GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone ever get rubing or creaking noise on the passenger side dash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-02, 09:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well i am sure it's the dash vibrating, coz' if i push my hand down on the driver side dash there is nothing, no more rattle. either it's the a pillar or some clips under the dash i would say. i am thinking about using some foam type stuff and stuck them between the windshield and the dash... would that help? i know taking apart the dash will be most effective, but i don't have the time for that now..
Old 12-11-02, 10:14 PM
duster
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Try this

Try pushing gently just on the a pillar cover to see if you hear the noise. Push on the lower part that goes into the dash.

If you take off the a pillar cover you can see that the hard white plastic tab of the a pillar cover plugs into a hard plastic slot. This is where the noise was coming from on my '98. I don't have air bags....not sure how to deal with that.

I agree about the dealer....probably worth giving them a chance or two to find the problem. My problem was finally figured out by a "remote" lexus guy who came by my office to replace the radio (display messed up). This was after the dealer tried to fix the problem several times with foam inserts and a new instument cluster cover. Man....rattles can be tough, but it feels great when you get them figured out.

FYI, this same "remote" lexus guy told me that he sees rattles also coming from the air diverter that sits in the front of the dash.
Old 12-11-02, 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Try this

Originally posted by duster
Try pushing gently just on the a pillar cover to see if you hear the noise. Push on the lower part that goes into the dash.

If you take off the a pillar cover you can see that the hard white plastic tab of the a pillar cover plugs into a hard plastic slot. This is where the noise was coming from on my '98. I don't have air bags....not sure how to deal with that.

I agree about the dealer....probably worth giving them a chance or two to find the problem. My problem was finally figured out by a "remote" lexus guy who came by my office to replace the radio (display messed up). This was after the dealer tried to fix the problem several times with foam inserts and a new instument cluster cover. Man....rattles can be tough, but it feels great when you get them figured out.

FYI, this same "remote" lexus guy told me that he sees rattles also coming from the air diverter that sits in the front of the dash.
i will try that again. i remember pushing the a pillar and there were still noise. but then i didn't push the very bottom of it so it could be why
Old 12-11-02, 11:26 PM
Copout221
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, but the minute you fix one you hear another, and another, etc. I like the stereo in my car and I listen to it loud for this reason. My BMW also had a bunch of rattles and creakes, I really don't think any vehicle out there can be rattle free !!
Old 12-12-02, 12:44 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

okay.. i see everyone havin' this problem.. but did anyone actually found solution for this? 'cause as i can see even brand new cars having that.. so obviosly lexus itself can't figure it out .. so i guess answer would come from one of our members ..

anyone?
Old 12-12-02, 01:49 AM
newyorker
Driver

Default well

Originally posted by alexus
okay.. i see everyone havin' this problem.. but did anyone actually found solution for this? 'cause as i can see even brand new cars having that.. so obviosly lexus itself can't figure it out .. so i guess answer would come from one of our members ..

anyone?
I know why cars have rattles....in these days..
Since the car maunufacturing system.. automated...
This makes problem... hand made car has rattle? I don't think so.
but robot makes cars and it is slightly less assembled...
which makes it to loose with other parts. and rattles...
older cars has less rattle and better quality since more process has been done with hand...
There is no way out of rattle since cars are made by robot.
If you know take part out and hand assemble....
then go ahead ...it will make alot better....put some insulators between each parts...

I had ride in Bently which is hand-made....wow...no rattle believe or not... absolutly perpect quality...
then see how much you pay for that...

I can say this too...in japan winter is cold and summer is hot..
Check your production date...If it is summer ...you are bad luck.
If it is winter then you are in better shape...all parts expand as they get heat....for cars made in winter,,, parts are already shrinked when they assembled....so less noise....summer cars have more chance to have rattles since it will shrink after assembly....

I always buy winter cars....never buy cars made during summer.

And one more thing...Toyota has less rattles then Lexus since lexus use more parts then Toyota does... just look at your lexus ...how many parts are making a one area... then look at camry....one big plastic...see....

I hope somebody tell this to LEXUS and try to fix when they make..
Old 12-12-02, 01:53 AM
Copout221
Driver

HMMMMMMMMM......MY car is white, so it must have been made in the winter !!! I am so lucky, I wonder if this will increase my resale value !!
Old 12-12-02, 03:40 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

what about black cars? lol
Old 12-13-02, 07:11 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Funny you say that because the weather went above freezing this week and the noise is gone. So I guess the dash expanded a bit and thats why theres is no noise. I will see what happens when it gets cold again and let you guys know.