GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Taking it too far

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 02:30 AM
BCHDAZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, love or hate you must appreciate the amount of work that went into this one! (GRS-180 crown Athlete)

and here's another to keep the hater's complaining.

if Darth-Vader were an aristo.....
Old 01-11-13, 08:22 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion:

As an execution of fabrication skill, the exhaust on that white car is really nice. That said, there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing". I love *****. But if my wife had 4 of them it wouldn't make her more attractive. Quite the opposite.

The rear bumper/diffuser on the black car is hideous. Full-on track-inspired design details don't belong on a car that is very obviously not practical to drive on the street, let alone a race track. The concept is flawed. To pull off that race-inspired rear look the rest of the car needs to look more track-ready. More along the lines of a DTM body kit with functional wheel alignment and tire fitment. If he'd have kept it clean it would flow with the rest of the car better.
Old 01-11-13, 09:36 AM
818GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BCHDAZ
ok, love or hate you must appreciate the amount of work that went into this one! (GRS-180 crown Athlete)

and here's another to keep the hater's complaining.

if Darth-Vader were an aristo.....
I really like the creativeness with the exhaust on the white car but I think it's over engineered. Also the black car looks like its the same car as the original one I posed. He just got rid of the 6 exhaust pipes and went with the diffuser. It looks nice just not my style. I would prefer it without the diffuser and a lot less camber. Very clean nonetheless.
Old 01-11-13, 10:13 AM
CYNE
Driver

after looking through this thread, i have to agree that this is all opinion
theres no right or wrong way to do your car. its your car, do as you please
Old 01-11-13, 10:49 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's face it NOTHING is really original anymore. Whatever anyone has done or think of doing, somewhere in the world it has already been done. But that car I would hardly call bandwagon hopping. JZZ30TT said it best. That car rolls static and is not tucked because he has custom radius fender. I'm sure if there side profile of that car the skirt is less than a inch off the ground all across. Bandwagon, meaning you think everyone is doing this now. Show me at least 5 members who have triple exhaust or radius fenders rolling static.

It all just bottles down to you not liking the car. OK we get it, but lets not turn this into "this is not original" because you just won't find it. We can still all agree there was a lot of work that went into that car. A lot more than most of the people who claim VIP here. You're obviously entitled to your own opinion but this debate is useless and will go nowhere.

Custom is custom. No matter what, it still makes it more unique than just bolt-ons. Sure retro-fit headlights has been done. Sure custom fenders has been done. But they don't all look the same. When it comes to fabricating something everyone will have their own twist and they should be commended for being innovative and not discriminated. Which is why I love Japan because anything goes. Here if you make something different you get ridiculed.

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 01-11-13 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 10:55 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just dont get the concept of cars built like this at all. Whatever happened to "functional builds". Im a horse power guy, so everything has to have a functional purpose in my world, but thats just me.

The car could be nice take away a few of the over the top items.....like the stupid camber
Old 01-11-13, 11:21 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
You're obviously entitled to your own opinion but this debate is useless and will go nowhere.
Why so pessimistic? If by "go nowhere" you mean that you'll never convince me to agree with you, then maybe you're right. But maybe you're not. I'm an open-minded person. At the same time, I also think you're misunderstanding me a bit. Either way - open discourse on this topic is exactly what feeds the creativity to do something new. Someone at some time in the future may stumble upon this thread and the very healthy debate herein and find it sparks an idea that inspires them to create something awesome.

Let's face it NOTHING is really original anymore.
If you truly believe that, I feel sorry for you. Remember the very first time you saw a modern big body car laying frame? The VERY first time? Because you've been in the VIP scene for a while, I'm guessing it was probably back when it was a pretty new thing. *someone* had to be the first to take a late-model Japanese luxury car and completely slam it while at the same time exaggerating the luxurious qualities of the car. At that moment it was new and original. It started an entire scene. These things will continue to happen. I would hate to think that nothing is original anymore. I'd give up the car hobby completely if this was the case.

Bandwagon, meaning you think everyone is doing this now. Show me at least 5 members who have triple exhaust or radius fenders rolling static.
"Bandwagon" - Partially meaning that it's a thing that a lot of people are doing to fit in with the cool kids. Mostly meaning that it's not creative. Read more carefully and you'll notice I was only referring to the slam, camber and stretch. The triple exhaust is an aberration and I didn't even notice the radiused fenders.

It all just bottles down to you not liking the car.
Nope. That's not it. It boils down to someone calling it creative (interpreted by me as "unique" or "original") and me disagreeing. It has nothing to do with whether or not I like the car. I can call a car that I like unoriginal.

When it comes to fabricating something everyone will have their own twist and they should be commended for being innovative and not discriminated. Which is why I love Japan because anything goes. Here if you make something different you get ridiculed.
Again, you are misunderstanding me - or choosing to only pay attention to 1/2 of what I'm saying. I've repeated again and again that I appreciate the craftsmanship and attention to detail of (most of) the cars posted in this thread. I'm not ridiculing anyone for making something different. That is actually the polar opposite of my entire point.

The statement was made that the black GS in the first post was made with "creativity" and I simply disagreed and stated that I don't think slam, stretch and camber is creative. I've since admitted that there's a lot more custom work to that car that my untrained eyes may be overlooking.
Old 01-11-13, 11:47 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
I'm not ridiculing anyone for making something different. That is actually the polar opposite of my entire point.
of course you're not

The rear bumper/diffuser on the black car is hideous.
And I'm not being pessimistic but these debates will always go on forever and no one ever backs down. So all we can do is agree to disagree.
Old 01-11-13, 12:00 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
of course you're not
The rear bumper/diffuser on the black car is hideous.
a) That's not ridicule. b) I set up that entire post with the phrase "My opinion". And then I backed up that opinion with how I'd do it differently.

That's called constructive criticism. Not ridicule.

You seem to be taking this whole thing rather personally. If it makes any difference, your 2.0 build thread is probably the only thread on this forum I've been back to a million times without posting in it just to drool over the photos. Like I said...I have a high level of appreciation for clean design and high craftsmanship regardless if it's a car I'd build myself or not.
Old 01-11-13, 12:22 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

a) That's not ridicule. b) I set up that entire post with the phrase "My opinion". And then I backed up that opinion with how I'd do it differently.

That's called constructive criticism. Not ridicule.
Whether or not you put the "Opinion" at the beginning or not is irrelevant. Calling it "hideous" is an insult which is the very definition of ridicule. It may be your opinion, and you may choose to do it different but still an insult. If you simply said "it's not the way I would have done it" and then followed up with your way, that would be constructive criticism.

You seem to be taking this whole thing rather personally. If it makes any difference, your 2.0 build thread is probably the only thread on this forum I've been back to a million times without posting in it just to drool over the photos. Like I said...I have a high level of appreciation for clean design and high craftsmanship regardless if it's a car I'd build myself or not.
Nope not personal at all just chiming in on my 0.02 cents. I have strong opinions like yourself.
Old 01-11-13, 12:29 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Strong men have strong opinions. Respect, bro.

Calling something hideous may be strongly worded, but it's not an insult. It's just calling it like I see it. It's ugly, gaudy, misguided. It's not an insult because a car cannot feel insulted, and I wasn't saying anything negative about the owner/builder except that I strongly disagree with his design choices.
Old 01-11-13, 12:33 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

LOL You see what I mean. We are going to have to agree to disagree.. this can go for years LOL
Old 01-11-13, 12:37 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

I can agree to disagree on matters of opinion all day long. I actually love hearing people debate opposite opinions on design. Like I said before, I work in design as a profession. (graphic, not industrial, but still....) So I feed off this kind of energy - if you couldn't already tell.

I just want to be clear that people understand my intent (insult vs criticism). Those are matters of fact and very hard to distinguish over the internetz.
Old 01-11-13, 12:56 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

True. But if you came to my home and you said the decor in my house was disgusting. You are not insulting the decor but the one to put it there. Just like if you said the car is ugly its not the car your insulting its the designer.

I just dont go too deep into opinions when I can see already that it will not be agreed upon. it will just get be worked up to the point I will write a 5 page debate. LOL
Old 01-11-13, 12:59 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Bring on the 5-page debate! haha

Quick Reply: Taking it too far