GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98 Lexus GS4 cranking on its own

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 10:26 PM
credle89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTE4Life
I would agree that it seems like a starter solenoid problem. If you are comfortable with a multi meter i would start to trace the wires from the ignition switch to the starter and see where there is positive voltage remaining where it shoulden't be. The solenoid could be "stuck closed" but still fully functioning if the ignition switch is leaking voltage to the solenoid...if that makes sence.

Basically just start with the ignition wires with the car off (preferrably after it has cranked on it's own so you know the problem is present) ans then go the the inputs and outputs of the solenoid, and starter relay and eventually go the the starter wires. eventually you will find which wire is the culpret and what device needs to be replaced and fixed.

I hope some of this helped, good luck and keep us posted on what you find
I order the ignition switch just to be on the safe side. I have to replace the starter again, I will keep you guys updated
Old 01-01-13, 02:16 PM
jeepandlex
Driver

Originally Posted by credle89
Look don't come up here with childish stuff I don't time for that if u can help then help if not don't comment ...
RElax I understand ur fustration. I been flamed on here too mang! LOL. I had to same problem too but it ended up being a bad starter...... but you gotta admit, that picture is funny....
Old 01-01-13, 06:03 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by credle89
Its a remanufactured starter from advance auto
That one went bad too.
Old 01-01-13, 07:38 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your starter relay, maybe it's sticking n sending power to the starter assembly.
Old 01-01-13, 11:39 PM
credle89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jeepandlex
RElax I understand ur fustration. I been flamed on here too mang! LOL. I had to same problem too but it ended up being a bad starter...... but you gotta admit, that picture is funny....
Lol yeah the picture was funny. I have a new starter coming tomorrow, I just hope this dont happen again.
Old 01-01-13, 11:43 PM
credle89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by clos430
Check your starter relay, maybe it's sticking n sending power to the starter assembly.
I check that it looks good, I didnt see burn mark showing its bad
Old 01-01-13, 11:48 PM
credle89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
That one went bad too.
That one went bad after the car tired cranking itself the 3rd time.. I have a new start coming in tomorrow
Old 11-16-13, 05:38 PM
credle89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GTE4Life
I would agree that it seems like a starter solenoid problem. If you are comfortable with a multi meter i would start to trace the wires from the ignition switch to the starter and see where there is positive voltage remaining where it shoulden't be. The solenoid could be "stuck closed" but still fully functioning if the ignition switch is leaking voltage to the solenoid...if that makes sence.

Basically just start with the ignition wires with the car off (preferrably after it has cranked on it's own so you know the problem is present) ans then go the the inputs and outputs of the solenoid, and starter relay and eventually go the the starter wires. eventually you will find which wire is the culpret and what device needs to be replaced and fixed.

I hope some of this helped, good luck and keep us posted on what you find
Problem started all over again with the new starter I had put in since the last time
Old 11-16-13, 08:31 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats freaky.. Id be scared that it might put itself in drive...
Old 11-16-13, 09:45 PM
credle89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsean400
Thats freaky.. Id be scared that it might put itself in drive...
lol if its does that, then I have a Christine on my hands like the movie
Old 11-18-13, 07:03 AM
driver1988
Driver

this happened to my GS4 as well. Weird thing was, it only happened for a day. It eventually drained my entire battery and i had to jump start the car later. It never came back though... the starter solenoid is probably on the fence of sticking... again.
Old 11-28-13, 08:03 AM
ChavosGS4
Driver School Candidate

I haved a 99 gs with the same problem i changed the starter and did it again a month later so i checked the the starter relay and it was no good so i changed that and the problem stopped.

Good Luck, and let me know if that worked for you as well.
Old 11-28-13, 01:15 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope I'm understanding this correctly... but I'd check the wires from ignition to starter (and don't forget the theft deterrent module) and check the positive battery terminal isn't touching the hood or something (not sure how that would START the car but who knows... ). Also, I THINK the starter relay ground is coming from the theft deterrent ECU and/or ignition too,
Old 12-02-13, 05:31 PM
credle89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ChavosGS4
I haved a 99 gs with the same problem i changed the starter and did it again a month later so i checked the the starter relay and it was no good so i changed that and the problem stopped.

Good Luck, and let me know if that worked for you as well.
I change the starter relay so far it's been good thanks a lot
Old 12-02-13, 05:38 PM
credle89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coco-bun;
I hope I'm unstanding this correctly... but I'd check the because from ignition to starter (and don't forget the theft deterrent module) and check the positive battery terminal isn't touching the hood or something (not sure how that would START the car but who knows... ). Also, I THINK the starter relay ground is coming from the theft deterrent ECU and/or ignition too,
If this problem happens again hopefully not. i will check what you told me but i did change the postive terminal because it was crack and change the starter relay so for so good

Quick Reply: 98 Lexus GS4 cranking on its own