GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone ever get rubing or creaking noise on the passenger side dash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-02, 08:51 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Anyone ever get rubing or creaking noise on the passenger side dash?

I have noticed that the passenger side dash makes a rubbing or creaking noise when the car hits a minor bump. The upper dash. The dash has never been removed for anything or any aftermarket radio added. I just hate the noise it makes its so annoying. Does anyone ever get this??? It sounds like the dash is cracking...I was thinking that maybe it has to do with the cold weather here in NY. But I don't remember it doing it last winter. Well I put the heat on and let it sit and then drove the car and it still made the noise. Because I know with the sunroof noise I had it only does it during humid days. But this noise is much more annoying. Let me know thanks
Old 12-10-02, 10:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to make you feel better i have one on the driver side...
Old 12-10-02, 10:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Ye I also get lots of creaking noises from the dash and the shifter, especially now that its cold. I think these creacking and rattling noises affect many GS cars for some reason.

My father's RX is older than my car but it feels more solidly built inside. That is my only complaint about the GS, that there is way too many creaking and rattling noises inside, especially when I drive with my 18s on.
Old 12-10-02, 11:44 PM
Likecars
Rookie

Yep, comes and goes. My driver side went away as well. I can duplicate it by moving the defog vent that sits in the dash.
Old 12-10-02, 11:48 PM
newyorker
Driver

Default I have it too...

My 2003 Gs300 also has lots of rattles depend on temperature..
it becomes better since car warm up....but it does anyway..
Dealer fixed couple serious rattles under the dash by take apart all the part and re-assemble all part with insulator...it certainly helped but.. I still have rattle in shifter area which comes on and off...I know Toyota has rattles..... from my old Toyota experience..
This company don't make solid cars...they are little weak but last long.....just forget about rattle and drive...since you go smooth road ,,,,, it is quiet and smooth....

From my experinece? Honda has the most solid plastic interior
BMW has the most solid metal structure..
Toyota has the most long lasting cars...
Old 12-11-02, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: I have it too...

Originally posted by newyorker
My 2003 Gs300 also has lots of rattles depend on temperature..
it becomes better since car warm up....but it does anyway..
Dealer fixed couple serious rattles under the dash by take apart all the part and re-assemble all part with insulator...it certainly helped but.. I still have rattle in shifter area which comes on and off...I know Toyota has rattles..... from my old Toyota experience..
This company don't make solid cars...they are little weak but last long.....just forget about rattle and drive...since you go smooth road ,,,,, it is quiet and smooth....

From my experinece? Honda has the most solid plastic interior
BMW has the most solid metal structure..
Toyota has the most long lasting cars...
i beg to differ. i have the 02 tl type s, it has more rattle than i can ever imagine. honda definitely has dropped in quality if anything. and comparing honda to toyota, toyota still wins
Old 12-11-02, 12:13 AM
newyorker
Driver

Default Re: Re: I have it too...

Originally posted by rominl

i beg to differ. i have the 02 tl type s, it has more rattle than i can ever imagine. honda definitely has dropped in quality if anything. and comparing honda to toyota, toyota still wins
sorry to hear that..
I had BMW330i, Acura 3.2tl and Toyota camly...

so far Acura had least problems ....
BMW had one cracking window problems...and BMW could not fix it.
Toyota camly had some rattles but can be ignored since I listen music a lot....and no serious problems...

So far ..I will never buy BMW again...
I just bought 2003 Gs300 and I will keep this car maybe about 4~5 years then.... I will move up to Mercedes S-class..or maybe LS430....since I am only 22years old..
Old 12-11-02, 12:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Re: I have it too...

Originally posted by newyorker

sorry to hear that..
I had BMW330i, Acura 3.2tl and Toyota camly...

so far Acura had least problems ....
BMW had one cracking window problems...and BMW could not fix it.
Toyota camly had some rattles but can be ignored since I listen music a lot....and no serious problems...

So far ..I will never buy BMW again...
I just bought 2003 Gs300 and I will keep this car maybe about 4~5 years then.... I will move up to Mercedes S-class..or maybe LS430....since I am only 22years old..
wow, 22 and you already have 3 nice cars! but funny, listen to this. i am 24, and i have 92 camry, 02 tls, and 98 gs4. hahaha.... does it sound VERy familiar?

believe it or not.... my 92 camry has the least problem.... except its speed of course, hahha
Old 12-11-02, 12:18 AM
newyorker
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: I have it too...

Originally posted by rominl

wow, 22 and you already have 3 nice cars! but funny, listen to this. i am 24, and i have 92 camry, 02 tls, and 98 gs4. hahaha.... does it sound VERy familiar?

believe it or not.... my 92 camry has the least problem.... except its speed of course, hahha
you agree with camly quality.....it is best car ...hehe...
good price and good in everything but master of none...heheh.
I love camly....

By the way my father's Mercedes S500 is beautiful car....had it for 2 years and no problems.....and My mom's new e-320....she just picked up....it's doing ok....So I want to buy mercedes next time..
but I still love Japan products....

And for your tl....because it is made in USA that is why poor quality.
Old 12-11-02, 12:21 AM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got mine fixed (well mostly)

Dealer took of the felt A pillar cover (driver's side for me) and covered the part that plugs in behind the dash with insulating material. This helped for a while...but then the rattle came back.

I took off the same pillar cover myself (thanks Todd at TM Engineering for the tool). I noticed that the piece the dealer put on had worn through in two key places. Once again there was hard plastic contacting hard plastic. I wrapped a small piece of old lightweight bicyle tube around the plastic tab and reassembled it. Big improvement. I would only try to remove the A pillar cover if you have the right tool. Good luck and let me know if you need more info.

I always thought this creak/rattle came from the dash or the insert that fits over the instruments. I could easily duplicate it by pushing slightly on the front of the dash. I didn't realize that it was actually the dash pushing on the A pillar cover that made the noise.
Old 12-11-02, 02:32 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

The only thing that worrys me about doing that is that I have a 2002 so I have those air bags in the pilliars. What do you think?
Old 12-11-02, 02:51 AM
newyorker
Driver

Originally posted by purebliss
The only thing that worrys me about doing that is that I have a 2002 so I have those air bags in the pilliars. What do you think?
If you turn off the battery....disconnet then it will be ok...
but If you have 2002 ...why don't you bring it to dealer and let them do the work....
I have appointment this friday about alighnment and same rattle in glove box....
give them enought time to work on...Last time when they assemble again...it took full two days...
Old 12-11-02, 01:31 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

I just think sometimes when the dealer starts to mess with things then he creates a whole new problem with the car. I rather just firgure it out myself or ignore it. I mean the last time I had a problem with the door handle and they took off the inside of the door and it was put back all sloppy. I had to take it off and put it back myself. thanks for the help
Old 12-11-02, 02:26 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I have rattles in the driver side dash. The passenger seat makes noise too. It's still under warranty so once I go in for the 30k service I am going to leave it there until it's fixed.

As far as American quality, we had a 2000 Corolla we bought new and it didn't have any rattles or any other problems. I think it's quality control more then anything else.
Old 12-11-02, 08:18 PM
Copout221
Driver

Drivers side creaking for me also, and the dealer has looked at it twice and tried to insulate everything. I am just getting use to it and hope it goes away on it's own !!!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever get rubing or creaking noise on the passenger side dash?