GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I neeeeeed heeelpp!! (alternator and battery replaced, car still dies)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-12, 01:14 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I neeeeeed heeelpp!! (alternator and battery replaced, car still dies)

I just replaced the alternator and the battery on my GS4 and that seemed to solve the problem for a few days until last night it died on me again ( lights dimming and then car shuts off). It wont turn back on unless I leave it off for a few minute and then it will turn over and drive a few miles until it dies again. My gauge cluster is completely dead. What could it be?!?!?!
Old 12-27-12, 02:21 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this might sound obvious, but have you checked if you left anything on by accident like dome light or anything you can think of that may be running in the background?
Old 12-27-12, 03:03 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
I know this might sound obvious, but have you checked if you left anything on by accident like dome light or anything you can think of that may be running in the background?
Nothing was left on and even if it was the car started up and drove perfectly for about 10-15 miles before it started acting up. Could it be a short or a fuse?
Old 12-27-12, 08:56 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

Can anybody shed some light on what it could be. This is my daily and it's just sitting there. Is it possible that a short can cause this?
Old 12-27-12, 09:11 PM
1sikgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though it's new, it could be a bad alternator. I would recommend having it checked out. Take it to a local parts store and have them bench test it
Old 12-27-12, 11:48 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1sikgs
Even though it's new, it could be a bad alternator. I would recommend having it checked out. Take it to a local parts store and have them bench test it
Could it go bad in a week? I got it last week and it came with a lifetime warranty so I'll have it tested out. Thanks.
Old 12-28-12, 04:57 AM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Majority of alternators are rebuilt, so they're bad to begin with.
Old 12-28-12, 05:02 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 818GS
Could it go bad in a week? I got it last week and it came with a lifetime warranty so I'll have it tested out. Thanks.
Yup... had to change out my alternator three times in a month on my 300zx before i got a good one.
Old 12-28-12, 07:31 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Check your battery cables and other connections. Especially if you did not do the work yourself.
Old 12-28-12, 07:44 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check the battery terminals and then the fuses!
Old 12-28-12, 08:17 AM
BRAD123
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I would start with a meter on the alternator to make sure it is pumping out voltage...
Old 12-28-12, 10:25 AM
818GS
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone! Ill have the alternator checked a get back to you. I did replaced the alternator and battery myself so I know all the connections are good. Also what are the specific fuses that I should check for?
Old 12-28-12, 03:27 PM
techguy167
Driver School Candidate

I'm having a similar problem with my GS 300. The car randomly fails to start in the morning. Sometimes I hear clicking sounds and randomly while driving, it dies off all of a sudden and after a few minutes, I crank the engine and everything fires up. Had the battery/alternator/starter test done from my local AutoZone but everything passed. I even had a mechanic take a look but he didn't find anything because at that time the car would start perfectly. What could it be then ? Today it's been running fine no probs.
Old 12-28-12, 04:19 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Bad alternators (or other reman accessories) from a parts store is unfortunately kinda common, I have a bad 2j alternator here that came off a friends car, he bought it from autozone and the car would not charge properly, sometimes it would work sometimes it would not. I put the 13 y/o alternator on his car that came off my stock GE and it's been fine ever since.

Your asking about bad fuses, but if the car works fine sometimes and not others then works again it's not a fuse. You've got something not working properly.. I does kinda sound like a bad alternator, or a battery with a bad cell. The parts store load testers for the batt/alt aren't always answers set in stone. I've had batteries with bad cells that would take a full charge and the tester passed them, but they would randomly not start a car at all, but then 20min later crank with full juice. Swapped in a new battery and problem disappeared.

Your last statement says your cluster is completely dead. Do you mean even when the car will run and drive ok, or when it won't start? The multiplex systems in these cars act very wacky with low/improper voltage regulation.
Old 12-28-12, 05:43 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Bad alternators (or other reman accessories) from a parts store is unfortunately kinda common, I have a bad 2j alternator here that came off a friends car, he bought it from autozone and the car would not charge properly, sometimes it would work sometimes it would not. I put the 13 y/o alternator on his car that came off my stock GE and it's been fine ever since.

Your asking about bad fuses, but if the car works fine sometimes and not others then works again it's not a fuse. You've got something not working properly.. I does kinda sound like a bad alternator, or a battery with a bad cell. The parts store load testers for the batt/alt aren't always answers set in stone. I've had batteries with bad cells that would take a full charge and the tester passed them, but they would randomly not start a car at all, but then 20min later crank with full juice. Swapped in a new battery and problem disappeared.

Your last statement says your cluster is completely dead. Do you mean even when the car will run and drive ok, or when it won't start? The multiplex systems in these cars act very wacky with low/improper voltage regulation.
So ill try and replace the battery and alternator again. To answer your question: my cluster is always dead wether the car is on or running. It's always dead

Quick Reply: I neeeeeed heeelpp!! (alternator and battery replaced, car still dies)