GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Muscle show = no love

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 10:07 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Voluptuous Intimate Person
Old 10-12-12, 07:09 AM
GS Trilogy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cougnut

I too own a Cougar but not a 70 Cougar. It's a 69 Cougar with a Cleveland mid block and 4sp manual. It's also not a XR-7 but a standard. That's my next project after i semi finish with the GSTrilogy. G'luck with the Cougar.

Originally Posted by erknjerk78
I concur! Like SteveCraig, I own an old school as well. A pretty little kitty...1970 Mercury Cougar XR7 Convertible. It has a 351 Windsor, but it's about to become a 351 Clevor (Windsor with Cleveland heads). Anyhow, I grew up on classic cars, but I can appreciate all types of cars (obviously).
Old 10-12-12, 07:18 AM
GS Trilogy
Driver

Default Cougnut

I too own a Cougar but not a 70 Cougar. It's a 69 Cougar with a Cleveland mid block and 4sp manual. It's also not a XR-7 but a standard. That's my next project after i semi finish with the GSTrilogy. G'luck with the Cougar.

Originally Posted by erknjerk78
I concur! Like SteveCraig, I own an old school as well. A pretty little kitty...1970 Mercury Cougar XR7 Convertible. It has a 351 Windsor, but it's about to become a 351 Clevor (Windsor with Cleveland heads). Anyhow, I grew up on classic cars, but I can appreciate all types of cars (obviously).
Old 10-12-12, 04:09 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

'74 challenger owner here. Have had the car for almost 30 years. Still like my mopar muscle but the lexus might be faster and way more comfortable.
Old 10-12-12, 04:26 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I love muscle cars but I hate going to muscle car meets. It's usually just a bunch of guys standing around with bone stock C6 Corvettes, Mustangs, and newer Camaros. It's always fun to see the old muscle cars that were restored though.
Old 10-12-12, 04:37 PM
TNH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by themccoy14
As I was leaving I saw a family about 20 feet behind me and the mom was cracking up laughing so hard she was crying. Her kids were clearly confused asking their mom why she was laughing. She points at my car and I see her mouth " the wheels are outside the fenders!". Clearly not my scene but there were some amazing cars.
I don't think its the 'scene' that was the issue. In my experience, most true enthusiasts appreciate a huge variety of cars from imports to old schools. When you mod your car in a way that is very extreme and actually interferes with normal driving, even car enthusiasts will have a hard time appreciating it. The major camber wheel thing is just an odd car trend that no driving enthusiast is going to understand. It kind of goes against what cars are for in the first place.... extremely tilted wheels that are popping out of the wheel well don't make any sense, so they are not going to be accepted by most.
It goes way beyond trends like exposed carbon fiber, big wings, or any other controversial styling.... because none of those things prevent you from driving normally.

I never really say much about this trend because so many here like it, but since it is being discussed, can someone tell me what the appeal is?

When I see it, it looks like the car got stepped on. It looks like suspension components broke and the car is stranded. I can understand wanting maximum lip (is that the main reason people do this?), but not at the expense of irregularly warn tires, zero suspension travel, terrible ride quality, and loss of handling.

I actually wanted to make a thread on this forum asking someone to post a video of one of these extreme cambered cars driving on a public road. The reason for me asking is because I have very conservative wheels on my car, they are nearly flush but have a proper width tire on them and no noticeable camber. My car is fairly low (low by normal standards, not VIP low), but even I have to be very careful driving to avoid holes, bumps, and fender damage while turning into driveways and stuff.

I wanted to see a video of someone's extreme camber because I wanted to see how difficult it is to drive like that. I'm assuming it makes it incredibly difficult to do anything with, to the point of making the car a real hassle to drive. I may be wrong, I am basing this completely on looks and my own driving difficulties with a conservative set up. To me it looks like these VIP cars can barely be driven, or have to drive incredibly slow all the time to avoid damaging the car or wheels.
Am I wrong?
Old 10-12-12, 04:46 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
As mentioned, those guys are less about show and more about go...

they usually still don't understand the 400, 500, or 600 whp turbo small motor car, but they have more respect for those than they do a car that is all show and no go, as the typical VIP car adheres to... sure, some are fast, but they give up handling and acceleration by running stretched tires and crazy amounts of camber...

VIP in a sense has become the new "ricer" IMO, looks fast, isn't...
I agree. It seems VIP is becoming the new "rice" as they call it. The whole "stance" scene is starting to go the same route too.

Maybe the next big trend will be small sunken in wheels with high offsets, positive camber, and giant tires....
Old 10-12-12, 05:38 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
stock C6 Corvettes, Mustangs, and newer Camaros. .
Don't believe these really qualify. These are a far superior machine compared to a vintage muscle car in every way except simplicity & character.

Light weight mid-size 2 dr. coupes with large bore V8 engines stuffed between the wheel wells.
Designed to blister the straight line from a standing stop. Vinyl seats ( naugahyde was available for a few years until they over hunted all the naugas), no cup holders, thin steering wheels, real chrome bumpers & stainless trim, pushbutton AM/FM radios that had a waxed string behind the dial to move the orange indicator.
"69 & '70 Cougars, '74 Challenger & my Buick had full size spares, 4V carbs. & room enough to sneak in 2-3 more in the trunk at the drive in movie. These were the muscle cars of the day.
Friend has a factory '67 Comet, fully restored to showroom condition. 427- dual quads under the hood bolted to a top-loader 4 speed, rubber floor mats, no radio, no heater, 4.11:1 rear end. Car has factory holes in the wheel wells to access the factory header bolts. 2 came into Canada that year, this is one.This was a factory drag pac car of the day.
Street legal in every way, believe it will run low 12's at the quarter.
Attached Thumbnails Muscle show = no love-b0000831.jpg  

Last edited by SteveCraig; 10-12-12 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-12-12, 06:30 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Lol I use to live in Springfield last year. When I was there, I had a red civic ek hatchback and yes, you are right. Mainly neons, fords, and etc. The only import car meet was at Andy's on sunshine rd? Well atleast or hoping that you'll set a trends. It's a long shot but eh, oh well. Sooner or later, they'll grow to like it or stay hating it. It's a small town. It's like driving an impala hitting switches in Vietnam.
Old 10-14-12, 10:16 AM
bluGSjc
Driver School Candidate

Haha its funny someone posted about small towns with no VIP scenes. I'm in Round Hill, va which is a very small town. They do have car shows but like most of you have posted mainly old school muscle cars and rat rods. Now I do love all types of cars, however I drive a 99 Gs400 and with the full exhaust plus some other goodies it always cracks me up when I start my car up next to some old guys standing by their mustangs/camaros and they hear what my car sounds like... I guess you could say they have a new respect for these types of cars now! LOL also I'm in search of a scene out here in northern Virginia?! If anyone knows of anyone or any spots to go too please let me know. I moved here from scottsdale, az and its almost a culture shock being out here in va. Anyways just wanted to share that not all muscle car people are gonna hate. Hell most of the time they want to learn more about these types of cars we're all building.
Old 10-14-12, 11:33 AM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

Maybe I'm wrong but I Thought VIP was derived from the word "bippu" which is what this style is referred to in japan??? On another note, I have respect for a large variety of cars and styles. The thing that erks me is when people try to use a car for a certain style it should not be used for. Like a Saturn with a huge wing and altezza tails with neon underneath, or a gs with a lift kit and 24" rims with lambo or suicide doors and unnecessary fiberglass everything such as a dashboard to match the ugly colored exterior. These are things I don't understand. As for VIP I very much like the style, and yes I'll admit it may not be as functional as a stock car but it is still drivable and tasteful. It requires a higher level of modification. You can't just slap on some cheap parts without doing your homework and expect things to work. That's why I appreciate it and actual prefer that style for these cars over any other. Second would be a performance or sporty look but I wouldn't go that route with this car cuz it's too heavy. That's why I got a 240 :P. Anyway just my .02 carry on
Old 10-14-12, 04:31 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

^^ mister get technical hahaha
Old 10-15-12, 11:28 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Different strokes for different folks, as per my initial reply. I'm not one to judge anyone else.
I run a vinyl roof & 8 track player on my ride...........!.
I'm still not sure what VIP means.

Can someone post a pic of their car here or possibly send me a link ?
Old 10-15-12, 01:14 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some old American Iron (and some old European stuff too) and am involved in the old car scene...

First, if you go to a typical classic car cruise/show/meet with a modified Lexus, you're not going to be surrounded by people who appreciate stuff like that, and that's putting it mildly.

And even in the classic car scene there's lots of different groups. I have a traditional hot rod, and the traditional hot rod guys will see a 32 or 34 Ford with IFS and a modern crate motor and billet stuff and radial tires and sneer at it. Then you have people who insist that their car is dead ***** original, if you have incorrect hose clamps they sneer. Then you have guys who are convinced that if you don't have radials and disc brakes that you're going to kill yourself, and then you have guys that drive their cars daily and sneer at the trailer queens...

But overall most of these guys don't like imports, and a VIP style car isn't their cup of tea at all. And the vast majority of us with old stuff generally are annoyed at people who show up with 1-2 year old modern cars.
Old 10-15-12, 04:05 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rld14
Then you have people who insist that their car is dead ***** original and then you have guys that drive their cars daily and sneer at the trailer queens..
Mine is close to original but not quite there. I always say it's one of none ever made.
The interior is Sandalwood, kind of a funky beige that wasn't available that year with bucket seats & floor shift console. Well...........Legendary made me some seat covers, I restored a console/floor shifter & presto - one of none ever made.

Drive mine every chance I get but feel bad for the trailer queen guys. So much $$ into it they hesitate putting it on a public street.

Quick Reply: Muscle show = no love