GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Curb Shot?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-02, 09:50 PM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Curb Shot?!?!

Can someone please explain to me how the heck a rim gets curb shot if you NEVER park next to curbs?

Ok, my rims are 2 weeks old. I never park my car next to curbs but I came out this morning to get in my car to
go to work. I always do a once around before I get in. Sometimes I wipe off any brake dust from the rims.

Sure enough this morning I get to my Front Passenger rim and what do I see? 25% of the rims edge is curb shot
like someone ran it right into a curb.

I was like WTF?!?!?!?!? I can't believe this. I know it couldn't of been my wife because she hasn't driven the car
in a week and like I said, I wipe down or check out the car EVERY morning and I've stressed to her the rules about
parking next to curbs. She now parks like 4 feet away.

Damnit I hate crap like this. To top it off, I notice 2 dimple sized dings on my left rear fender!!
Every time I see new crap happening to the car I just can't help to think WTF!!, where did that come from now?!?!

I feel like I'm climbing an uphill battle trying to just keep the car in decent condition.

Well, it looks like I'm off to the body shop. This crap pisses me off.
Old 12-10-02, 10:04 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Default Re: Curb Shot?!?!

WOW

Last edited by APLUS; 12-10-02 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-10-02, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh man sorry to hear that. the only thing i can think of is when you do right turn at some small street, you turned too fast and the wheels touched the side of the curb. that's the only other way to get them, and how they can be so long
Old 12-10-02, 10:35 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

bummer dude!!

If it isnt your wife, or a jealous neighbor....then its got to be the way you drive.

Did you park in a stall with a grassy median (with a curb)....thinking that if you park closer to the curb side....the guy on the other side wont be able to ding you? Sometimes reversing out of a stall, you may turn too early and scrape the rim ever so slightly against a curb. Its happened to me before with my 2nd car (integra)....and the scrape is on the front passenger rim.

Sorry, sometimes the truth hurts.

Pete
Old 12-11-02, 08:57 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know how you feel. I made a mistake and let my mom drive my car for the first time cause her car was in service. I told her ahead of time, "watch out and do not go close to the curb, otherwise you will scratch my rims" ....she says dont worrry.

When she came home, I was anxiously awaiting her arrival....i went outside to inspect the car and checked all 4 rims and tires. The first 3 rims I checked were perfect....so i was like great nothing happened....than I went to check the last rim and yup you guessed it.....a huge gash half way around the rim. My heart almost stopped and I was so pissed. I even brought her out and showed her and she denies any responsiblity.

Now, she never even wants to drive the car and my wife stays away from it as well. The only one I have to worry about is my younger brother....who is single and a bigtime player. He has a acura TL but always wants to take my GS out.

At first I was like hell no...cause he wants to go into NYC with it. ....not happening....but now I am considering letting him borrow it, especially now since he put a deposit on a new 03 M3 SMG.

YIKES....:eek:
Old 12-11-02, 10:35 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see..... stuff like this is the exact reason why I don't let my girlfriend drive my car when I have the 20's on during warm weather. She complains like crazy, but I just ask her "do you want to replace one of these when you curb it?" Then she shuts up real quick. Sometimes it just feels like it's not worth it to have a nice car around my area. Salt trucks in the winter, big rigs all year round. All kicking up crap for me to drive through.
Old 12-11-02, 01:43 PM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Thanks guys. At least I don't feel so alone.

I guess it's very well possible that I could have done it. Maybe turning into a driveway too soon and slightly rubbing the edge on the curb?
I do know that curbs are a sin and I never park next to them. I rather park next to a few cars. Replacing a rim cost a lot more than fixing a little dent.

I just hate when you see something you have no idea where it came from. Maybe it's better that way. I mean if I saw the person that
put the dents in my rear fender, I'd probly be in prison right now from manslaughter

Driving a nice car definitely has it's +'s and -'s.

O.T. I'm getting ready to have my front bumper re-painted. The scrapes on the bottom coming up the front from going up high sloped driveways is driving me nuts.
Black shows through if the scratch is deep enough and on a silver car it looks pretty bad.

Is there anything I can ask my body shop to paint along the bottom that will resist this type of thing from happening so easily?
Old 12-11-02, 02:42 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Hi,

I have the same thing happen to my rims months ago and I found out the scrashes on the rims were caused from the gas station that offers car wash service. Now I wash my car myself.
Old 12-11-02, 04:34 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by ebruceii
see..... stuff like this is the exact reason why I don't let my girlfriend drive my car
that's sad, kinda. I'd cry if my significant other didn't let me drive!! It'll be no more homecooked dinners...and other good stuff.
Old 12-11-02, 04:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by damnboy
Hi,

I have the same thing happen to my rims months ago and I found out the scrashes on the rims were caused from the gas station that offers car wash service. Now I wash my car myself.
well, first rule of owning and loving your car:

never ever let other people wash your car. i always wash my own car no matter how tired and cold
Old 12-11-02, 04:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by meZoom!

that's sad, kinda. I'd cry if my significant other didn't let me drive!! It'll be no more homecooked dinners...and other good stuff.
hehe for the record i always let my gf drives my car. in fact she is driving my gs4 now with all the mods and i am not worried
Old 12-11-02, 05:03 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with Rominl, I let my lady drive the car, not as much anymore since I got the kit, but I always let her take it before. Now the car gets driven about once or twice a week....I'd rather have someone drive it and get my money's worth.
Old 12-11-02, 06:50 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife wont drive my car....she hasn't even set the #2 seat memory settings yet....she says its more fun being a passenger!

She knows I spend alot of time in the garage. Not sure if she too scared to drive my baby, or she just spoiled (me being her chauffer).

LOL
Old 12-11-02, 10:08 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I can surely relate

What's bad is you begin to feel like you're asking too much just to keep the car undamaged.

When I bought my GS4 it had 2 very small door dings(driver's door and pass rear respectively), and I had prepared to take it to a dent guy that's extremely good. Well. I made an appointment which was 2 weeks from the day we bought the car. My wife drove it to get a haircut about 5 days before the dent guy was to get it. Mind you, during this time, I'm adding layers of Zaino and I scrutinize the panels of the car from all angles because I HATE DINGS!!! So..I know the car's paint VERY well by then, and every mark in it.
Well, I'm doing my Zaino thing the night after her haircut. BAM! ...WTF! ANOTHER DING! I am livid. It's in the same door as the 1 original ding that was on the pass rear door when I bought it. My wife was also upset actually..."I only went to get a haircut with it, that's the only possible place it could've happened". Well, Murphy's law and me are very well aquainted. I just couldn't believe we got a new ding within 2 weeks of purchasing the car, which, and we weren't even using as a daily driver The GS is art IMO and If it's not pristine it's like a Picasso with a rip in it.

People are so feckless about other people's property these days; they could care less. The good thing was, the dent guy charged per PANEL, so multiple dings in one door didn't cost any more $$$. He removed ALL 3 dings, and the car is as new now, and straight. No paintwork needed.
I hate being this way but...It's gotten so I won't even drive the GS if I'm forced to park it somewhere where I lose control over parking distances. I park along a curb, or out in the boonies etc. But in the end it's probably just a matter of time before someone sees that as an excuse to park a clunker next to me and dent me. I just wish I were there to see it happen. Ehh...I'd be in jail.
Old 12-11-02, 10:56 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Default Top this Guitarman

Got my new GS430 the other day. Car actually had 700 miles on it but the dealer made me a December to Remember believer.

On inspection, the wife, who can spot ANY ding, notices a slight crease just behind the rear door passenger side. Lexus Dealer has obviously seen this as it has been touched up. Most people probably would NEVER notice it, but I will - every day I see the car from now on.

Dealer assures me they will have it taken care of and calls me to setup appt.

I bring car in today and dent guy looks at it and says "I can't fix that. I would have to drill into the car to fix that and I'm not doing that on a brand new car".

So, my new baby comes with a free door ding.

I'm turning this into a positive thing. For the next 39 months, I'm parking in NORMAL parking spots and I'm even going to take it through car washes!

I spent the last three years keeping my BMW in perfect condition all so I can turn it back into BMW - why? Not gonna do it any more.

PS - ok, I'm still going to be really careful about where I park it but I'm serious about the carwash!

Quick Reply: Curb Shot?!?!