GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replace Timing Belt Repair Manual GS300 2000

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 10:17 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace Timing Belt Repair Manual GS300 2000

Hello Guys, I am uploading the Timing Belt Repairing Manual for anyone who needs to work on the 2000 GS300. Also, I have one question regarding putting the timing belt back on. Do I need to align the middle line on the timing belt with the crank shaft dot? It said in the manual, but I couldn't interpret exactly what they meant. If anyone can shed some light on this one, I am greatly appreciat it. Yes, I did searched the forum even Jeffsai's video, but could not locate this one question that I have. Pls, advise. In the repair manual, it saids to Align the matchmarks of the cranshaft timing pulley and timing belt, and install the belt with the arrow pointing in the direction of the engine revolution. I did not see any arrow on the timing belt with an arrow point to any direction. Then do I install the timing belt with the text facing toward me or toward the engine? Thank you guys for all your help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Timging Belt 2000 GS300.PDF (413.2 KB, 2347 views)
Old 01-22-13, 02:45 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Guys, anybody can chimp in on this one. Believe me I tried the search, but did not any specific info on how to put it back on. On the DIY instruction was very vague, and on the repair manual which I got confuse as to how to place the mark on the timing belt to what mark on the crankshaft. Pls, someone in this forum got to know this. Thank you very much in advance.
Old 01-22-13, 02:47 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ivnnln
Guys, anybody can chimp in on this one. Believe me I tried the search, but did not any specific info on how to put it back on. On the DIY instruction was very vague, and on the repair manual which I got confuse as to how to place the mark on the timing belt to what mark on the crankshaft. Pls, someone in this forum got to know this. Thank you very much in advance.
Here is the upload of the images that I have questions. Once again, thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails Replace Timing Belt Repair Manual GS300 2000-crank-shaft-1.jpg   Replace Timing Belt Repair Manual GS300 2000-repair-manual-2000-gs300.jpg  
Old 01-22-13, 03:03 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

What brand timing belt are you using? The markings really don't matter. And if it's a new belt, it doesn't matter which way the words are facing. If you are reusing the old belt, it needs to go back on in the same direction it was before.

From a quick Google search:

• Slide the new belt onto the crankshaft sprocket and over the idler/tensioner pulley. Install the little restrictor to hold the belt onto the crank sprocket.
• Install the lower belt guide onto the crankshaft and install the number 1 timing cover.
•*Install the crankshaft pulley and make sure that the crankshaft sub-timing mark is still aligned with the “O” on the cover. Install the pulley retaining bolt hand tight (do not move the crankshaft).
• Recheck the timing marks on the camshafts and adjust if necessary
• Slide the timing belt onto the camshaft sprockets with slack on the tensioner side and no slack between the camshaft sprockets
• Install the tensioner damper by alternately tightening the bolts after making sure the dust boot is in position
• Remove the pin from the tensioner body and allow a few minutes for the tensioner to stabilize pressure on the belt
• turn the engine over by hand, clockwise only, at least two full turns and recheck timing mark alignment.

If you do everything properly...the hard part is done after that. If your engine keeps time when turning it over by hand, you've got the belt on properly and your cams are timed to the crank. You really just need to make sure your crank timing pulley and your cam timing pulleys are aligned properly to their markings and that you put the belt on with no slack on the wrong side.

The markings on the belt are not really super relevant.

Source.
Old 01-22-13, 03:03 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like you have your crank at the right spot, which is TDC. Marks on timing belt itself are only for reference to help you install it. I don't think that my new original timing belt from toyota had any marks on it. I've seen reference marks on V8 belts but not the ones for 2jzge. Now as far as for writing on timing belt I think that letters were facing inward but again I don't think that it matters unless indicated on belt itself specifically.

You must make sure that your camshafts are set accordingly to crank or otherwise it could be a disaster. Let me look at some of my pics....

Yes letters are facing inward, meaning you would be able to read them as if you were to be seating inside of car.

Last edited by krispl; 01-22-13 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 04:00 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
What brand timing belt are you using? The markings really don't matter. And if it's a new belt, it doesn't matter which way the words are facing. If you are reusing the old belt, it needs to go back on in the same direction it was before.

From a quick Google search:

• Slide the new belt onto the crankshaft sprocket and over the idler/tensioner pulley. Install the little restrictor to hold the belt onto the crank sprocket.
• Install the lower belt guide onto the crankshaft and install the number 1 timing cover.
•*Install the crankshaft pulley and make sure that the crankshaft sub-timing mark is still aligned with the “O” on the cover. Install the pulley retaining bolt hand tight (do not move the crankshaft).
• Recheck the timing marks on the camshafts and adjust if necessary
• Slide the timing belt onto the camshaft sprockets with slack on the tensioner side and no slack between the camshaft sprockets
• Install the tensioner damper by alternately tightening the bolts after making sure the dust boot is in position
• Remove the pin from the tensioner body and allow a few minutes for the tensioner to stabilize pressure on the belt
• turn the engine over by hand, clockwise only, at least two full turns and recheck timing mark alignment.

If you do everything properly...the hard part is done after that. If your engine keeps time when turning it over by hand, you've got the belt on properly and your cams are timed to the crank. You really just need to make sure your crank timing pulley and your cam timing pulleys are aligned properly to their markings and that you put the belt on with no slack on the wrong side.

The markings on the belt are not really super relevant.

Source.
This brand which I got it from Sewellparts
Attached Thumbnails Replace Timing Belt Repair Manual GS300 2000-timing-belt.jpg  
Old 01-22-13, 04:19 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Thank you both mk2tm22 & Krispl for helping me out on this one. Now I feel that I did everything according the what you both are mentioning and per repair manual. It's just the three lines marking on the timing belt which worry me. With these clarification, I can install the belt carefully per what you both are advising me. The wordings in the manual is something confuse me. Thank you guys so very much. I will let both of you know how it goes after I am done with it. I am replacing valve cover gaskets, cam & crank seals, HO2 pump, thermostat, spark plugs, PCV and vacuum hoses, rewrap some of the brittle electrical wires insulator. I also read on this forum that some of us having issue with oil leaking after changing the timing belt on this model. Either bad seal, VVT-I camshaft, or something else. I hope I won't run into this situation. Once again guys, thank you both very much. Keep you posted.
Old 01-22-13, 09:25 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do it! Just take your time and after you release tensioner HAND turn engine 2 revolutions and make sure that there isn't any resistance and that marks on camshafts align with crank at the same time. You should be fine. Don't rush
Old 01-23-13, 03:42 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by krispl
You can do it! Just take your time and after you release tensioner HAND turn engine 2 revolutions and make sure that there isn't any resistance and that marks on camshafts align with crank at the same time. You should be fine. Don't rush
Thank, krispl. I will take my time to do it correctly. I will update how it goes. Thanks again.