GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

help locating the VSS wire behind the OEM radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 05:59 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default help locating the VSS wire behind the OEM radio

trying to locate the VSS wire behind my oem radio. I have an 01 with ML and NAV. I have read that it is the Violet w/ white wire, but i am not sure if i have to go digging for it or if it is already on the Molex connector behind my radio.

Can anyone help?

Debonair provided me with wiring diagram a few years back but I am not too good with reading the schematics. I mean, it LOOKS like it would be there, but i am not sure.

I have a bunch of empty pin holes on the metra kit, and extra pins that i de-pinned from the other locations. Please please please let me know what you guys find.

Please dont post up saying to tap it under the dash, behind the speedometer, or behind the kick panel, i already know about these and want to use my wiring metra harness wherever I can.

Last edited by excluesive; 10-08-12 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-08-12, 06:12 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Gotta dig for it, its under the steering wheel. Its actually quite easy to find.

Ive got a picture...brb
Old 10-08-12, 06:17 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so sadly the write up's pics were deleted... This is all I have:

Heres the install write up, might help:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...k-40-pics.html
Old 10-08-12, 06:18 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

The pic above is the driver side fuse panel. The gray metal you see bolted to the side is the E-brake. Just find the blue plug tap into wire and you're good to go.
Old 10-08-12, 09:08 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

This doesnt help me all that much, per my original post, which i have now highlighted, please dont post up saying to tap it under the dash, behind the speedometer, or behind the kick panel, i already know about these and want to use my wiring metra harness wherever I can.
Old 10-08-12, 09:35 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by excluesive
trying to locate the VSS wire behind my oem radio. I have an 01 with ML and NAV. I have read that it is the Violet w/ white wire, but i am not sure if i have to go digging for it or if it is already on the Molex connector behind my radio.

Can anyone help?

Debonair provided me with wiring diagram a few years back but I am not too good with reading the schematics. I mean, it LOOKS like it would be there, but i am not sure.

I have a bunch of empty pin holes on the metra kit, and extra pins that i de-pinned from the other locations. Please please please let me know what you guys find.

Please dont post up saying to tap it under the dash, behind the speedometer, or behind the kick panel, i already know about these and want to use my wiring metra harness wherever I can.
Well that ^^ was unnecessary...
The following users liked this post:
989x (04-28-20)
Old 10-08-12, 09:36 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

oh and btw, you can tap under the dash
The following users liked this post:
989x (05-04-20)
Old 10-08-12, 09:49 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

i'm not trying to be stupid, it was necessary though because I had typed that originally, but its exactly what your post was telling me to do. I just made it more clear in case someone else didnt want to read my whole post before responding.
Old 10-09-12, 08:55 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

anyone else around that knows how to read a wiring diagram?
Old 10-09-12, 02:53 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

i guess i will f with it myself.
Old 10-09-12, 03:52 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The speed signal originates from SP1 pin on the abs/trc/vsc ecu that calcs the speed from the incoming abs wheel sensors signals. It then goes directly to the instrument cluster over a Blue wire, and the out of the cluster as a Green wire from SPD output pin directly to the PPS (steering ecu), but if it's and OEM equipped NAV car the Green wire goes into a junction connector first and comes out split as a Violet/White wire going to the PPS and the second wire goes directly to the trunk to the NAV-ECU box. The NAV-ECU then sends speed signals back up to the OEM nav screen..

So the Raw data wire would be the Green or Violet/White wire at the Cluster, PPS, or NAV ECU. But as you want to pull the signal from directly behind the radio, there is also a wire in the NAV-Specific Blue connector behind the deck that is not part of the two radio connectors lower on the stock NAV screen. I'm not sure if the Metra harness your using is gonna interface to the Blue NAV connector at all?

I'm not 100% if you can use the Speed wire in the Blue connector as a SPD interface for an aftermarket nav or such, since it may be a different signal type, or comm protocol after leaving the NAV-ECU. I've never tried it.

Are you hooking up a aftermarket NAV or maybe a Boost Controller / Engine Management device to this feed?

MY car was a NON-NAV and I used the PPS wire to feed my HKS EVC boost controller.

I have done a radio install on another GS that was OEM-NAV but the double din he bought was video/ipod only not navigation, so I did not get to try tapping the SPD wire behind the radio in the stock NAV car..

Can you post a pic of the metra harness your using?
Old 10-09-12, 04:06 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Old 10-09-12, 04:10 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Here is the blue connector behind the OEM NAV screen. There is a Violet/White wire in there, but it is an output from the nav computer in the trunk.

Old 10-09-12, 04:26 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

below is the pic of the metra harness

from what you are saying it will more than likely not be in the molex that this connects to.

I will give the other wire a shot on the blue connector, but as you said, it might not be raw data. This WAS the info I was hoping to find out about, let's hope it works.
Old 10-10-12, 07:00 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

wire it under the dash

Quick Reply: help locating the VSS wire behind the OEM radio