GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

LS400 brake conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 07:45 PM
themccoy14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 brake conversion help

I realize that I am inviting the ever present "search" flaming but I've been looking for a while now and have not found any clear answers. I plan on doing the LS400 4 piston front brake conversion next as well as new drilled/slotted rotors for the front and rear. Some threads I've found say that you can reuse your factory rotors when doing the caliper swap and others have purchased LS rotors for the fronts. Are they the same size? Is one more desirable than the other? This is the only thing keeping me from ordering my parts... Thanks!
Ben
Old 03-03-13, 08:17 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by themccoy14
I realize that I am inviting the ever present "search" flaming but I've been looking for a while now and have not found any clear answers. I plan on doing the LS400 4 piston front brake conversion next as well as new drilled/slotted rotors for the front and rear. Some threads I've found say that you can reuse your factory rotors when doing the caliper swap and others have purchased LS rotors for the fronts. Are they the same size? Is one more desirable than the other? This is the only thing keeping me from ordering my parts... Thanks!
Ben
can you please show me the threads you read where people said they can reuse their OEM calipers instead of the LS400's rotors? i dont recall anyone saying that, i recall people asking if they could but never seen anyone using them.Just use the LS400 rotors as they are bigger/better for this setup

also if you read other threads like you claim you did.....post this ? in them and "bump" the old thread instead of making a new one PLEASE
Old 03-03-13, 11:13 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Ben
Old 03-04-13, 05:33 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

You have to use LS rotors!!!!!!!!! Please lock thread..................
Old 03-04-13, 07:27 PM
themccoy14
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-calipers.html One of the last posts in this thread states "you can reuse your stock rotors". Thanks for the quick response as I needed help with this. Help is what I was after and I got it. Feel free to delete this thread as I'm sure that the rest of it's life will be doomed to others proposing further how its creation was not needed.
Old 03-04-13, 07:52 PM
themccoy14
Driver

I would love the see the write up on the swap if someone could post the link. The 24 pages of "LS brakes do fit the 2GS!" is more of a docket of misery if you're already set on doing the more cost effective LS swap...
Old 03-04-13, 07:53 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Feel free to delete this thread as I'm sure that the rest of it's life will be doomed to others proposing further how its creation was not needed.
LOL

Old 03-04-13, 07:59 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the 24 pages of "ls brakes do fit the 2gs!" is more of a docket of misery
lol..................
Old 03-04-13, 08:00 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Holy mother of god! Really? you searched? are you sure?? because I just searched "LS400" in the 2GS section and oh look at what showed up without even 30 secs of looking.

LS400 brakes do fit 2nd Gen GS!!

For God sakes its even sticky in the Suspension and Brake section

Old 03-04-13, 08:46 PM
themccoy14
Driver

OK so I found on page 20 of the "LS brakes do fit 2GS!" where it states that you have to use the LS brake rotors... My humblest apologies. I will now lie in wait for the next person to ask whether or not you have to use LS rotors when doing the conversion... Maybe there will be a sub-24 page sticky by the time this poor soul encounters this particular query so that I don't have to lay down the law of SEARCH.
THIS POST:
Overkill? Perhaps
Unwarranted? Nope
I love my car and I eagerly scour this forum for inspiration. I wonder how many threads people haven't made because they knew they would be flamed for asking their question. How much better would this community of owners be if we allowed others, albeit with the occasional bit of gentle criticism, to ask the questions that they need to ask to get the answers they need to get to make their cars what they want them to be. I don't know if the only people that frequent this board are the ones that just can't wait to show people that they found answers first or that they've seen the answer to their question somewhere else in a nine year old post but let me say, as one who is completely engrossed in this product, one of the greatest brands in the world: this nonsensical approach to maintaining order within a car community is blatantly and undeniably abrasive and unwelcoming. I sound like a whiny, butthurt agoraphobic but I guess that's just what happens when a resource dedicated to the passionate pursuit of automotive perfection provides answers to people through the use of a 90/10 ratio of helpful advice/asinine commentary. I am genuinely impressed with what I have seen many of you do with your cars and many deserve more recognition than you have been given. I, at least for the time being, will be observing from a distance as I'm sure I won't gain much more than I've previously received. If any of you read this and think to yourselves, "This guy needs to quit whining..." then you probably don't have the capacity to grasp what I'm saying or at a bare minimum haven't seen what I've stated above plaguing this forum. If you just read the previous statement and thought, "No way! Not me!" then you have in fact just validated that very statement. Thanks again.
Old 03-04-13, 09:43 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well at least you took my comment maturely. Most people get all defensive and get panties in a bunch. But really... the answer was sticky'd in the brake section. I don't want to sound insulting but it couldn't have been easier to find. and I understand everyone is new at one point and everyone is different. I for one will search and research for hours before making a thread because I don't want to look like an *** (not to say I haven't in the past) but even if I get stoned/flamed for doing so I still consider it as constructive criticism and a lesson learned. So don't take it personal.
Old 03-05-13, 02:08 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

OK so I found on page 20 of the "LS brakes do fit 2GS!" where it states that you have to use the LS brake rotors... My humblest apologies. I will now lie in wait for the next person to ask whether or not you have to use LS rotors when doing the conversion... Maybe there will be a sub-24 page sticky by the time this poor soul encounters this particular query so that I don't have to lay down the law of SEARCH.
THIS POST:
Overkill? Perhaps
Unwarranted? Nope
I love my car and I eagerly scour this forum for inspiration. I wonder how many threads people haven't made because they knew they would be flamed for asking their question. How much better would this community of owners be if we allowed others, albeit with the occasional bit of gentle criticism, to ask the questions that they need to ask to get the answers they need to get to make their cars what they want them to be. I don't know if the only people that frequent this board are the ones that just can't wait to show people that they found answers first or that they've seen the answer to their question somewhere else in a nine year old post but let me say, as one who is completely engrossed in this product, one of the greatest brands in the world: this nonsensical approach to maintaining order within a car community is blatantly and undeniably abrasive and unwelcoming. I sound like a whiny, butthurt agoraphobic but I guess that's just what happens when a resource dedicated to the passionate pursuit of automotive perfection provides answers to people through the use of a 90/10 ratio of helpful advice/asinine commentary. I am genuinely impressed with what I have seen many of you do with your cars and many deserve more recognition than you have been given. I, at least for the time being, will be observing from a distance as I'm sure I won't gain much more than I've previously received. If any of you read this and think to yourselves, "This guy needs to quit whining..." then you probably don't have the capacity to grasp what I'm saying or at a bare minimum haven't seen what I've stated above plaguing this forum. If you just read the previous statement and thought, "No way! Not me!" then you have in fact just validated that very statement. Thanks again.
i will briefly sum up this.... if u found posts where people were talking about it, post in there INSTEAD of making a new thread. if you had bumped a old thread and asked in their i would have given you the answer immediately with no sarcasm behind it but the fact you claim you searched and saw threads discussing this then decided i dont need to help out the next person searching the same thread you saw and said im just gonna go make a new thread about it just adds to the clutter man. simplify things, post in the thread you were searching even if its a old dead thread.....better a rebump then a new thread IMHO

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
Well at least you took my comment maturely. Most people get all defensive and get panties in a bunch. But really... the answer was sticky'd in the brake section. I don't want to sound insulting but it couldn't have been easier to find. and I understand everyone is new at one point and everyone is different. I for one will search and research for hours before making a thread because I don't want to look like an *** (not to say I haven't in the past) but even if I get stoned/flamed for doing so I still consider it as constructive criticism and a lesson learned. So don't take it personal.
im the same way, as much as i harp on people for not searching i cant do this (nor do i wanna) so i search for endless amount of time to find stuff
Old 03-06-13, 10:12 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...nd-gen-gs.html
Old 03-07-13, 08:38 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In summary....SEARCH...then READ!!

Im pretty sure this OP got the message.

This thread is closed.