decide to get this '98 M3 at a real good bargain. It suprised me $20K last summer. Cheap.. It had low miles like 18K miles and He said the original owner says the Engine was replace at 15K! I said WTF.. The motor blew - Guess what the problem was...??
You will never believe this...

............................The guy says he was driving the car in a bad rain storm and dove into a deep section in the road - Water was suck thru the intake and blew the motor!!! What kind of engineering is this? I asked how high the water - My friend found out in less than 2 feet of water...
Well my friend drove the car for a month and traded it for something else.

I had really consider maybe getting an M3 if they came back out with a 4 door version again. But now from What I've seen and read- I'll just have to stick to my guns with my Mildly Modded GS400

QWK

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 11-30-02 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-30-02, 04:59 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Default Lexus Tuned Car

Wouldn't you figure if lexus made a Car - it would be perfect as can be no matter how edge-leading technology it was.........

QWK
Old 11-30-02, 05:23 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

I dont know much about the engine problem with the new M3s, but I can venture to guess that that is what is happening with such high compression. The m5 has no such problems, with most so called "issues" being with the clutch. Compare what the next GS would be to that car rather than the m3...oh and then add on some reliability beyond that just for being a lexus.
Old 11-30-02, 02:40 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

My vote goes to a 4.3 supercharged or 4.7-5.0 liter NA engine. If Lexus makes a competitor for the AMG series or even the M5, it will cost about the same as they do, and will be far beyond my car budget. I am really only interested in what Lexus will likely do with the GS4 series, in the same general price range as they are now. I would prefer to see a moderate increase in power and torque, and redevelopment of the chassis and suspension that would really compete with BMW. If we stick to production luxury cars with automatic transmission, most of us I think would agree that without aftermarket "fixes," the 540i sport is the best overall, but is not as trouble-free as the Lexus GS430. If not for cost (10% more than GS) and service/repair problems and cost, I would buy the 540i instead of the present GS430. A supercharged GS430 at about 350-hp and 375 lb-ft on a new sport chassis/suspension would be my choice. And forget the 540i sport.

Last edited by dipstick; 11-30-02 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-30-02, 03:49 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Originally posted by dipstick
If Lexus makes a competitor for the AMG series or even the M5, it will cost about the same as they do, and will be far beyond my car budget.
Actually, as always, lexus will undercut the competition, ie the GS and the 540/E430, LS and the S-class/7series....And again...just bc you cant afford doesn't make a case for a limited production car to be made or not. It enhances the brand, and should help to make a positive image that you own a lexus. Where would BMW be without their M cars? Not in the same place.

[B]
I am really only interested in what Lexus will likely do with the GS4 series, in the same general price range as they are now. I would prefer to see a moderate increase in power and torque, and redevelopment of the chassis and suspension that would really compete with BMW. If we stick to production luxury cars with automatic transmission, most of us I think would agree that without aftermarket "fixes," the 540i sport is the best overall, but is not as trouble-free as the Lexus GS430. If not for cost (10% more than GS) and service/repair problems and cost, I would buy the 540i instead of the present GS430. A supercharged GS430 at about 350-hp and 375 lb-ft on a new sport chassis/suspension would be my choice. And forget the 540i sport.
</B]

Now, no matter what, the next GS will be more expensive. Hell, essentially the same car has gone up from a sticker of 49k, to 7k more (the GS4).

You also seem to forget we pay the high service costs from day one of owning a lexus. BMW, however, has at least 3 yrs free maintenance...and I believe they just upped it to 4 on some cars.
Old 11-30-02, 04:46 PM
LexFather

Now, no matter what, the next GS will be more expensive. Hell, essentially the same car has gone up from a sticker of 49k, to 7k mo
True, but when next generations come out, historically they are cheaper than the previous generation.
Old 12-01-02, 05:51 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Thumbs up Yup Yup!

I definetly agree with ThemisN and 1Sick...
You remember the '97 GS300 - Check out how much that big daddy retail was like $60-62K... Geezz I was thinking Those people who bought the 96-97 Got freakin screwd! All for a inline 6- I am glad i was a late-bloomer..

My '99 GS Sticker for $52K and thats before I got my 4 Grand discount for ordering

QWK

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 12-01-02 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-01-02, 04:55 PM
Lex-Tech
Driver School Candidate

Count on naturally aspirated. Due to tougher emissions turbo's wouldn't cut it. They suck up too much heat that is needed for catalyst convertor light off.

The VVTi V8 (4.0L) is capable of making 400 horsepower N/A. Lexus used a freer flowing Intake and Exhaust Manifolds, higher rate springs, cams with more lift, and more variable cam timing. It rev'd to a lofty 8,000 rpm.

The latest rumor that is going around is that there's a 2JZ & 3UZ engines with VVTi-L. From what I was told (a long time ago) Lexus didn't want high strung engines in their US cars. So if these rumored engines do make it into production, I'd guess the 6 would go in the IS, and maybe the GS ... the 8 would go in the SC/GS.

I am not know sure Lexus feels about supercharging, but I wouldn't rule it out. Look at how many superchargers TRD has produced.

I know Lexus wants to be competitive, but I don't think they're going to try to win with horsepower ... just a more refined GS that does everything better than before.
Old 12-01-02, 07:43 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

Those of you who voted for an SC have no idea. Number one it'd be more expensive but that aside, own a turbo car and then drive an SC car and you'll find there is NO different in reliability and the turbo car is both faster and more fun under all conditions than the SC car. Forget SC, that would make me NOT buy it. Twin turbo vote here.
Old 12-02-02, 12:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally posted by Guru
Those of you who voted for an SC have no idea. Number one it'd be more expensive but that aside, own a turbo car and then drive an SC car and you'll find there is NO different in reliability and the turbo car is both faster and more fun under all conditions than the SC car. Forget SC, that would make me NOT buy it. Twin turbo vote here.
Hmm... interesting then that companies like Mercedes, Ford / Jaguar, and Toyota (Tundra SC, for example), and probably others I can't think of right now, have made EXTREMELY fast and reliable vehicles with them and they're not all expensive.
Old 12-02-02, 11:04 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Hmm... interesting then that companies like Mercedes, Ford / Jaguar, and Toyota (Tundra SC, for example), and probably others I can't think of right now, have made EXTREMELY fast and reliable vehicles with them and they're not all expensive.
Yes but make them with Toyota's reliability? Much tougher. Isn't the new V8 SC E class $70K? Tundra SC is a good example but it's certainly not a 1US/3UZ motor.
Old 12-02-02, 01:03 PM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

Toyota has the most popular car of all time, the corolla has sold over 24 million units!

anyway, the ferrari engine is not toast after 50K miles and know one knows yet because no one has driven one that much and if they have i have never seen one with that much mileage.

Also if you take proper car of a high performance engine and it is engineered properly you shouldn't have any problem. Look at the Celica 1.8L 2ZZ-GE it revs like hell and produces 180HP from 1.8L and it lasts because good design and care. Honda S2000 engine revs to 9000+RPM and last again because of good design.

But i agree the GS should not have a high strung engine and should be more torque with a nice flat power curve.

And to build something with Toyota/Lexus reliablity is hard and others haven't been able to do it.
Old 12-03-02, 03:00 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

This would be my prediction for the next GS series.

GS330 - between 240-260 hp

GS430 - between 320-330 hp

Like everyone else here, I hope Lexus will develop a high performance GS car to compete with M5 and E55. I feel they should increase the displacement to 5.0 and supercharge it, and definitely improve the suspension, brakes, steering, etc.

I feel with all the major luxury brands (MB, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, even Cadillac) developing high pefrormance sedans, Lexus has no choice but to develop one also if it wants to be recognized as a premier luxury brand.

A Lexus GS500 Supercharched with around 450-500 hp would be a good place to start.

Quick Reply: Engine selection for the 2004 GS