GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

is the srt intake worth it for the 01 gs430?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 03:06 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the srt intake worth it for the 01 gs430?

I keep seeing it with the race ECU, but can't find any sounds clips or anyone talking about the performance they got from it. Am I looking in the wrong spots?
Old 11-12-12, 05:01 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

I considered getting one but for the price $600 + shipping + taxes, I wouldn't say it's worth it. Most short ram intakes loses low end torque. I don't think I've seen any dyno sheets of intakes for 400/430 gaining power before 3500 or so rpm.

remember low end torque is very important getting your car moving, and the v8 spends most of its time below 2k rpm so lets say a 10whp gain at the top end gain in a 300hp car is pretty much negligible during daily driving.

What I plan to do instead is getting a apexi neo and getting it tuned, that would be better than any preset race ecu since it also allows you to compensate for any other mods besides the intake, like headers, cat, down pipe, exhaust.

I'm running a blitz filter with oem box btw. and I also have a new obx short ram pipe that I never bothered to install simply due to the fact that I don't want to suck in hot air + loose my low end.
Old 11-12-12, 07:03 PM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

love it.

the intake is just bonus. what i was after was the piggyback ecu!
Old 11-12-12, 11:24 PM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

Just installed mine 2 weeks ago. Loving it!! Thi is what i wrote after the install..

It was a beautiful night b/f the big hurricane hits NY with beers on deck but no ganja or strippers. LOL. The install was quick but could have been quicker if we had the proper tool for a pain in the neck screw but Excluesive & I made it work. Thank god!! I did miss out on 4 booty calls but it was definitely worth it. i'm very shock that i'm even saying that but trust me when i tell you it was worth it 3 times. Last night when i left i was crusing on the grand central heading home & i had to press on the pedal. All i can say is WOW WOW WOW my GS move!!!!! The take off from the light was crazy the top end on the hwy was crazy and most imporatnt the sound of the SRT INTAKE was CRAZY!!!! I absolutely felt power. This is how a Lexus GS430 should feel. I stop by my cousin house who has a GS 300 and he took my car for a spin and when he came back he jump out & was amazed how the GS move. Guess what now he wants the SRT/ECU for his car. Sorry cuzzo!!

I already have a L-tuned axle back(which i'm going to sale soon) on the GS & was thinking of buying some headers b/f I brought the SRT/ECU but no need for that anymore. I'M GOODDDD!!! I'm not a sales rep for SRT but whoever can find a good deal on this intake needs to buy one.

Thanks to Quick VR-4(Seller) & Excluesive(Installer) for everything.
Old 11-13-12, 01:59 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Originally Posted by Hollywoood
Just installed mine 2 weeks ago. Loving it!! Thi is what i wrote after the install..

It was a beautiful night b/f the big hurricane hits NY with beers on deck but no ganja or strippers. LOL. The install was quick but could have been quicker if we had the proper tool for a pain in the neck screw but Excluesive & I made it work. Thank god!! I did miss out on 4 booty calls but it was definitely worth it. i'm very shock that i'm even saying that but trust me when i tell you it was worth it 3 times. Last night when i left i was crusing on the grand central heading home & i had to press on the pedal. All i can say is WOW WOW WOW my GS move!!!!! The take off from the light was crazy the top end on the hwy was crazy and most imporatnt the sound of the SRT INTAKE was CRAZY!!!! I absolutely felt power. This is how a Lexus GS430 should feel. I stop by my cousin house who has a GS 300 and he took my car for a spin and when he came back he jump out & was amazed how the GS move. Guess what now he wants the SRT/ECU for his car. Sorry cuzzo!!

I already have a L-tuned axle back(which i'm going to sale soon) on the GS & was thinking of buying some headers b/f I brought the SRT/ECU but no need for that anymore. I'M GOODDDD!!! I'm not a sales rep for SRT but whoever can find a good deal on this intake needs to buy one.

Thanks to Quick VR-4(Seller) & Excluesive(Installer) for everything.
thanks for the info, do u have any sound clips of it? I see lots of people talk about the sound, but can't find any sound clips of one for a gs430
Old 11-13-12, 02:58 PM
kdick91
Driver

Originally Posted by AVSRacing
I considered getting one but for the price $600 + shipping + taxes, I wouldn't say it's worth it. Most short ram intakes loses low end torque. I don't think I've seen any dyno sheets of intakes for 400/430 gaining power before 3500 or so rpm.

There it is, power gain across the board. Now, I really really hate wehen people have these terrible assumptions. An intake does not mean loss of low end. When the air hits the intake manifold, it is disrupted and broken up. The only thing an intake does is allows air to enter the manifold easier. Engines are air pumps. Air in + air out = power. Generally
Old 11-13-12, 03:46 PM
kdick91
Driver

Originally Posted by sho89mtx
sounds clips
Sorry to double post, I can make you one for the GS400 if you'd like.
Old 11-13-12, 05:46 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

I guess I based most of my opinion on k&n intake dyno

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-9011_dyno.pdf

but here is another thread talking about 430 and srt. In the end even with hotter temperatures, headers made a much bigger hp gain than the srt intake. Good thing I ordered a set of headers =)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-race-ecu.html
Old 11-13-12, 09:50 PM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sho89mtx
thanks for the info, do u have any sound clips of it? I see lots of people talk about the sound, but can't find any sound clips of one for a gs430
Before i brought my SRT INTAKE/ECU I was looking for sound clips also but couldn't find any on CL. When i get a chance i'll post up some sound clips for everybody..
Old 11-14-12, 07:20 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AVSRacing
Temperatures, headers made a much bigger hp gain than the srt intake. Good thing I ordered a set of headers
genuine headers do, didn't you order those OBX headers?