GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: What kind of engine should the 2004 Lexus GS use?
Normally aspirated V8 (current M5 and GS430)
36.67%
Supercharged V8 (like the new AMG E55)
38.33%
Twin turbo V8 "SRT"
14.17%
Twin turbo V6 "similar to the supra TT"
10.83%
supercharged V6
0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Engine selection for the 2004 GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 03:33 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

heh sure

GS500 w/ 5.0L w/ 500hp would be a nice thing to have for a rainy day .. even w/ 4x4 4WD
Old 12-03-02, 07:53 PM
LexFather

The VVTi V8 (4.0L) is capable of making 400 horsepower N/A. Lexus used a freer flowing Intake and Exhaust Manifolds, higher rate springs, cams with more lift, and more variable cam timing. It rev'd to a lofty 8,000 rpm.
I've been saying this for a while now. The 4.0 (well 4.3 now) is damn near de-tuned. Now get this. For the PERFORMANCE models, GS and IS, HP means a lot marketing wise. But for most people with 2 grains of sense, it does not mean much. The LS 430 still has "only" 290hp for example and is the top selling car in it's class.

Also UNDERSTAND these special edition cars are very low volume cars. What AMG/M etc does is BOOST the whole companies Image. That nut in the 323 is thinking this is the same company that makes the M5 etc etc etc. Lexus does not have a Image problem to sell cars. It sells cars based on the cars MERITS, not on it's HERITAGE.

Think about that.

I got a question. How many people would buy a 60-65k GS 400 with 400hp???? How many???? I would LOVE to, but I could not.
Old 12-03-02, 09:15 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yah i bet it would be something unpractically priced like the acura NSX, 80grand for what????!! an nsx is cool, but not that cool.
Old 12-03-02, 11:41 PM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

if would could get a nice torque bump to go with the higher HP that would be awesome, 400HP and 400ft/lbs of torque would make an awesome car!

dont forget when the GS400 came out it suprised everyone with its HP, handling and overall performance i think it is time Lexus did it again!
Old 12-04-02, 01:11 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

But for most people with 2 grains of sense, it does not mean much. The LS 430 still has "only" 290hp for example and is the top selling car in it's class.

Actually, the reason the LS430 does so well is because it reaches people in a lower price bracket. The S430 is a superior car in most aspects, while the LS430 is uninspiring. I am not hte only one who believes this. The LS430 could have blown Merc, but they didn't. In addition, horses are of little concern in these full size luxury sedan cruisers..that's why the "only" 290 hp is not an issue. It IS, however, an issue in the sport sedan market.

Also UNDERSTAND these special edition cars are very low volume cars. What AMG/M etc does is BOOST the whole companies Image. That nut in the 323 is thinking this is the same company that makes the M5 etc etc etc. Lexus does not have a Image problem to sell cars. It sells cars based on the cars MERITS, not on it's HERITAGE.

You are correct..up until the end. Lexus has image problem, in that it cannot sell sport sedans to people who sport sedans, when they do not sell...a sport sedan that competes with the big guns. They have a good competitor for the 540, thats it. But not for the guy who wants something that stands out.

[B]

I got a question. How many people would buy a 60-65k GS 400 with 400hp???? How many???? I would LOVE to, but I could not.
[B]
Since you say yourself this would bea limited production car, why even debate how many people would? You answer your own question. And AGAIN, bc most people won't, doesn't mean they can't sell 3000 of them a year at least in the US. You can count me in as 1 of 3000.
Think of it this way...a new GS430 costs you 56 say....maybe less...but for an extra 10k or so, you can get 100 more horses. How much would you spend in mods to get to the same place? Of course I would still mod it, but you see how it becomes worth it...And if its NA, then you can still supercharge it evenutally, etc...
HOT.
Old 12-05-02, 12:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally posted by ThemisN
The S430 is a superior car in most aspects, while the LS430 is uninspiring. I am not hte only one who believes this.
I guess this should continue in the LS forum, but I wonder why you (and anyone else) thinks this.

The S430 has LESS power, is MUCH more expensive, has the AWFUL (and typically German) ergonomics, especially their inscrutible nav system, and has proven to be less reliable and worse quality. Apart from that it's great.

It does have their active body control, which is cool though.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-05-02 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-05-02, 01:37 AM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

The new LS430 are extremely nice cars and i would buy it over the MB any day, the lexus interior and reliability is unrivaled, the performance of the car is very good and shouldn't be underestimated.
Old 12-05-02, 01:49 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

I've been saying this for a while now. The 4.0 (well 4.3 now) is damn near de-tuned. Now get this. For the PERFORMANCE models, GS and IS, HP means a lot marketing wise. But for most people with 2 grains of sense, it does not mean much. The LS 430 still has "only" 290hp for example and is the top selling car in it's class.

Think about that.

[/QUOTE

BMW or MB has no problem selling any of their AMG or M cars, so if Lexus decides to sell a high performance car i think it will have no problem selling it. I dont have the money to buy it either, but that is why its considered a low volume high performance car. its not for everybody.

The reason Lexus has problems selling the GS series compared to the 5 series is because many people dont look at the GS as a sport sedan that can match the 5 series or even the E class. I feel the GS and 5 series are almost equals in terms of luxury and performance, but if u look at the sale figures the GS doesnt do that well. So a high performance Lexus sedan would change many people's perception about Lexus, which would help sales.

But thats not the only reason Lexus should build a high performance car. I feel if Lexus wants to be the BEST, and not just one of the luxury companies, then it has to show it can make great cars with extraordinary performance, that other companies can respect.

If Lexus gets serious about performance and it keeps up the great reliability and service, there will be many ex - BMW and MB owners, and then Lexus could be the BEST luxury brand. Hopefully, this is the direction Lexus goes, but we will see soon enough when the next GS comes out.
Old 12-08-02, 08:07 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Originally posted by bitkahuna

I guess this should continue in the LS forum, but I wonder why you (and anyone else) thinks this.

The S430 has LESS power, is MUCH more expensive, has the AWFUL (and typically German) ergonomics, especially their inscrutible nav system, and has proven to be less reliable and worse quality. Apart from that it's great.

It does have their active body control, which is cool though.
You know when the performance of THOSE cars might mean something? when there is an a theoretical M7, an S55 and a supercharged LS430 going head to head.
Otherwise when you are comparing the horsepower of boats that both have v8s...they are there to get thing goinga t a decent time...nothing else.
I looked at the LS430 when my father bought his S430.....
Ill agree the interior is nice. So is the interior of the S-class....honestly, i think the interior of the S will hold up longer just bc it isnt as 'bubbly'. Secondly...in ALL types of cars, the japanese beat the germans in the nav. department. This is not a point worth arguing, and benz is actually re-designing theirs.

ANd lastly...worse quality? this might be the case int he M-class, C-class, or even early years of the previous E-class...not the S-class where they seem to have done a better job.

Basically..when u are spending 65-75k for a luxury sedan...the S430 SHOWS u spent that money as opposed to looking like a glorified avalon from the rear.
Old 12-08-02, 11:02 PM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

No way it looks like the back of a avalon. Also the LS430 looks everybit as good as the S-Class from the outside and if you are concerned with what the car looks like from the outside and to other people over luxury, build quality and reliabliity then maybe you have other things on you buying list.
Old 12-09-02, 09:14 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Originally posted by IS200 3SGTE
No way it looks like the back of a avalon. Also the LS430 looks everybit as good as the S-Class from the outside and if you are concerned with what the car looks like from the outside and to other people over luxury, build quality and reliabliity then maybe you have other things on you buying list.
This is funny considering I went through the acutal buying process of such a car...and when i have seen all 3 attributes you have listed in the S-class, as well as better exterior design than the LS.

We could go on and on...basically, as a GS4 owner, Im glad the LS430 is getting redesigned early in an effort to provide a more enticing product in comparison to the other 2 in the same class. This is supposed to be our flagship, and it seems some Lexus bigwigs saw what I was saying to be true, otherwise a redesign would NOT be on the way.
Old 12-11-02, 10:41 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just read that the new BMW 5 series will be offering the following engines:

Engines for Europe:
Diesel:
520d - 150HP
525d - 184HP
530d - 218HP
540d - 258HP
M5 (5.5L V10 with 500HP)

Gas:
520i - 170HP
525i - 192HP
530i - 231HP
535i - 272HP
545i - 333HP
M5 (5.5L V10 with 500HP)

2005 they'll get direct injection and VANOSIII engines.
A more easy to use I-drive system will be standard in all models, a six-gear-auto will be available, too.

I just hope the lexus engineers are reading this
Attached Thumbnails Engine selection for the 2004 GS-5series1.jpg  
Old 12-11-02, 10:41 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Here is another shot
Attached Thumbnails Engine selection for the 2004 GS-5series2.jpg  
Old 12-11-02, 10:42 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

last one
Attached Thumbnails Engine selection for the 2004 GS-5series4.jpg  
Old 12-12-02, 09:48 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DrewGS4
last one
Back view reminds me of a Tiburon. Rear is just NASS-T!!

Quick Reply: Engine selection for the 2004 GS