GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2002 GS300 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 04:40 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2002 GS300 oil leak

My daughter parked her car in the driveway this weekend on far left side a couple inches off the grass. Today I noticed several good size drips about 3 inches from the grass, about in line with the tires where she parked. Engine oil was a little low and I just did both valve cover gaskets back in July. Brake fluid was a little low also. Neither were a concern. I'm guessing maybe a shock or strut, but didn't realize they dripped that much oil. I will not know for sure until Saturday when can get the car up on a lift. I will focus on calipers and suspension. Anyone else have suggestions based on past experience. Car has 122k or so on it.
Old 01-22-13, 05:13 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Recent oil change? ... if so Make sure the oil plug is on right... Thats happened to me twice and was the reason both times.
Old 01-22-13, 05:38 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

I do all the oil changes and checked filter and plug. No issues there. Last change was in late November on this car.
Old 01-22-13, 11:44 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

VVTi O-ring can go bad when the car is older or has higher miles. This is a big mysterious leak that happens on these cars. If not that, then I would check the cam seals. Those are going to be your main culprits if you are having oil leakage problems. These engines don't really have much oil leaking issues other than that.
Old 01-23-13, 04:13 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
VVTi O-ring can go bad when the car is older or has higher miles. This is a big mysterious leak that happens on these cars. If not that, then I would check the cam seals. Those are going to be your main culprits if you are having oil leakage problems. These engines don't really have much oil leaking issues other than that.
Jeff, is there a write up on how to replace that o-ring? Would OCV or OCV filter have anything to do with a leak? I have no codes on the car.
Old 01-23-13, 05:09 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by burny
Jeff, is there a write up on how to replace that o-ring? Would OCV or OCV filter have anything to do with a leak? I have no codes on the car.
I am in the process of doing the timing belt and replacing cam & crank seals including the o-ring where the straight screw plug goes over the washer seal (o-ring). If the OCV is leakikng, you could see it from either side of the metal washer. I am replacing the two metal washer for the OCV too since I am taking out the filter to inspect which is in good condition. I will post a photo of removing it . Jeffsai 's video only show removing the exhaust cam with two screw, where the VVT-I cam has two bolts sit on the outside and the hexagon type bolts inside the valve cover. Let me know if you need help or Jeffsai can help too. I am waiting for the wash seal from the dealer to put it back in. Good luck.
Old 01-23-13, 05:33 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

I am putting on lift Saturday to find where leak is coming from. The oil was dropping on the drivers side along the outside frame of car. No oil was directly under the car. Never seen oil drip this far to one side like this. That is why i think it could be a strut seal blowed or a caliper leaking. Hard to tell what type of oil it is by looking at it.
I will remove the plastic cover and look under there to see if something is blowing oil. Daughter checked today when she pulled out of space and there was no oil there. If it were the VVTI camgear o-ring or the OCV, then it would leak continuously wouldn't it? This is a strange one and still makes me think it is a blowed strut seal because it seems to be a one time oil dump on the far extreme of the frame.
Old 01-23-13, 08:33 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by burny
I am putting on lift Saturday to find where leak is coming from. The oil was dropping on the drivers side along the outside frame of car. No oil was directly under the car. Never seen oil drip this far to one side like this. That is why i think it could be a strut seal blowed or a caliper leaking. Hard to tell what type of oil it is by looking at it.
I will remove the plastic cover and look under there to see if something is blowing oil. Daughter checked today when she pulled out of space and there was no oil there. If it were the VVTI camgear o-ring or the OCV, then it would leak continuously wouldn't it? This is a strange one and still makes me think it is a blowed strut seal because it seems to be a one time oil dump on the far extreme of the frame.
Check your oil cap to make sure the o-ring is still good. It happened to me on my GS400 , and it turned out to be the oil cap that was leaking oil. Keep us update. Good luck.
Old 01-24-13, 02:06 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

did that when was checking everything out from the ground on Tuesday.