GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Planning to do some mechanical maintenance...need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 08:14 PM
a1yola
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning to do some mechanical maintenance...need some input.

My 99 GS300 has 250k miles and runs great, but I'm going to start using it to commute about 80 miles a day. I'm unsure what the maintenance history is, but I want to make it reliable again. What do you guys suggest replacing?

I know the timing belt should be replaced and I searched on rockauto.com, but should I get the entire kit (including belt, tensioner, idler, and water pump), or just the belt? I was told the ball joints should be replaced as well, so I'll get that done too. I also noticed a power steering fluid leak somewhere, but havent pin-pointed whether its coming from the hose or pump. Once i figure out the culprit, ill getthat replaced as well. What else do you guys think? Also, what are the best places to order from with good prices?

Thanks!

Last edited by a1yola; 10-19-12 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-19-12, 08:41 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get Lexus genuine timing belt. You can get a discount at Sewell with your club Lexus name

Did the previous owner keep maintenance records? If so look at what the previous owner did, if not all the fluids ( tranny, differential, engine, power steering, brakes) if the shocks have not been changed you can change them( you can determine by how it rides and handles)

Last edited by sam12345; 10-19-12 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-20-12, 09:18 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Id suggest using Sewell Lexus for the important parts. And use eBay for the rest. Forget Rock Auto and all those half a** websites. Ebay is the best in quality and pricing as well. I found a timing belt kit all OEM parts for around $300+. Lemme see if I can search for it real quick and post up the link for you. Anyhow good luck my friend! Rush you the best with you repairs and commutes.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-20-12, 09:27 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=62182782859

Old 10-20-12, 09:43 AM
a1yola
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=62182782859

Thank you! That looks like everything I'll need for the timing belt replacement.

What about suspension stuff? I've heard ball joint and control arm #2? Any others? Maybe some bushings ?
Old 10-20-12, 10:51 AM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to check ball joints and control arms for play and if there is any excesive play than change
Old 10-20-12, 01:49 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Check out my thread exactly as written: New upgrades! All links to LBJs, outer tie rods, brakes & rotors, etc. are all there. All the smiley faces are written in : and )s. Not in the smiley icon form. I'll post the link up later anyway just to confirm you get my links. I'm at work right now do I have to wait until break. Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android

Last edited by aneidiaz; 10-20-12 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-20-12, 09:51 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-upgrades.html

Old 10-20-12, 10:07 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

That's my thread above. Read the links closely. They're very helpful. I bought everything off eBay. I bought all LBJs and outer tie rods (MOOG stamped 555 for under $140. Idk about the control arms because I haven't changed that on my car yet.... But lemme know if you find my links and pics helpful my friend. Good luck with your journey!

Old 10-21-12, 09:35 PM
a1yola
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
That's my thread above. Read the links closely. They're very helpful. I bought everything off eBay. I bought all LBJs and outer tie rods (MOOG stamped 555 for under $140. Idk about the control arms because I haven't changed that on my car yet.... But lemme know if you find my links and pics helpful my friend. Good luck with your journey!

This is awesome, thank you! The prices seem to be pretty good so I'll more than likely order from the links you provided. I really appreciate it!
Old 10-22-12, 07:22 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
Get Lexus genuine timing belt. You can get a discount at Sewell with your club Lexus name

Did the previous owner keep maintenance records? If so look at what the previous owner did, if not all the fluids ( tranny, differential, engine, power steering, brakes) if the shocks have not been changed you can change them( you can determine by how it rides and handles)
Um...why get a genuine lexus belt? You can get an aftermarket Gates Racing timing belt that's much stronger and will allow you to extend your timing belt interval to ~120k instead of 90k. You can get the belt for ~$100, then just get the OE tensioner and water pump.

A GS at 250k needs the following stuff...don't just go by 'the big book of car maintenance' that the above poster apparently found on google. Especially with no known maintenance history. This may seem like a lot but gives you a good foundation to start with knowing that EVERYTHING was done at this particular time, allowing you to more accurately choose your intervals.

-Timing belt and tensioner pulley
-Water pump
-Serpentine belt
-Oil/filter change at interval
-Trans fluid and filter
-Diff fluid
-Check ball joints/tie rods/control arms for wear and replace where needed
-4 wheel alignment
-Check shocks/struts for leaking, if so replace
-Check springs for broken coils, replace if necessary
-Front wheel bearings
-Brakes if necessary
-Check motor and trans mounts for movement, replace in pairs where necessary
-AC leak test
-Radiator leak test, coolant drain and fill

And if you really want to know how your GS is doing, get a compression test done.on the engine. This will tell you how your engine's internals are holding up and if/when you'll be running into any problems.

Also, if you can find them, you should get poly steering rack bushings. If you do all the above in one shot, the car will run like brand new, and last another 250k easily.
Old 10-22-12, 07:42 AM
a1yola
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
Um...why get a genuine lexus belt? You can get an aftermarket Gates Racing timing belt that's much stronger and will allow you to extend your timing belt interval to ~120k instead of 90k. You can get the belt for ~$100, then just get the OE tensioner and water pump.

A GS at 250k needs the following stuff...don't just go by 'the big book of car maintenance' that the above poster apparently found on google. Especially with no known maintenance history. This may seem like a lot but gives you a good foundation to start with knowing that EVERYTHING was done at this particular time, allowing you to more accurately choose your intervals.

-Timing belt and tensioner pulley
-Water pump
-Serpentine belt
-Oil/filter change at interval
-Trans fluid and filter
-Diff fluid
-Check ball joints/tie rods/control arms for wear and replace where needed
-4 wheel alignment
-Check shocks/struts for leaking, if so replace
-Check springs for broken coils, replace if necessary
-Front wheel bearings
-Brakes if necessary
-Check motor and trans mounts for movement, replace in pairs where necessary
-AC leak test
-Radiator leak test, coolant drain and fill

And if you really want to know how your GS is doing, get a compression test done.on the engine. This will tell you how your engine's internals are holding up and if/when you'll be running into any problems.

Also, if you can find them, you should get poly steering rack bushings. If you do all the above in one shot, the car will run like brand new, and last another 250k easily.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!!!
Old 10-22-12, 07:45 AM
a1yola
Driver School Candidate

I do notice some heavy vibrating between 60-70 mph but seems to lighten up at higher speeds and not noticeable at lower speeds. Would this be attributed to worn ball joint and/or tie rods?
Old 10-22-12, 08:16 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by a1yola
I do notice some heavy vibrating between 60-70 mph but seems to lighten up at higher speeds and not noticeable at lower speeds. Would this be attributed to worn ball joint and/or tie rods?
classic sign of ball joints. Make sure your tires are balanced as well, but almost always happens with ball joints. Well documented symptom.
Old 10-22-12, 09:38 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Yes order those LBJs. That's very important. Don't wanna end up on the bad side with your dropped :/

Quick Reply: Planning to do some mechanical maintenance...need some input.