GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New guy. Trans. Fluid question. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 07:54 PM
85Krtagena
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy. Trans. Fluid question. Please help!

Hello to all. I just bought a 98 gs4 with 113k miles. (will post pics later) The previous owner changed the trans. Fluid with some other brand instead of Toyota type IV fluid. The car shifts fine. However, I know that only Toyota type IV fluid should be in there. I used to own a 96 ls400 and I know from the LS forum that only 2 quarts of fluid have to be pour into the trans. After a drain and fill. So here is my question:

How many quarts of Toyota type IV fluid should I put in the transmission of my 98 gs400 after a drain and fill? 2 quarts? 3 quarts?

Thanks
Old 02-13-13, 08:54 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Till its on the full mark when the car is hot. By the way, you need to drain through the cooling line to get rid of the old tranny fluid and to do it right you need aroun 10 quarts.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...ransflush.html

Last edited by sam12345; 02-13-13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-13-13, 09:39 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drain and fill is only 2 quarts
Old 02-14-13, 12:50 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

it's about 2, but this depends on how much you got out during the drain.

Put in about 1.75 bottles, then properly measure on the dipstick following the instructions from the manual (hot and engine on after shifting through the gears). 2nd time around, you'll get a closer number.

As you notice, 1) the full amount is around 10qts,
2) the fluid level goes up and down depending on temp.
if you're off by a bit, don't panic the car isn't going to blow up.

You don't need to go through the trouble of doing a 10qt flush if the car is otherwise operating properly. If you are paranoid, just do a D/F every oil change until you get through a case of fluid.
Old 02-14-13, 05:06 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

How are you guys only getting two??? Maybe it's because I have a 300, but I get a constant 3 qts. I drive my car up on the ramps so more can drain out. To OP, this is the best way to do it without using the full mark. I never used that. Get you two identical clear jugs....ex. milk jugs. Drain the fluid, then transfer the old fluid that just drained out and pour it into one of the jugs. Make sure that you don't spill any of it. Once you have the old fluid measure in one jug, then pour the new fluid into the other clear jug and STOP when it measured in the same exact spot as the old fluid. This way you are putting in EXACTLY what came out. I have been doing this for years with all of my cars and I won't do it any other way.
Old 02-14-13, 12:44 PM
raytseng
Instructor

The fluid change in the manual says 1.8 or 1.9 if I recall; so if you're getting 3qts you're the special one.

If can be you are overfull by 1quart for the "years you've been doing this this way" if you never verified with the dipstick.
If the dipstick is good, then maybe you've got a superior draining technique, or just something funky with your pan that allows the extra quart to flow out.

Either way, If car is working properly, I don't think it's a huge deal.
Old 02-14-13, 01:02 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

2.5 quarts...drain and refill. Same tranny for the 300 and the 400/430
Old 02-14-13, 07:50 PM
85Krtagena
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So wait, which one is it?

1.75 quarts?
2 quarts?
2.5 quarts?
Old 02-14-13, 08:13 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by 85Krtagena

1.75 quarts?
2 quarts?
2.5 quarts?
I just checked. Manual says Drain and refill takes 2.0 quarts (p232 people), but it depends how much you drained out. That's why I said start at 1.75 and then check the dipstick.

Once you do the procedure once, you'll have a better idea how much your particular drain technique drains out, and how much you have to refill.

Service manual also says a similar thing. You're supposed to get the fluid somewhere in Cold Range. But then do a final adjustment with a Hot Measurement.

This means with engine running at operating temp (go for a drive), and then shift through the gears back to park, then check that the fluid is in the Hot Range

Last edited by raytseng; 02-14-13 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-15-13, 04:42 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by raytseng
The fluid change in the manual says 1.8 or 1.9 if I recall; so if you're getting 3qts you're the special one.

If can be you are overfull by 1quart for the "years you've been doing this this way" if you never verified with the dipstick.
If the dipstick is good, then maybe you've got a superior draining technique, or just something funky with your pan that allows the extra quart to flow out.

Either way, If car is working properly, I don't think it's a huge deal.
I don't care what the manual says lol. The manual states to change your oil every 3750 miles. Who follows that lol?? Yep, I get a constant 3qts every time I do this. I have the old school yellow iron ramps that has a steep 45 degree angle. No luck or I'm special lol...it's just common knowledge that you will be able to drain more with your car being on a steep incline vs. draining the car level or slightly raised. That would suck only being able to get 1.75 or 2 qts out like some of you are stating.

I will check my stick once I get off today to see where it's at. No problems with my tranny at all.
Old 02-15-13, 04:44 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by 85Krtagena

1.75 quarts?
2 quarts?
2.5 quarts?
Dude, it's not that serious or difficult. Just buy 3 qts, and take back the extra qt if you don't use it. End of discussion.
Old 02-15-13, 07:13 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
How are you guys only getting two??? Maybe it's because I have a 300, but I get a constant 3 qts. I drive my car up on the ramps so more can drain out. To OP, this is the best way to do it without using the full mark. I never used that. Get you two identical clear jugs....ex. milk jugs. Drain the fluid, then transfer the old fluid that just drained out and pour it into one of the jugs. Make sure that you don't spill any of it. Once you have the old fluid measure in one jug, then pour the new fluid into the other clear jug and STOP when it measured in the same exact spot as the old fluid. This way you are putting in EXACTLY what came out. I have been doing this for years with all of my cars and I won't do it any other way.
X2
Except instead of ramps I jack it up on the drivers side and drain. I measure what comes out and replace with Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. About 3 quarts.
Old 02-15-13, 08:25 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by FrankT
X2
Except instead of ramps I jack it up on the drivers side and drain. I measure what comes out and replace with Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. About 3 quarts.
This is another way also. I knew that I couldn't be the only one who was getting 3 qts. Those iron ramps are a beast! I've had those things since I was 18 and now I'm 31. I've have people offer to buy them because they are waaaay better than the cheap composite/plastic ramps they sell now that slides everywhere.

I think the way we do it is by far the easiest way to do this job.
Old 02-15-13, 11:14 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
I don't care what the manual says lol. .
Take a chill pill dude. I'm not going to be the maintenance police and come to your house to nag at you that you're doing it wrong. Do whatever you want, I even said your car is going to be fine and isn't going to be that precise..

My only issue is that if you're giving advice to an OP who is a n00b that has a question, you should give the most correct advice possible to what he's going to do. Which is why the manual and the service procedures matters. Don't make it seem like your opinion somehow counts more than the manual.
That's like saying i don't care what scientists say, the earth is flat. And then since there are 2 sides to the argument, both sides has an equal 50% chance to be right

As far as the "easiest" way to perform a fluid exchange, I will 1-up you in that I use a fluid extractor and don't even need to set up the ramps or need to unbolt a plug.

Last edited by raytseng; 02-15-13 at 05:35 PM.