GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Stock headlights ideas needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 09:36 AM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock headlights ideas needed

I just got projector headlights off of ebay with a hid conversion kit. I am satisfied with it for what I paid. Now I have a set of stock 1999 headlights to play with....my goal to make a couple of bucks.

If you were in the same situation....remember to flip for money...what would yo do with these? Sell as is or do a projector conversion on them? If your answers is conversion please take into account best profit margin compared to work required and parts necessary to make it happen.

Also a side note. My family owns a car collision shop. I have a good chance with a little patience to get most any type projector for no cost. We trash a ton of headlights.
Old 10-10-12, 10:21 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

PM sent!! Lets do business.
Old 10-10-12, 11:10 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

since you have access to projectors why not retrofit your original headlights for yourself and sell the ebay ones.

Otherwise your best profit margin will be to sell your stock originals without touching them and selling the projectors on the side without touching them.
Old 10-10-12, 11:31 AM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
since you have access to projectors why not retrofit your original headlights for yourself and sell the ebay ones.

Otherwise your best profit margin will be to sell your stock originals without touching them and selling the projectors on the side without touching them.
No desire to put them on my car.

I had this same idea but a project/challenge sounded like a better idea especially if I could make a dollar or two while keeping myself occupied.
Old 10-10-12, 11:40 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

retrofit and sell to club lexus for a cheap price, we're all family here.
Old 10-10-12, 12:58 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
retrofit and sell to club lexus for a cheap price, we're all family here.
Agree with this. Help out the community, lol. Everyone and their mom wants a retro haha.
Old 10-10-12, 01:12 PM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Agree with this. Help out the community, lol. Everyone and their mom wants a retro haha.
This will be a given since I will be getting them for cheap. Giving back is always a good thing!
Old 10-10-12, 01:12 PM
4eign
Lead Lap

PM me in need of projectors!
Old 10-10-12, 01:34 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

I know if you do the retrofits and want to sell them, I'm in. We don't get any love on any parts on the east coast. Everything is SOCAL local first. Help some of the East Coast folks out.
Old 10-10-12, 01:50 PM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by portcityplaya
I know if you do the retrofits and want to sell them, I'm in. We don't get any love on any parts on the east coast. Everything is SOCAL local first. Help some of the East Coast folks out.
Savannah Ga here. My best friend lives in Charlotte I go every couple of months.
Old 10-10-12, 02:02 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

what other retrofits have you done? Selling a pair on here retrofitted would be great idea... there are a lot of folks that have been looking for some already done. I just liked the challenge of doing my own which is why i said sell them untouched. GL either way... I have a feeling you'll make some quick connections on here with some solid folks ^_^

i'm getting ready to start my 2nd retrofit... this time gonna try the Q45s. Just getting all the components together so I'll have the ballasts, lights, harnesses... just slap um on. I did the LS430 retrofit but at the time only have 55w 8000k ballasts and cheap ebay lights... getting some philips 6000k on friday and then switching out the ballasts to 35w for the final night shots... been way too long just laggin

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 10-10-12 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-10-12, 04:05 PM
str8lucky
Pole Position

I would definitely be interested in some projectors or the complete conversion. Where you located?
Old 10-12-12, 10:31 AM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

I have never done one that is why I wanted the challenge. I have to acquire the projectors first then I will be able to do mine and entertain people that want to just buy the projectors and do their own. Its completely random when I will get them and how many as I have to wait for cars to be wrecked and brought into our shop. I could have none for a month and then have 10 sets in a week. Thanks all for replying and giving me some great ideas and options! I now know what to be looking for and hope to be able to give myself a interesting project and also help out this community with my unique opportunity to score some projectors.
Old 10-12-12, 12:10 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

yup... u'll have fun knocking these out. just takes a lil time and question askin. There are some really good DIYs that you can literally follow step by step... just don't skip a step that seems small like i did lol set me back on time cause i had to go back to that very step. A couple drops of epoxy :-/
Old 10-12-12, 07:08 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Retro would be fun and you can gain experience doing it since you have unlimited access to headlights. To avoid hassles, do a retro with a projector that has brackets made from luxury mods or somewhere. I did a tsx projector retro on mines and I believe there were no brackets made for that specific retro that I'm aware of so it was all custom. But since you have a collision shop and the tools to tackle it, why not since you're up for a challenge. I miss my tsx retro. I currently have oem hid conversion on mines with the green tiny. Booooo green tint. Some people like the green tint but I don't. Makes me feel as if the lights not at it's full potential due to the tint. If you have asset of 2gs headlights with some fresh clear lens, hmu! Lol I want some clear lens! I'd trade somebody if anybody is interested.

Quick Reply: Stock headlights ideas needed