GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus phone...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-02, 06:11 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus phone...

My 98 GS400 has the factory phone option with the phone buttons on the steering wheel.

It didn't come with the phone though, does anyone know if I can use a different phone with the lexus setup?

it looks like the original phones were motorolas...

i wonder if there are conversion kits so that you can use your own phone.???
Old 12-19-02, 07:49 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Not anymore

it is an analog only setup. Poor planning on Lexus' part. If you happen to still have/want an analog phone...it is a motorola, AND the incoming phone call radio mute feature actually works. But otherwise you are SOL.
Old 12-19-02, 08:18 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LEXUS PHONE

Terry,
To the best of my knowledge, the phones that came with the car are uniquely configured to work in the Lexus. I saw a 1999 GS400 that I wanted to buy, and it had the original phone with it. I could have gotten it to work, but I found out that it would have been really expensive because the format was based on the old analog system. I tried to use the phone in the car I mentioned previously, and it was still operable, in that it connected to SPRINT Wireless (the carrier). They said that it would be better just to keep my current phone than to try to get this old phone system to work. The air time charge on this analog system would be horrible, and it is also very outdated.

Interestingly enough, Lexus offered a cell phone for the 2002 and 2003 GS qnd other Lexus cars, but I believe that is not available anymore. I called a local Lexus dealer, and they said that Lexus has bowed out of the factory hard-wired cell phone business. Personal cell phones are so much cheaper than factory phones, plus you can change as the prices and deals get cheaper and better. THEN HE SAID:

There IS another way to have a cell phone adaptable to an automobile..AND can be used outside the car. Here in California, there is a company called: Cell Port that has a unique way to connect ANY cellphone to any vehicle. Their system incorporates a series of "cradles" (or basically adapters that fit between their fixed system and your personal cell phone. Currently, they have cradles for any cellphone except the new Motorola V60, but that adapter is forthcoming before Christmas. I will look up the number and put it in my next post.

As an interesting footnote: Lexus has shied away from any more factory cell phone systems (although the current literature would have you believe otherwise). They found out that the old carrier...(I believe SPRINT in some cases), had poor, spotty service, and was not acceptable to Lexus executives, and thus, was dropped.

Some Lexus dealers here in Southern California use the Cell Port system because even though it is hard-wired in, the cradles give greater flexibility than being locked down to one kind of phone. Plus it allows for radio interruption like the factory version, as well as voice activation, phone calls routed through the car speakers, and hands-free operation, with microphones hidden near the sun visor..

It is not a cheap system. I believe that I was quoted a price of 1199.00 installed with 1 free cradle for your type of phone, and $45.00 for each additional cradle, in case someone else has a different type of phone. Lexus dealers here would LOVE to have you bring your car to THEM and have them sub-let to this local company. I am sure that a person could contact the company direct and eliminate the middle man. They wanted me to take a loaner, while they took your car, and installed the hardware and gave you a cradle for your phone. This is all handled through their finance office instead of service, so the store is definitely making some cash out of this deal.

Man, you REALLY gotta want a hard-wired phone system to pay that kind of money, but for some it is worth it. 20 to 60 bucks for a "hands-free" adapter and my existing phone sure seems cheaper...
NUFF SAID

Respectfully
GSEREP1

Last edited by gserep1; 01-17-03 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-19-02, 08:36 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

wow, i guess that puts it into perspective.

thanks for the info.

looks like i'll be opting for the TRD steering wheel...

i thought i could get it to work, but now it's of no use...
Old 12-20-02, 08:58 AM
Princeton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Nokia 5185 hard wired into my '99 GS300.

The phone sits in a cradle next to the tranny tunnel. The radio mutes when the phone rings, there is a microphone to speak into on the A pillar, and a speaker in the passenger footwell.

Cost - materials and labor was $250.

This can be done for any phone and any carrier.
Old 12-20-02, 09:26 AM
axel
Rookie

Check the phone manufacturers web site to see if they offer a handsfree kit for your phone. I got the handsfree kit for my Samsung phone on Ebay for $10! Installation at a good stereo shop was $75.

If you install any kind of cradle in your car, you might want to consider a Pro-Fit mounting bracket that mounts using existing holes and does not leave any marks when it is removed. You can see them at http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/ . I have used these in 4 different cars with excellent results.
Old 12-20-02, 10:05 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

$1400? WTF? I purchased the manufacturer (Motorola) made Pro-install kit (List $350, can be found much cheaper online) and paid to have it installed in my GS (a bit more then $100). It is a perfect clean install, mutes the radio and has a speaker, nice microphone out of the left a pillar by my head, and uses a stronger antenna built into the left A pillar. It too has a special cradle made for my phone (T720) that I can change if i purchase a different phone. I paid more for my install because the guy does excellent work and he has the contract for the lexus and BMW dealer's in NJ. $1400 is a rip off!