GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Project: iPad Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 09:08 AM
thanhvu
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project: iPad Installation

Hi guy, so I am in the process of trying to build a custom iPad dash. I have the new iPad and the iPad Mini already and this one was just sitting there collecting dust so I decided to try to find a way to integrate it into the 2GS. Why put such a big iPad when is it more practical to put in the iPad Mini? Because bigger is better(no homo) and I want to

The dash is to small for placing it horizontal but vertical is no problem, it's just when you play videos, it just doesn't look right so horizontal is the way to go.

Customized my iPad for for easy use
Name:  Photo2-28-13104547PM_zpsb4c249cf.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  349.0 KB

Heres a quick cut off of how the iPad will sit. It is about 1 inch out so when I slide the iPad out my controls are still there.

Will fiberglass the back mold first then continue with the front. It is my first time fiberglassing so it might take a few tries.

I will try to update as I go but I have 2 young kids and the only time I can work on it is at night when they sleep.
Old 03-01-13, 10:31 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I actually have a mini, but i would be too distracted playing with it in the car..Go for it!

Last edited by DosyBoy; 03-01-13 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-01-13, 10:44 AM
thanhvu
Pit Crew

I've seen that, I've also seen a bunch of iPads installed in cars. I haven't seen a iPad installed in the 2GS yet
Old 03-01-13, 10:46 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting i was thinking about this the other day. update us with pics when you get more done.

and, Flocko that is a clean install they did on that video. i dig it. Is there some type of harness that plugs into to convert your stereo to a WiFi signal?
Old 03-01-13, 01:45 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

this thread may make me keep my ipad i never use anymore

ever heard of fishman? very well known into some great audio and crazy installs

(watch this whole thing its well worth it)

you might be interested in this also

Old 03-01-13, 01:56 PM
thanhvu
Pit Crew

Sakataj - The 2nd video is what was my inspiration. I didn't want to hack into anything and keep my existing unit since I already had the Vais SLI installed.
Old 03-02-13, 07:34 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by thanhvu

Heres a quick cut off of how the iPad will sit. It is about 1 inch out so when I slide the iPad out my controls are still there.

Will fiberglass the back mold first then continue with the front. It is my first time fiberglassing so it might take a few tries.

I will try to update as I go but I have 2 young kids and the only time I can work on it is at night when they sleep.

Cool project, I'm currently doing something similar in my bagged minitruck but with an android nexus 7.

You mention making a rear mold then a front mold, I have some pics that may give some ideas. I made a mold to hold the unit all in one shot.
Old 03-02-13, 07:45 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Here is what I am replacing, I made this for the truck about 10 years ago a 7" lcd and dvd deck.. Been great but technology is pretty outdated.

The completed new piece will look almost identical but just have more functionality..

Old 03-02-13, 07:52 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

So here is what a stock Ford Ranger bezel looks like:

So first I taped up the Nexus with two layers, real tight and nicley overlapped to prevent any resin oozing in.

This pic shows how I began the mold, unit face down, and stretch the mat over it nice and tight and concentrate on the corners. (This is a test pic, I did not pour it on the cardboard you won't be able to separate it, I use a flat peice of wood taped up to pour on, but it was setup just like this pic.) One thin coat making sure not to bunch up the corners, let it cure, then added a thicker second mat/coat.

Old 03-02-13, 07:55 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

So here is what it looked like once cured and separated from the wood.

So trim it up a little bit.

Old 03-02-13, 08:00 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

And here is how it will sorta sit, the edges give you something to mold to the car bezel with and hold it. Then a little smoothing and cleanup on the edges where the nexus frame meets the fiberglass, and it will be a 'pod' to put the tablet in without having to mess with molding the screen of the tablet to the car..

A couple spots of silicone on the back will hold the tablet into the pod.

This is where I am currently at, but will be wrapping this up soon.. I hope this may help give a little motivation or different way of looking at how to accomplish this.

I've seen a few tablet installs with a frame and the tablet set in behind it, but I wanted a perfect fit.

GOOD LUCK, Nice Project, love to see how you go about glassing it in!

Last edited by 99 GS3; 03-02-13 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-02-13, 10:21 AM
Longchampe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do an android tablet you can use
Old 03-02-13, 03:50 PM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks like a cool project to do, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Knowing apple products, they always crash and the gauge apps don't seem too responsive. Also, What happens if you want to put a newer iPad? Having to build a new mold just seems really time consuming.
Old 03-02-13, 10:19 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by armanitran
This looks like a cool project to do, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Knowing apple products, they always crash and the gauge apps don't seem too responsive. Also, What happens if you want to put a newer iPad? Having to build a new mold just seems really time consuming.
I wouldn't think he would be changing ipads that often just cause the next generation comes out doesn't mean he needs it. Apple products are alright.
Old 03-02-13, 11:22 PM
thanhvu
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
And here is how it will sorta sit, the edges give you something to mold to the car bezel with and hold it. Then a little smoothing and cleanup on the edges where the nexus frame meets the fiberglass, and it will be a 'pod' to put the tablet in without having to mess with molding the screen of the tablet to the car..

A couple spots of silicone on the back will hold the tablet into the pod.

This is where I am currently at, but will be wrapping this up soon.. I hope this may help give a little motivation or different way of looking at how to accomplish this.

I've seen a few tablet installs with a frame and the tablet set in behind it, but I wanted a perfect fit.

GOOD LUCK, Nice Project, love to see how you go about glassing it in!

Awesome job man. thats a clean job!

Originally Posted by sc300jz
I wouldn't think he would be changing ipads that often just cause the next generation comes out doesn't mean he needs it. Apple products are alright.

yup, I'm using a 1st gen iPad for this project, all i need it is for music and videos and maybe angry birds in traffic

Last edited by thanhvu; 03-02-13 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Project: iPad Installation