GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

side mirrors stolen

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 05:45 PM
stonorober
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there are two diff sizes but i forget what year they change
Old 12-04-12, 06:31 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Ah that sucks man. There's actually the plastic backing piece on the glass, and the worst part is that Toyota does not sell that part separately. You have to buy the whole freaking mirror! Don't ask me know I know lol.
Old 12-04-12, 07:22 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chicov8
this kind of things only happen in ny ( i used to live in ny and had so many parts stolen or damaged)
I swear all these stolen mirror threads only happen in NY.
Old 12-04-12, 07:48 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What year is your car? I actually have the oem glass from a 2003, drivers side i believe. If interested, pm me and me can work out price. I understand what you are saying about not wanting to put the correct dimming glass back in there, but a thief will steal it anyway. Its not as if he is checking your glass before he steals it, he will steal it and figure it out later. I have passenger side as well, but its a complete perfect mirror so i will not part just the glass.

Whether you purchase the glass from me or not, velcro and aftermarket glass is not a good idea. Especially since the mirror is vertical, gravity will take over and that velcro will fall off in a couple of weeks, especially since the doors will be opening and closing every day almost... Just a thought.
Old 12-04-12, 08:17 PM
genjix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chin
What year is your car? I actually have the oem glass from a 2003, drivers side i believe. If interested, pm me and me can work out price. I understand what you are saying about not wanting to put the correct dimming glass back in there, but a thief will steal it anyway. Its not as if he is checking your glass before he steals it, he will steal it and figure it out later. I have passenger side as well, but its a complete perfect mirror so i will not part just the glass.

Whether you purchase the glass from me or not, velcro and aftermarket glass is not a good idea. Especially since the mirror is vertical, gravity will take over and that velcro will fall off in a couple of weeks, especially since the doors will be opening and closing every day almost... Just a thought.
ahhh darn, its a 2000 (I think it may be a different size from the 2003 you have). If I saw your reply earlier, I would of probably at least talked to you about price, but I already placed an order on ebay. You're probably right about the velcro not being so secure, I was really banking on at least the sticky part being reliable and I would going to add some crazy glue to the velcro side so none of the glue sticks to the car, just keeps the velcro together.

I was also hoping that if the thief comes back, he wont see the black frame border around the mirror (like oem) and just see bare glass and know the difference. but each side is $17, so i guess its a reasonable price to test this.
Old 12-04-12, 09:33 PM
veron1987
Pole Position

Originally Posted by puff
I swear all these stolen mirror threads only happen in NY.
lmao..

OP.. while having the velcro glass you can keep an eye out in the classifieds to see if anyone's selling you might get a good deal on an oem mirror.

What part of NY did this happen??
Old 12-05-12, 12:55 AM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the oem Lexus and oem Toyota blue tint wide view. Shoot me an offer
Old 12-05-12, 04:15 AM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK cool. If you are going the crazy glue route, which means once you attach the glass, it will pretty much be permanent, I highly recommend you use polyurethane to attach the glass to the backing plate. You can get it at home depot --->>>

http://www.kofflersales.com/product....FQ2znQodOWQARw

Once this cures though, it will never come off... at least not in one piece... so make sure your mirror is lined up properly and taped in place before you commit.

Those cheap pieces of glass are just like cheap windshields, the optics are not that great, so make sure you temporarily attach the glass to the mirror and see if you can live with it before you permanently install it.
Old 12-05-12, 06:57 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by genjix
Hi all,

first timer here. this morning i found my side mirrors stolen (just the glass). I was going to buy a replacement on amazon but I want to make sure i buy the right thing. I noticed theres a wire dangling, what would this plug into? I imagine its for heat maybe to melt snow or something?
If i buy this , will I need anything else?
http://www.amazon.com/1998-2005-GS30...s=gs300+mirror

thanks all, I not good with cars so thanks for any tips
depends where in ny you park lol... if you in the bad parts of brooklyn or bronx gl!
Old 12-05-12, 07:38 AM
genjix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by veron1987
lmao..

OP.. while having the velcro glass you can keep an eye out in the classifieds to see if anyone's selling you might get a good deal on an oem mirror.

What part of NY did this happen??
Queens.

Chin, I wouldnt be crazy gluing the actual mirror on to the car plate, but if this mirror comes with velcro stickies, I would stick the velcro on to the plate, then only crazyy glue the velcro side so that nothing is permenant. Just so this helps the velcro stick longer.

Last edited by genjix; 12-05-12 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-05-12, 08:30 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I say eff the oem glass and get the blue tint mirrors and not worry about auto dim. Works good with high beamers too!