GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Question about compustar draining battery!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 02:46 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Question about compustar draining battery!?!

So I have a 2001 GS430 I just installed a compustar 901 remote start/alarm and after having it 5 days it got REALLY cold here and snowing. So today when I went to start the car after about 16 hours it didnt start with the remote start, went into the car and it barely started with the key it was struggling but it started. Then it was fine until later that day I had it parked a few hours, drove it for 15 mins, turned it off had my iphone charging while it was off, then it completely died and wouldnt start it made that clicking sound. So now im starting to think its the remote start/alarm thats causing this since i never had this problem before getting it and I heard this can happen especially when its extremely cold/hot out. Does anyone know if this is true or if maybe since the alarm place hid the chipped part of the key in the car to trick the immobilizer so the car will start with the autostart. Maybe can the hidden key be also constantly drawing electric along with the alarm causing the battery to die? any opinions appreciated, id like to go back to the alarm places at least knowing what im talking about. Thanks guys let me know!
Old 02-10-13, 02:50 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I forgot to mention even though the battery I have is only a year old, about 5 months ago with no autostart installed it did randomly die and when I took it to autozone they said it checked out fine and nothing was wrong with it but I knew something had to be wrong as I didnt leave any lights on, but it was fine ever since until now…. Would a new battery help? or is the alarm still draining the battery?
Old 02-10-13, 12:56 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Both. Sounds like you have a bad batt to start with. Cold temps are not good for Batteries will cause then to die faster. Compustar usually drains a battery in about 3 weeks not touching the car since it is 2 way. And you charging the phone making the batt die is normal. I've had my gs batt get drained just from having the key in the car in the off position and this was with no Compustar. So charging your phone when you have weak batt and child weather just accelerates the strain process.
Old 02-11-13, 08:25 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

the battery ended up being defective when autozone tested it so they changed it for free but i paid the difference and upgraded to the AGM duralast platinum since its supposed to be the best one they offer and better for cold starting. Its amazing how much better the car glides when I take my foot off the gas and in general how it feels and the MPG seems to have gotten better since the new battery as well
Old 02-16-13, 07:28 PM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same compustar alarm and same prob happened to me when the temp dropped here in ny about 2 weeks ago with a less than a year old diehard platinum bat... I think it just happens from the 2 way system on the remote because same thing happened last winter with the red top battery.... Only solution I could think of is a trickle charger while the cars in the garage... Just make sure you keep a set of jumper cables with you in the winter...
Old 02-16-13, 08:20 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I heard when I was doin some searching online that compustars drain a lot of battery so that combined with cold weather isn't a good thing. Kinda makes me wish I didn't get it if I knew all this would happen. It probably slowly eats away at the reserve battery and if you don't drive you car enough you don't give it a change to fully charge back which eventually causes it to die. That really sucks no wonder Lexus doesn't sell them stock
Old 02-16-13, 08:23 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Does anyone know of a easy way to quickly disconnect the entire system to stop the battery drain completely when the system isn't needed
Old 02-16-13, 10:45 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

then whats the point of having an alarm if you are just gonna disconnect it? just get a small battery charger/ tender and hook it up under the hood. thats what I did for my car when it was stored this winter.
Old 02-16-13, 11:25 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Is there one you can recommend for ease of use and reliability?
Old 02-16-13, 11:28 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Do you think also the fact the key fob is hidden in the car it's constantly sending the signal also causing the battery to slowly drain along with the alarm
Old 02-16-13, 11:35 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

And I honestly got it mainly for the remote start but figured if im gonna have an extra fob might as well get the alarm. So if I leave the compustar unlocked but just lock the factory alarm like when the cars I'm the garage is it still draining the battery with the antenna and remote or whatever or is it completely off when it's unarmed?
Old 02-16-13, 11:53 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

its just the nature of alarms, especially 2 way cuz it has to send signal to the pager. ALL 2 way alarms drains battery if you don't drive the car.

I'm using something like this by moto master,

very small around the size of the carton of 6 eggs, but thinner. and can easily be tucked somewhere inside the engine bay, and you just run an extension cable to it.
Old 02-17-13, 01:06 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

That doesn't sound too safe considering the amount of heat under there. Any good place to put it?
Old 02-17-13, 01:07 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

But do u think leaving the compustar unlocked but locking my factory remote saves battery? Or does it still drain battery even when unarmed
Old 02-17-13, 01:39 AM
AVSRacing
Instructor

what do you mean amount of heat under there? yes unarmed will still drain your batt cuz the car still communicates with the remote

Quick Reply: Question about compustar draining battery!?!