GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Turbo kits?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-12, 12:17 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo kits?

Looking to turbo my gs300. Confused on who to buy from. Dont want to spend more than 3000 dollars. I am also a memeber od clubna-t. I keep hearing bad things about the xspower kits. Was going to buy one and have talked to mark threw email. Also heard supra store is terrible never buy from them unless u want nothing but headaches and complaints and poor customer service. So do i buy a cheap turbo kit and replace the wastegate, bov, and turbo or does anyone know of a dependable kit with nice power for 3000. Any help would be appreciated thx.
Old 10-29-12, 12:21 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Gonna need a bigger budget than $3k to get the parts, get it up and running, exhaust, and tuned.
Old 10-29-12, 12:33 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

I forgot to mention my brother in law is a certified mechanic so he going to do the work so that should save me some money. I have a aftermarket exhaust on my car to. Working on buying a aem 1910. So the 3000 grand would be for parts and than later when i get more cash im going to have it tuned. So do u think i will need more than 3000 grand still ? Thx for the quick feed back by the way.
Old 10-29-12, 12:36 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

i dont think it'd be that much if you did all the labor yourself and just used stock trans with a snail.
Old 10-29-12, 12:51 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HeavycGS
I forgot to mention my brother in law is a certified mechanic so he going to do the work so that should save me some money. I have a aftermarket exhaust on my car to. Working on buying a aem 1910. So the 3000 grand would be for parts and than later when i get more cash im going to have it tuned. So do u think i will need more than 3000 grand still ? Thx for the quick feed back by the way.
3000 grand is more than enough to boost the car and make 1K+ whp.

all jokes aside most likely youll need around $5k to be on the somewhat safe side. This accounts for anything that can go wrong.

Why not look into a used setup that has been proven to work? Might be more cost effecitve
Old 10-29-12, 01:17 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Default Good thinking

Originally Posted by vwynn
3000 grand is more than enough to boost the car and make 1K+ whp.

all jokes aside most likely youll need around $5k to be on the somewhat safe side. This accounts for anything that can go wrong.

Why not look into a used setup that has been proven to work? Might be more cost effecitve
I have thought of this but am afraid of getting robbed. Scared of a bad turbo etc. plus i dont know where to look. Do u know any websites? Found one on ebay with a garrett turbo cant remember model num but was good for 700 whp. Said all in picture included than realized no fmic when in listing said there was hmmm? Crazy thing is had my lexus 3 yrs and been shopping for turbo kit ever since. Still in wonder on what to buy lol.
Old 10-29-12, 01:24 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
i dont think it'd be that much if you did all the labor yourself and just used stock trans with a snail.
Thx for the advice. I think it is possible if i know what to buy. Budget is the problem. I have a 19 month little girl love her to death but day care dont love my wallet or should i say it does every payday lol. I heard u can buy a cheap turbo kit and than use the piping and fmic and ditch the rest. Modifications will apply with cheap kit but with my brother in law for my mechanic wont be a problem just have to owe him one big time thats all lol.
Old 10-29-12, 01:26 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

You can replicate the SRT kit for cheaper than they sell it. Just go to their site and look at the parts they use then source them else where. Drift Motion and eBay are good places to start but yeah you're gonna need $5k - $7k if you're not doing the labor yourself.
Old 10-29-12, 01:48 PM
tjmhillz
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a few friends with the XS power kits and they havent had any problems with them. The only thing i would recommend is redo some of the welds on the manifold. Other than that you should be good. How much power are you trying to make also. Like Puff said look over SRT or Boostlogic turbo kits and just peice together your own kit. Even if you do get the XS kit your still going to need injectors, gauges, and misc things.
Old 10-29-12, 02:16 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Smile nice

Originally Posted by puff
You can replicate the SRT kit for cheaper than they sell it. Just go to their site and look at the parts they use then source them else where. Drift Motion and eBay are good places to start but yeah you're gonna need $5k - $7k if you're not doing the labor yourself.
I was wondering about that. I would love the srt kit but that is well over priced. But that is a great idea to replicate the kit. Maybe i should try this. Laor is no problem for me have a mechanic already and I have some knowledge on cars. I Just am new to this. This is my first car that I am going to turbo and the first car that ever had a turbo in it. Im pretty pumped up bout the whole thing. The power the sound and the looks. thx for the great advice
Old 10-29-12, 02:27 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Smile cool

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
I have a few friends with the XS power kits and they havent had any problems with them. The only thing i would recommend is redo some of the welds on the manifold. Other than that you should be good. How much power are you trying to make also. Like Puff said look over SRT or Boostlogic turbo kits and just peice together your own kit. Even if you do get the XS kit your still going to need injectors, gauges, and misc things.
Well its good to know that there r people out there with xspower kit that works good.I was pretty bummed out when I heard all these bad things considering this is the kit i was set on for like 8 months. So how r there turbos holding up? I heard that they leak oil after a awhile. My goal is to get 400 to 600whp. But for my budget for now i wil be happy with anywhere around 300 to 350whp. Right now I have a automatic and I heard it can handle no more than 400 hp. Eventually I would like to swap out and put a 5 speed in. 6 would be nice but way to much money for my budget. Well thx for the info most helpful to me indeed.
Old 10-29-12, 02:32 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you should focus on your daughter than cars
Old 10-29-12, 03:15 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jz
^^^^^^ This... the 3k will be your saving grace when you need it most and expect it least. I had a friend in a similar situation and decided to turbo a stock nsx and then came the hardships. He had to sell it and had to buy a scraper. I can't tell you how often he complains about his purchase And the money he got from selling is now going to things it should have minus $10k loss overall

but who knows... u might have a solid savings, 401k playing the market accordingly, backup savings, and a college fund already established and financially strong. <<<<----- any or all is better than none
Old 10-29-12, 07:40 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up u r right

Originally Posted by sc300jz
i have concentrated on my daughter. i have held off on this project for three yrs for my little one but now i got stocks and 401k and savings for my girl. so now im going to treat myself with the over time i put in to get back to my project. But u r right family always comes first
Old 10-29-12, 07:46 PM
HeavycGS
Driver School Candidate

Smile whats up

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
^^^^^^ This... the 3k will be your saving grace when you need it most and expect it least. I had a friend in a similar situation and decided to turbo a stock nsx and then came the hardships. He had to sell it and had to buy a scraper. I can't tell you how often he complains about his purchase And the money he got from selling is now going to things it should have minus $10k loss overall

but who knows... u might have a solid savings, 401k playing the market accordingly, backup savings, and a college fund already established and financially strong. <<<<----- any or all is better than none
all of my money has been carefully invested. yep have 401k and stocks etc. this is money that ive worked hard for for three yrs. so im good but thx for the advice it was considered before ibdecided to do this . nice ride by the way

Quick Reply: Turbo kits?