GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Turbo kits?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-12, 08:49 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

There's a reason the xs power kits are cheap. Some other brand off the shelf may be higher than it should but headaches do cost a lot. The xs power turbos are generally junk and the bearings will die in pretty short time. The manifolds are pretty thin and made from sub par stainless, so it'll crack, rot, and fall apart over time. It's stuff that is instantly gratifying but heartache down the road and you end up replacing it all later.

Sure, you could do it for $3000. And it will probably run ok for a few months and you'll enjoy it. But there's also a good chance it'll fall apart, toast a motor, and take you from having a decent car to a non functional vehicle that isn't worth much.
Old 10-29-12, 09:03 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Right on - i'd say this is a well deserved treat then. Cant wait to see what u come up with. I dont have the guts to make this move yet lol. I got some play money but i just cant pull the trigger yet.
Old 10-30-12, 06:06 AM
msarahalex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say, save the money till next year february. get u tax return, use some off it with the 3000 u got and get ur self a 2jzgte supra engine.
Old 10-30-12, 02:20 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Smile thank you

Originally Posted by Hardrvin
There's a reason the xs power kits are cheap. Some other brand off the shelf may be higher than it should but headaches do cost a lot. The xs power turbos are generally junk and the bearings will die in pretty short time. The manifolds are pretty thin and made from sub par stainless, so it'll crack, rot, and fall apart over time. It's stuff that is instantly gratifying but heartache down the road and you end up replacing it all later.

Sure, you could do it for $3000. And it will probably run ok for a few months and you'll enjoy it. But there's also a good chance it'll fall apart, toast a motor, and take you from having a decent car to a non functional vehicle that isn't worth much.
I probably should save a little more money up. I guess u get for what u pay for. I want a turbo kit really bad but at the same time I dont want to end up asking myself why did I go the cheap route. thx for the info. I will take that into consideration.
Old 10-30-12, 02:25 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Wink I hear ya

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Right on - i'd say this is a well deserved treat then. Cant wait to see what u come up with. I dont have the guts to make this move yet lol. I got some play money but i just cant pull the trigger yet.
Ive been down that road so many times where i have extra money and dont want to drop it all down right away. In the end I end up spending it on stupid stuff and throw it towards bills to get ahead. But this time its do or die. You only live once and this is one thing in my life I have always wanted to do so Im dropping the hammer, and got the wifes approval on top of that. so its win win here I come lol.
Old 10-30-12, 02:30 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Smile This was in the picture at one time

Originally Posted by msarahalex
i would say, save the money till next year february. get u tax return, use some off it with the 3000 u got and get ur self a 2jzgte supra engine.
I thought of doing a motor swap. Was going to go with the twin turbo. My brother in law is a mechanic and we talked for hours about it. He said not a bad idea but going single turbo now a days is the way to go now and plus I have a really nice solid motor and U never know what u r going to end up with so why take the risk when I have a perfectly good motor. Plus I bought this car off my brother in law three yrs ago. It was my sisters car. So I know that the mechanics have been good on it the whole time. But thx for the idea.
Old 10-30-12, 06:27 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HeavycGS
I thought of doing a motor swap. Was going to go with the twin turbo. My brother in law is a mechanic and we talked for hours about it. He said not a bad idea but going single turbo now a days is the way to go now and plus I have a really nice solid motor and U never know what u r going to end up with so why take the risk when I have a perfectly good motor. Plus I bought this car off my brother in law three yrs ago. It was my sisters car. So I know that the mechanics have been good on it the whole time. But thx for the idea.
There's no need to rush anything now. You've waited this long already. Make sure you have a proper plan in place. $3k will get you a majority of the parts you need but remember you still have to fab up intercooler piping and a complete exhaust system. Also if you're going to run more than 9psi you willnwill need to replace your head gasket and also be prepared to run bigger injectors and fab up a fuel return system. Most importantly an engine management system and someone reliable to tune it. You should have $1k on the side for the "unexpected" because something ALWAYS come up that you didn't expect.

Your bro-in-law is right about the gte swap. You're gonna spend the same amount of $$$ to do the swap and make 200hp less with a stock gte. Good luck with your build.
Old 10-30-12, 07:02 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well there's always Jeff Tsai's turbo kits that you can't go wrong with... Here's his website..

http://PowerDynamix.com/
Old 10-30-12, 07:33 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
Well there's always Jeff Tsai's turbo kits that you can't go wrong with... Here's his website..

I wouldn't really recomend Jeff unless you have some deep pockets. If I remember correctly Aadaamm was over $12k into his turbo build using Jeff and as far as I know it's not complete yet.
Old 10-31-12, 11:17 AM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thx

Originally Posted by puff
I wouldn't really recomend Jeff unless you have some deep pockets. If I remember correctly Aadaamm was over $12k into his turbo build using Jeff and as far as I know it's not complete yet.
I had no idea that jeff was selling turbo kits i watch his youtube vids. I love them. I checked out the power dynamics website. This is the way i want to go now. There is a few different kits but there is one for 4250 a little more than i wanted to spend but its everything i want in a package and i know that jeff is legit as far as i know from all of his freinds and there projects to. Plus i know he has good experience with the gs300. This was truly alot of help thx. I emailed about the kit so we will see what happens. I let him know that u guys on clublexus helped me out and recommended the power dynamics site also. Thx again.

Last edited by HeavycGS; 10-31-12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-31-12, 11:22 AM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Smile Sweet

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD

Thx for the website. I had no idea that he had turbo kits. Power dynamics is the way im probably going to go now. I know he has alot of experience with the gs300. This is alot of help. He has exactly what im looking for. I sent out a email about the kit so we will see how it goes. I also let him know u guys on clublexus help me to his website.
Old 10-31-12, 11:32 AM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Hardrvin

You r right. If i go cheap in the long run i will just keep replacing parts and have more headaches fhan i want and maybe even end up not loving cars anymore. I rather spend the money now and enjoy it for many yrs to come. So this is what im going to do. Save more money and buy a nice kit. I have a nice car. Why throw junk in it. Good idea thx
Old 10-31-12, 11:37 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by puff
In just a quick glance at his packages, you really shouldn't start with anything less than the stage 2 kit. The lower kits are REALLY basic and it's really easy for the boost bug to let you turn it up to an unsafe level. Yes, the stage 2 kit is over $5k but it has literally everything you need for a 100+% rwhp gain. Keep in mind, stock GS300's only make 170rwhp. To get to 400rwhp reliably isn't easy, and there's other stuff in the driveline you'd need to do as well.

I don't know who that member is or what his build details are, but you have to have either some serious issues or unrealistic goals to end up spending $12k on a $5k turbo kit.
Old 10-31-12, 05:08 PM
Jonb42
Driver

Check out driftmotion. They have some inexpensive turbo kits that are great.
Old 10-31-12, 08:20 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by Jonb42
Check out driftmotion. They have some inexpensive turbo kits that are great.
a few people have told me about this site. r these kits reallt legit. all the parts r not actually real but duplicates. but they say they r good. prices r pretty cheap and just makes me wonder. 1500 i think it was for a kit. do u know anyone with one of these kits?

Quick Reply: Turbo kits?