GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

JP grill frame question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12 | 09:40 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by sakataj
especially for that price......you might have to do like Justin did below in his quote or pay him to do it to yours. his turned out very well
I decided to send it to get powdercoated so I'll allow them to do the frame as well. Same dudes who did zeb's and vlad's bodywork on their car. They have my wheel faces as we speak.

http://www.exotics-inc.com/powder.html

http://www.exotics-inc.com/gallery-car.html
Old 10-21-12 | 10:10 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

I dont think you can powder coat the frame. Its ABS plastic. I'm not sure if it would take the heat.

Powder coating the grille itself all one color is no problem but the tricky part is if you need to mask it. Powder coating tape is very similar to the old 9mm film and is specially designed to take the heat. It doesnt bend very easily like painters/pinstriping tape. For flat areas its great but you know how the edges of the JP grille are rounded? That's where its gonna have trouble. Anyways I'm gonna put putting my car into storage for winter at the end of the month. I'll send you a pic of the frame without the grille.
Old 10-21-12 | 10:24 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
I dont think you can powder coat the frame. Its ABS plastic. I'm not sure if it would take the heat.

Powder coating the grille itself all one color is no problem but the tricky part is if you need to mask it. Powder coating tape is very similar to the old 9mm film and is specially designed to take the heat. It doesnt bend very easily like painters/pinstriping tape. For flat areas its great but you know how the edges of the JP grille are rounded? That's where its gonna have trouble. Anyways I'm gonna put putting my car into storage for winter at the end of the month. I'll send you a pic of the frame without the grille.
No, no the grill slates will be powdercoat, Exotic does bodywork as well which will cover the frame.

Ok thanks for the pic......
Old 10-21-12 | 11:21 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nar8ta
I decided to send it to get powdercoated so I'll allow them to do the frame as well. Same dudes who did zeb's and vlad's bodywork on their car. They have my wheel faces as we speak.

http://www.exotics-inc.com/powder.html

http://www.exotics-inc.com/gallery-car.html
im gonna text you about this in a second.....
Old 10-22-12 | 11:42 AM
airmax
Pole Position

man im not gonna lie, i skimmed through a lot of it and i think the question you are asking jp grill owners is, was their grill delivered with electrical tape and a terrible job of cutting the stock slats on the grill....

the answer to that is, yes. i bought my grill from a reputable member here. i saw when he received it NIB and it went straight on the car, i bought it 2-3 years later and since then have inspected it and came to the conclusion that JP has the worlds most expensive crappy cheap parts (for the most part). the only thing i know for 100% is good quality is their taillights and wheels. All of their accessories are cheaply made, i dont even know how well their kits fit....
Old 10-22-12 | 10:07 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by airmax
man im not gonna lie, i skimmed through a lot of it and i think the question you are asking jp grill owners is, was their grill delivered with electrical tape and a terrible job of cutting the stock slats on the grill....

the answer to that is, yes. i bought my grill from a reputable member here. i saw when he received it NIB and it went straight on the car, i bought it 2-3 years later and since then have inspected it and came to the conclusion that JP has the worlds most expensive crappy cheap parts (for the most part). the only thing i know for 100% is good quality is their taillights and wheels. All of their accessories are cheaply made, i dont even know how well their kits fit....
I can't comment on their other parts (which I don't have) but after speaking with a few people off line with the JP grill, they all say the grill frame comes like this which is horrible. Again I love this grill but JP definitely could have done better with the frame for this price.......
Old 10-22-12 | 11:55 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Negro I told you about this. Do some homework right lee
Old 10-23-12 | 12:49 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

JP has the worlds most expensive crappy cheap parts (for the most part). the only thing i know for 100% is good quality is their taillights and wheels. All of their accessories are cheaply made, i dont even know how well their kits fit....
That's a little harsh. are you basing this on the grille alone? Because I know for the most part JP parts are actually very good quality. I will admit their neck pads and curtains are pretty cheaply made and they are pretty cheap in terms of price but they are not really known for interior dress-up like Garson. But I can vouch for their kits. They are very good quality and fit perfect every time and are pre-drilled for mounting. They're aero kits, coilovers, exhausts and brakes I can also say are very good quality. They may be a little overpriced, but that also comes down to branding and exclusivity, but I would definitely not call them "crappy cheap parts"
Old 10-23-12 | 02:12 PM
airmax
Pole Position

i was basing most of my assessment on the grill and smaller accessories. I do not have first hand knowledge of the fitment on their kits, my statement about them could lead you to believe they do not fit well but that wasnt my intention. I guess i was generalizing their accessories as cheap crappy parts, which i do believe to be true.

I also dont believe their coilovers to live up to the JP hype. they are taiwan made coilvers branded for JP.
Old 10-23-12 | 02:13 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

im pretty sure they're crappy cheap parts.
Old 10-23-12 | 06:44 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

I also dont believe their coilovers to live up to the JP hype. they are taiwan made coilvers branded for JP.
The Original JP coilovers are still made in Japan. But now for the past 2 or 3 years they've outsourced and came out with a cheaper lineup made in Taiwan, but there's a huge price difference.

JP Japanese coilovers
JP Taiwanese Coilovers
JP Bilstein Coilovers
And then there's the JP Quantum Coilovers if you're truly baller @ over 7k a set
Old 10-24-12 | 12:00 AM
airmax
Pole Position

Guess you learn something new everyday. I haven't looked into their products in a good while. Thanks for the lesson yakuza.
Old 10-24-12 | 09:12 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

The kits DONT fit well lol. It's not a perfect fit. I've seen first hand raw JP kits installed and they need fitment help. The scaras are probably the only thing JP I would rock.
Old 10-24-12 | 09:20 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

wow...after 11 years of OMG VIP freshness, you guys are now discovering its overpriced stuff? Wait til you figure out that the fusa and tsuna aren't rocked by all the Buddhist in Japan like people are defending...you only see them on JP vip cars.
Old 10-24-12 | 01:02 PM
airmax
Pole Position

dont you dare talk about the fusa and tsuna bigT, those are VIP must have parts.

Quick Reply: JP grill frame question