GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 Weird Noise Coming from Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 07:23 PM
mgg2013
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS400 Weird Noise Coming from Steering Column

I have a 2000 GS 400 and it's run perfectly without any problems for years, however, recently, there has been a screeching noise which sounds like it's coming from behind the steering wheel, but after listening a little closer it may be coming from around the break pedal area. At first it was just when I started the car and it was cold outside, but now it's happening every 2 minutes. I'm unsure if it's related to an ABS brake issue or something else. At any rate, I attached a 10sec. clip of the noise...if anyone has had this before or knows what it is, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Noise.zip (76.9 KB, 273 views)
Old 02-12-13, 05:54 AM
enterconne
Driver

Hmm, I had a noise that came from the steering column but it only happened when I started or turned the vehicle off. I had to grease the tilt steering mechanism.
Old 02-12-13, 11:43 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgg2013
I have a 2000 GS 400 and it's run perfectly without any problems for years, however, recently, there has been a screeching noise which sounds like it's coming from behind the steering wheel, but after listening a little closer it may be coming from around the break pedal area. At first it was just when I started the car and it was cold outside, but now it's happening every 2 minutes. I'm unsure if it's related to an ABS brake issue or something else. At any rate, I attached a 10sec. clip of the noise...if anyone has had this before or knows what it is, any help would be greatly appreciated.
The noise, did it make the noise during the steering turn to the left/right, or while the steering wheel was at rest? If you just turn to the to on position, but not starting the car, do you still getting this noise? I had my BMC/Booster failur last year, but it was not this type of noise, it was the beep sound came on and the VCS, and brake light was also on. Have you let the car run and listen under the hood? This is may be a dump question, but did you check the PS/brake fluid ? I am not an expert, just try to eliminate the root cause. Pls update us. Good luck.
Old 02-18-13, 01:01 PM
mgg2013
Driver School Candidate

I checked the PS and brake fluid and both are good. I've been able to figure out the noise happens after I fully press on the brake pedal and then 2 seconds after the noise happens. I also had the beeping sound and the VCS and brake light come one a few times but that hasn't happened in a while. How much did it cost to have the BMC/Booster replaced.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 02-18-13, 01:37 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

I checked the PS and brake fluid and both are good. I've been able to figure out the noise happens after I fully press on the brake pedal and then 2 seconds after the noise happens. I also had the beeping sound and the VCS and brake light come one a few times but that hasn't happened in a while. How much did it cost to have the BMC/Booster replaced.

I bought mine from junkyard online. I was paying around $475 included the shipping. New one with the BMC/Booster will run you around $1980 from the dealer, or from Sewellpart for $2065. You can just replace the BMC without the booster, but these two parts depends on each other. Once goes out, the other most likely on its way out too. So it is best to replace as a whole units. It is very easy to replace. I can help you out if you decide to do it yourself. After I replaced mine, I drove it to the dealer to have it bleed. Since the it is an ABS system. There is a procedure in this forum tell you how to bleed the abs, but I don't want to take any chance to blown out the seals inside the BMC or Booster.
Old 02-18-13, 02:27 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Check out this use part finder website. I found my MBC from them.

http://car-part.com/
Old 04-27-20, 02:56 PM
HazosView
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever figure out what the noise was coming from? I've had this for a while. Granted this is like a 7 year old post, just using the forum search option lol.
Old 04-29-20, 12:28 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HazosView
Did you ever figure out what the noise was coming from? I've had this for a while. Granted this is like a 7 year old post, just using the forum search option lol.
I had a similar issue. It turns out it was the motor mounts.
Old 05-04-20, 05:56 AM
mgg2013
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I had the ABS Pump Brake Booster Module (Brake Master Cylinder) replaced. That took care of the problem...just an expensive fix ($600-$800 for the part + labor).
Old 01-24-21, 08:44 PM
214mario
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I had the ABS Pump Brake Booster Module (Brake Master Cylinder) replaced. That took care of the problem...just an expensive fix ($600-$800 for the part + labor).
Good car overall?