GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 09:33 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen

I actually got a new (to me) DD 2 weeks ago. Don't laugh, 20k mile 2015 Civic Si. I drive tons of miles and I needed good gas milage yet something fun enough to keep me awake .. and I didn't trust the new ones with turbo)
Si only came in manual right. If it's manual at least you'll be having a little fun.
Old 04-15-18, 07:22 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
Si only came in manual right. If it's manual at least you'll be having a little fun.
Yes, my first manual DD since 2001 Maxima. I have to admit, it is a lot of fun, more fun than a guy my age should be having... lol.
Old 04-15-18, 07:36 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Man, I recently bought my 16 yr old son the exact same car, color and all. I've fixed all the little things on the car to make it really nice one. He just got his full license about 2 weeks ago and has been driving without me. I keep telling him that any slightest thing that happens to this car and insurance will total it in a heart beat. I also said that he probably won't have the money to get anything else as nice if they do but if he can keep anything from happening to it he will make it through college with the car. I really like the car. I still wouldn't trade my LS for it though. I hope his never comes home like that.
I have the exact same car as well hurts to think the insurance company would total her out for a wreck. I hit a deer once but since it was just the front bumper and hood I guess they figured it was fixable (thankfully). I would do everything in my power to keep her but I realize sometimes it's not fixable.

That being said be patient and you can still find good examples. I ran into a guy at the bank last year who was selling his one-owner '99 GS400. It was his wife's daily driver and was 100% dealer serviced. It had 170,000 miles but was in mint condition. The interior leather even still looked new. We talked about our cars for about 30 minutes and he said the only reason he was selling was because he recently bought her a new Subaru.
Old 04-15-18, 09:16 AM
Kain52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spark plugs and some light bulbs. A lot to go, but most important that found oil in the cylinders when I was replacing spark plugs. So gonna change some «rubber» soon too
Old 04-15-18, 12:37 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin3344
I have the exact same car as well hurts to think the insurance company would total her out for a wreck. I hit a deer once but since it was just the front bumper and hood I guess they figured it was fixable (thankfully). I would do everything in my power to keep her but I realize sometimes it's not fixable.

That being said be patient and you can still find good examples. I ran into a guy at the bank last year who was selling his one-owner '99 GS400. It was his wife's daily driver and was 100% dealer serviced. It had 170,000 miles but was in mint condition. The interior leather even still looked new. We talked about our cars for about 30 minutes and he said the only reason he was selling was because he recently bought her a new Subaru.
For few minutes, I thought about getting a replacement for my daughter, then I got real. Until she realizes how good she's had it, and learns value of things, she's not getting anything to drive. The way things look, she may never get a car, not from me anyways. I'm still so p*ssed, I can't think straight. ( I have a dash cam on all my cars, it caught how she got hit, she's lucky she's alive)
Old 04-15-18, 04:23 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen
For few minutes, I thought about getting a replacement for my daughter, then I got real. Until she realizes how good she's had it, and learns value of things, she's not getting anything to drive. The way things look, she may never get a car, not from me anyways. I'm still so p*ssed, I can't think straight. ( I have a dash cam on all my cars, it caught how she got hit, she's lucky she's alive)
Sorry to hear about your Lexus but it is good your daughter is ok. The gs300 is a great safe vehicle. I know for me my parents never bought me a vehicle so I worked part-time as a bus boy during high school and was able to save $600 for a 87 Toyota Supra turbo. I had to put $400 worth of work into it right away with me doing the work myself to save as much as I can. I know it may sound silly to most but ever since then I much prefer to have my own stuff bought and paid for by me. It also thought me a valuable lesson in valve as if something happens to the vehicle, it was coming out of my pocket which did not have much to begin with back then. It also thought me of what a job is and how much you put into it is how much you get out of it as I been working since I was 15 and have had great opportunities that others could only would wish for in the work I do now.

I would also say with cell phones and other technology it has become a major distraction for most people on the road and its not only how you drive but the person that is right next to you that you have to worry about.
Old 04-17-18, 10:09 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I had my seats reconditioned today. Had a guy come to my house and clean them up. Car has 170k miles and they needed a refresh. I can say now that the car belongs in the dealer showroom it's so clean. It's amazing how great these cars hold up over the years. I'll post pictures when I get home. Had the fiancé take some quick shots when she ran home on her lunch break.
Old 04-20-18, 05:25 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fms01
unbolted and removed the stock mufflers from my GS400 to test out what a muffler delete would be like to live with everyday....so far...awesome.
Also discovered the header tank on my radiator has a hairline crack and leaks...new one on order now. Thank god this has happened during winter here in Arizona and not summer.
I need to check mine. The heat just went out on my GS4 and I saw the temp creep up to 3/4ths the other day. 🤔
Old 04-20-18, 05:36 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jhnyct
I replaced the dry rotted surrounds on my rear door ML speakers. The job was very easy, it just took several hours for curing between steps. I used a kit from https://www.simplyspeakers.com/. The subwoofer is next.
How did the sound quality improve after the change?
Old 04-21-18, 11:08 AM
GokaiRed
Driver School Candidate

Spent some time after work yesterday buttoning up my Aristo swap a bit more. Repaired the fan switch connector, messed with the heater core hoses a bit (had a slight leak from the one next to the rear turbo...of course it would be that one)...half *** set up my 350z PS reservoir so I can drive the car into the shop without blowing a disc. Finally got around to getting the exhaust system up only to find it won't align with the flange on the CX Racing downpipe I've got...dammit.

Alright fine...lowered the car, so I can actually bleed this thing (haven't legit done it since getting the car started) gets close to temp...idle gets rough and the car dies...double dammit

Now I just gotta figure out why my exhaust system hates me and also why this thing won't stay running after it warms up unless I'm giving it gas (starts up/idles just fine cold) but I've got my sons bday party after work so it'll all have to wait until Monday I suppose.

...also this is my first post here, long time lurker...

Hi.
Old 04-21-18, 06:15 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Riksgs808
Today I tined the windshield of my gs with clear ceramic tint. It has a little bit of a blue tint to it. Keeps out heat and UV rays.

What kind of tint !? (brand) PICS please. Nice mod... LOVE IT!
Old 04-22-18, 07:51 AM
AgedGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Moorelow
not trying to sound like an idiot or anything but did you have front end damage ? My driver side hood sits the same way and its bothering me so I always wondered if my car was hit. Just got mine 3 weeks ago.
For some reason, it has taken me this long to see your question, sorry. No, my hood was popped in that picture. no front end damage that I am aware of on mine.
Old 04-22-18, 12:06 PM
BigTurtle
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i found 01-05 taillights at the junkyard, all for 40$
Old 04-23-18, 08:05 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AirRideFan
What kind of tint !? (brand) PICS please. Nice mod... LOVE IT!
What post number are you looking at? I want to see lol.
Old 04-23-18, 03:12 PM
KeatonGS3
Driver School Candidate

Lowered it on some Tanabe Df210's.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?