GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Keep it or sell it?
Keep it. Sink the money into and you'll be happy with it for a long time.
18.18%
It's not worth it. Find another one or a different kind of car altogether.
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

99 GS300 keep it or run away while I can??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-12, 12:19 AM
Boston35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 GS300 keep it or run away while I can??

I recently bought a 99 GS300 with 104k for $3800 and it has quite a few more issues than I anticipated. The original owner has offered to buy it back and I have to decide soon if I am going to follow through with it. I could really use some experienced knowledgeable advice.

Problems:
Mechanical:
- Oil leak at front seals. It's also due for a timing belt so this can be repaired at the same time.
- Oil leak at rear main seal. I had a mechanic tell me that it's possible that the oil leaking from the front of the engine is being blown back to the rear main seal when the car is moving. He said there's no way to tell until the front is oil leak is fixed and the engine is cleaned. It seems far fetched to me. When the car runs for awhile it leaks right under the rear main seal and I can always see a drop forming at the bottom of the seal.
- AC compressor is leaking but AC blows ice cold.
- Exhaust leak and O2 sensor code.
- Suspension noise and instability in steering wheel at 60 mph - I think I've figured out that this is the stabilizer links but there could be more to it. The links are a cheap part but I've heard they can be a pain to get off without power tools & heat - not sure if that's the case on these cars.
-Maintenance appears to have been neglected but not terribly.

Body:
- A couple of small rust spots at the top of the windshield as well as a considerable amount underneath the car and in the engine bay.
- Front bumper cover cracked/damaged and not aligned perfectly with hood.
- Evidence of rear collision and shoddy repair; a small bondo seem and tailights not flush.
- Dent on passenger front fender and scratch on rear fender.
- It's been painted: nice finish but otherwise a crappy paint job. also missing bumper mouldings.

The good:
- It looks really nice despite all the body issues. A classic case of good from far but far from good.
- It has a nice Pioneer GPS head unit.
- It has relatively new tires.
- 1-owner and clean carfax for whatever thats worth.
- The ball joints have been replaced.
- It has a Viper remote start and alarm.
- Interior is nice aside from a dime sized tear in the leather of the passenger seat (doesn't show up in pic)

So what do you think? Is it worth keeping or should I grab my chance to run away? I can do some of the work myself but realistically most of it I can't. I don't have a garage or power tools. And some of this just can't be fixed like the rust on the windshield. It's a nice car with alot of potential. It's also a car that needs alot of work and money pumped into it.

I know this is a long post. Thanks to anyone who read all the way through and I really appreciate any advice.
Old 10-07-12, 12:57 AM
vipers
Rookie

honestly, sounds like you need to ditch the car... from the sounds of it, it wasnt well taken care of.. and even if you fix the issues, youll just run into more. and body cancer is BAD! and unless its taken care of properly, will continue to eat away at the car. not to mention the badly repaired rear end damage, if the bondo is bad enough, it will eventually crack and fall apart. just doesnt seem like a wise investment
Old 10-07-12, 03:19 AM
Zookie2Gs4
Driver School Candidate

^^^ I agree. My 98 Gs has 113k and has none of these issues. The only thing thats ever failed has been the notorious door lock issue. That many problems probably means you got a basket case on your hands!
Old 10-07-12, 05:21 AM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not too bad of a price, you also have to understand owning a lex is on a different expense level than a civic. Where in MA are you near? Have my mechanic give you a quote.
Old 10-07-12, 07:21 AM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems pretty rough for that few miles. I'd take it back and look for a better car, they are out there.
Old 10-07-12, 08:34 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ditch it, so I can buy it.
Old 10-07-12, 08:49 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Get rid of it, their are plenty more gs' you can get without these problems for a few more dollars,I'd call that guy right now, go get ur money.....
Old 10-07-12, 01:41 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

too many problems both mechanical and body, sell it back to the owner
Old 10-07-12, 04:30 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Run like hell. I'd much rather spend more on a car that has been taken care of.
Old 10-07-12, 04:43 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Like I said before you bought it, ditch it, it's not worth the headache
Old 10-07-12, 07:08 PM
Boston35
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input. Today I told the owners that I do want to return it so that should happen in the next couple days. I'm going to lose a couple hundred in registry fees but I guess its worth it. It's a shame because I really do like the car. When I look at each problem one by one I'm like yeah that's not that bad I can take care of that. But there's so many of those problems its add up to a little too much work. Then you have to think if all of this went wrong with it now, what's next? I just wish they were more honest with me in the first place so I could have made a much lower offer or walked away. I guess the lesson here is never trust that a 1-owner clean carfax means the car was well cared for. Anyone want to talk me into keeping it before its too late?
Old 10-07-12, 07:31 PM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mileage is pretty low i guess. but all those other things you need to get rid of the car lol, im pretty sure you'll find another one with less problems.
Old 10-07-12, 07:45 PM
DubbStep
Pole Position

I disagree... For the price you paid, Id say it was still a score. Id say dump some cash into it. Or spend an additional 2gs and get a better one....
Old 10-07-12, 10:36 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston35
I guess the lesson here is never trust that a 1-owner clean carfax means the car was well cared for.
It's true. That first owner could've treated the car like crap from day one.
Old 10-07-12, 10:50 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

y not do it slowly doesnt seem bad price at all, you cant really buy much for under 4k and almost anything even civics gonna have a couple issues.

Quick Reply: 99 GS300 keep it or run away while I can??