GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ML Subwoofer Repair/Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 10:09 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I have a blown ML rear sub as well. I have not taken it out to inspect, but it pops from time to time. I was planning on buying a new speaker from Lexus, but maybe Ill take a look at the repair kit listed above. So if I understand correctly, the speaker repair kit comes with the foam only, and you have to pay another $7.00 for the glue/sealer?
Old 01-16-13, 10:32 PM
gumbo48
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing that bigguppy and cvien did. Sounds good now, and it was easy to repair.
Old 01-17-13, 02:14 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
I think I have a blown ML rear sub as well. I have not taken it out to inspect, but it pops from time to time. I was planning on buying a new speaker from Lexus, but maybe Ill take a look at the repair kit listed above. So if I understand correctly, the speaker repair kit comes with the foam only, and you have to pay another $7.00 for the glue/sealer?
go into the trunk. using a flashlight and inspecting the rubber foam for damage. the kit include the glue. the $7 "foam guard" is a option. i did not buy the foam guard and my woofer is working just fine.

just a few of my comments over the instructions for those who want to do this.

-the ml woofer have a plastic ring that goes over the rubber. pop that off than underneath is the old rubber foam.

-carefully remove/rip the old foam from the paper cone, trying not to damage the paper cone itself. than clean off the old stuff with a razor and some alcohol.

-than apply the glue provided. slap on the new rubber. than apply more glue. put back the plastic ring. apply more glue if you still have some.

-press the cone to get some flex but not to hard. than flip the woofer face down on a flat surface and place some weight on top of the magnet side. (i used a 10lb plate).

-i came back 20 mins later to check and gave it another push against the cone. than left it over night face down with the weight on the magnet. re-install everything. too easy.

Last edited by bigguppy; 01-17-13 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-17-13, 09:16 AM
blueman26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
For what it's worth - an aftermarket sub fits under the OEM deck lid speaker cover. You can't tell by looking that I have a 10" Kicker under there. The only indication that anything is aftermarket is the tiny amp in the far right corner of the trunk. I could have easily hidden that, too.

I'm only posting this so that future readers of this thread can make their decision on which way to go with all of the information available.
Ok, good for others to know. Sounds like an aftermarket sub would mount from below the deck lid. Of course that means you have a giant sub magnet taking up space in the trunk, which I’m sure isn't an issue for many, but definitely something to consider.

I live in one of the many Kansas City burbs so I ran a simple google search for "speaker repair kansas city". I’m not sure what the rules are for listing company names, but hopefully that will get you headed in the right direction to finding a local option.

The quality of work has me seriously considering creating a photobucket account so i could post pics. Other than the color of the speaker cap probably none of us would be able to tell it had ever been taken apart. The compliance is OE ML. The guy said there are about 2 companies in the world that sell the part, but I’m not sure what other similar non-OE parts might be out there with similar performance.

Hope this helps answer some questions. Thanks for all of the replies, seems like this is an issue for a lot of ML owners so it’s good to know what options are out there.
Old 01-17-13, 09:27 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by blueman26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2

For what it's worth - an aftermarket sub fits under the OEM deck lid speaker cover. You can't tell by looking that I have a 10" Kicker under there. The only indication that anything is aftermarket is the tiny amp in the far right corner of the trunk. I could have easily hidden that, too.

I'm only posting this so that future readers of this thread can make their decision on which way to go with all of the information available.

Ok, good for others to know. Sounds like an aftermarket sub would mount from below the deck lid. Of course that means you have a giant sub magnet taking up space in the trunk, which I’m sure isn't an issue for many, but definitely something to consider.

I live in one of the many Kansas City burbs so I ran a simple google search for "speaker repair kansas city". I’m not sure what the rules are for listing company names, but hopefully that will get you headed in the right direction to finding a local option.

The quality of work has me seriously considering creating a photobucket account so i could post pics. Other than the color of the speaker cap probably none of us would be able to tell it had ever been taken apart. The compliance is OE ML. The guy said there are about 2 companies in the world that sell the part, but I’m not sure what other similar non-OE parts might be out there with similar performance.

Hope this helps answer some questions. Thanks for all of the replies, seems like this is an issue for a lot of ML owners so it’s good to know what options are out there.
Yes. This issue is very common with all ML sound system owners. I guess the engineers over at Lexus didn't dedicate as much time to the sound system as they should've. Hey, I'd rather have a bad subwoofer then a trashy engine....... Lol. Thanks for making this thread I was seriously gonna buy a new speaker from SewellParts. You just saved me a ton of cash.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 08-04-14, 05:08 PM
rfdong
Driver School Candidate

Default removing the subwoofer

How do you remove the back deck to access the sub? I wanted to know how it's attached/clipped before trying so as not to damage. I'm assuming it's removed from the top? thanks, I think I'm gonna try the repair. sorry if this is very basic. first foray into trying to remove...thanks

Ooops, I did finally find the sticky.. thanks

Last edited by rfdong; 08-04-14 at 05:23 PM. Reason: found the answer...
Old 08-05-14, 08:40 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rfdong
How do you remove the back deck to access the sub? I wanted to know how it's attached/clipped before trying so as not to damage. I'm assuming it's removed from the top? thanks, I think I'm gonna try the repair. sorry if this is very basic. first foray into trying to remove...thanks

Ooops, I did finally find the sticky.. thanks
--- Gotta take the back seat out first bro. Then the bolts holding the seats to the little metal hinges. After you remove all seats look around. Remove suede ceiling corners. It pops right out. Do it very slow and carefully. There's 1 layer of black plastic lining you will have to carefully detach before getting to speaker. I think I'm missing some things but I replaced mine a few weeks back. It was pretty straight forward. Just don't get frustrated. Take your time bro!