GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Taking it too far

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 01:18 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

creative - One who displays productive originality
originality being the key word
Old 01-11-13, 01:25 PM
GTE4Life
Rookie

I personally think that the original GS in this thread is kind of unique, i do hat the camber but that could be corrected for a pretty clean car... yes t has 6 exhaust tips but at least they are nicely and tastefully done, they actually look very well made and i think are not too tacky (unlike the orange GS on page 2 which i think is nasty, it has one of the worst exhausts i have ever seen lol) .

Have you seen the corvette exhausts with the four tips all right next to each other, sure it is not six total tips but it is even more tips jammed together than the black GS.

I am all for off-the-wall originality as long as it is well exicuted
Old 01-11-13, 01:50 PM
BCHDAZ
Pole Position

anyone think they can pull this one off?

here's another of the orange car.... change of angle and light makes a huge difference.

Last edited by BCHDAZ; 01-11-13 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 02:02 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
Bring on the 5-page debate! haha
LOL Thanks but no thanks. That's valuable time I can spend surfing ****
Old 01-11-13, 02:27 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
LOL Thanks but no thanks. That's valuable time I can spend surfing ****
Well played.

The close up of the exhaust on the orange car is actually really attractive. So well made and such high attention to detail. On a micro level it's a work of art. I'm afraid, however, on a macro level as a part of a larger car it's just a pill I can't bear to swallow.
Old 01-11-13, 02:57 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

I remember actually seeing that orange Aristo last year at Tokyo Auto Salon. It didn't really do much for me but creative.

How's this for creativity. The pictures really don;t do this car justice. It it one of the craziest builds I've ever seen. You wouldn;t even believe the base platform they used for this car.

Old 01-11-13, 03:20 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember actually seeing that orange Aristo last year at Tokyo Auto Salon. It didn't really do much for me but creative.

How's this for creativity. The pictures really don;t do this car justice. It it one of the craziest builds I've ever seen. You wouldn;t even believe the base platform they used for this car.

Hey hey.. This forum is for cars, not transformers, LOL. Couldn't resist.
Old 01-11-13, 03:35 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 01-11-13 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 04:05 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

IYou wouldn;t even believe the base platform they used for this car.
G50 Q45 of course

EDIT: Damn I didn't realize they mentioned it in the video... ah well.

Last edited by JZZ30TT; 01-11-13 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 04:09 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

There we go, now this thread ****ing getting somewhere.

Old 01-11-13, 05:02 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2

Again, you are misunderstanding me - or choosing to only pay attention to 1/2 of what I'm saying. I've repeated again and again that I appreciate the craftsmanship and attention to detail of (most of) the cars posted in this thread. I'm not ridiculing anyone for making something different. That is actually the polar opposite of my entire point.

The statement was made that the black GS in the first post was made with "creativity" and I simply disagreed and stated that I don't think slam, stretch and camber is creative. I've since admitted that there's a lot more custom work to that car that my untrained eyes may be overlooking.

Your disposition is a bit refreshing to be honest. Although I think a little too focused on the word creative and it's definition, it's nice to seem more people on this forum who are not ok with the general complacency CL is known for.

Complacency just breeds more complacency. Thus my statement earlier about TTE lips and coilovers. TTE lips were super popular back in '05-'06 but it seems the US community (mostly CL) hasn't been able to move on.. largely in part to threads like this, and people being afraid to get criticized I would assume. Then again, no matter what half assed disaster is see posted on here it is ALWAYS followed with 3 pages of people saying how it "looks good". Too afraid to hurt someones feelings by not liking their particular style.

So you have a group of people too afraid to try something different, who are also too afraid to hurt someones feelings and be honest = TTE lips and Coilovers

EDIT: Just so that post isn't taken the wrong way, it clearly doesn't apply to everyone, there are some extremely nice builds on CL, just few and far between.

Last edited by JZZ30TT; 01-11-13 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 05:47 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That orange GS is bad *** minus the exhaust.

JZZ, the bottom line is people have different tastes, period. To generalize people with TTE lips and coilovers as afraid to be different is rediculous. Perhaps those people actually love their understated clean lined GS'. Everyone has different styles in cars, clothes, girls, etc, etc....
Old 01-11-13, 06:03 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
Your disposition is a bit refreshing to be honest. Although I think a little too focused on the word creative and it's definition, it's nice to seem more people on this forum who are not ok with the general complacency CL is known for.

Complacency just breeds more complacency. Thus my statement earlier about TTE lips and coilovers. TTE lips were super popular back in '05-'06 but it seems the US community (mostly CL) hasn't been able to move on.. largely in part to threads like this, and people being afraid to get criticized I would assume. Then again, no matter what half assed disaster is see posted on here it is ALWAYS followed with 3 pages of people saying how it "looks good". Too afraid to hurt someones feelings by not liking their particular style.

So you have a group of people too afraid to try something different, who are also too afraid to hurt someones feelings and be honest = TTE lips and Coilovers

EDIT: Just so that post isn't taken the wrong way, it clearly doesn't apply to everyone, there are some extremely nice builds on CL, just few and far between.
You are confusing complacency with diversity. There are tens of thousands more members on Club Lexus with a 2GS than in any other community. That means a whole lot more variety, invariably bringing along with it folks with very different tastes than yours. You want a smaller focused group with style that mirrors yours, there are plenty of niche communities to cater to your taste where you can flame the new guys for not liking their style. Here we've got a little bit of everything.

Because someone does something different than your style doesn't mean they are complacent. You aren't going to get ten thousand 2GS owning members that want to turn their GS into a nearly undriveable negative camber show car. We've got folks that just want to get to work. We've got members like TTurboPimp that have sunk huge sums into their GS simply for the sake of performance. Others want to build a VIP car of some flavor. Many like me transition across several styles over the many years of ownership of their GS (including a TTE lip and coilovers ).

It's all good and ANY enthusiasm somebody's got to take interest in their Lexus and improve it or fix it themselves is what we're here for. The desire to call out another member's ride they are building to meet their own personal goals as a complacent 'half assed disaster' because they really like a TTE lip and coilovers, or going off on a rant about somebody complimenting another member on their car doesn't make sense to me. Honest constructive criticism is absolutely fine and encouraged, just do it without the rude flames. Just respect that not everyone will want the same thing you do and their goals or budget may be very different.

As this thread went downhill after my last post I'll chip in again:

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys, there is no 'correct' or 'incorrect' with this stuff. It's called opinion and preference and we don't all have the same ones...

Take a deep breath and understand not everyone has to agree with yours. That's OK.
Old 01-11-13, 06:08 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
That orange GS is bad *** minus the exhaust.

JZZ, the bottom line is people have different tastes, period. To generalize people with TTE lips and coilovers as afraid to be different is rediculous. Perhaps those people actually love their understated clean lined GS'. Everyone has different styles in cars, clothes, girls, etc, etc....
I never said they were afraid to be different, but you're missing the point completely and getting offended.

My last post was about the general community attitude here, not individuals in particular.

Also, by "Clean Lined" I'm assuming you meant "Stock Lined" which is fine and it certainly has it's place. If that's what you like that's cool but isn't really what this thread is about.
Old 01-11-13, 06:22 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

The desire to call out another member's ride they are building to meet their own personal goals as a complacent 'half assed disaster' because they really like a TTE lip and coilovers, or going off on a rant about somebody complimenting another member on their car doesn't make sense to me.
I certainly didn't call anyone out, in fact the OP is the only one who did that...

I never said cars with tte lips were a half assed disaster either, so I'm not sure why you are interpreting what I said as something it isn't.

You can feel my post was a personal attack, but it wasn't. It was simply an observation. You may or may not agree with it (I guess that depends if you have a tte lip or not.. lol). I don't have anything against that lip, I simply used that as one example of many.

As this thread went downhill after my last post I'll chip in again:
This thread didn't go down hill the conversation just got more personal, it's still a conversation and still on topic.

Quick Reply: Taking it too far