GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 07:14 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DimegirlTX
I am changing my water pump and timing belt and my mechanic called and said I got the wrong water pump so I went right away and got another one. I got a call today and found out that one would not line up either? So frustrating I do not know why odd stuff like this always happens to me.
Just did a tb/wp. The (actual) water pump body install is... tricky. You're balancing a lot of things, most of which is getting it to all line up, and that the bypass pipe fits properly... the FSM is specific about lubing the o-ring with water/dish-soap. And you have to wiggle the pump past a lot of other hard objects in the way. Once the pipe is inserted (and the o-ring seated?), and you start torque-ing the pump to the block, it should all line up.

If you've tried multiple known-good water pumps, the issue might not be the water pumps...
Old 05-04-19, 05:24 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

Installed a Megan 32mm front SB. Super easy bolt in mod. Attaches exactly as OEM. Noticed a need for this the other day going 80mph down the freeway and having someone cut over almost into the side of me. The amount of body role was unacceptable and unsafe trying to recover from the swerve I had to do. I took the car out again and gave the same kinds of jerking motions to see if there was an improvement and I have to say, it is a substantially safer feeling ride for corners now. Especially emergency maneuvers. Plus it compliments the coilovers

Old 05-04-19, 09:17 PM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 93 Likes on 52 Posts

Went down to Bellingham to install some new tires, the old ones that were on it when I bought the car were practically bald. Now after I put on the new tires there's a bunch of rubbing / clunking whenever i hit a pothole or turning left/right.

I've narrowed it down to the car being too low, so jacked it up thinking I could adjust the coilovers really quick...WRONG. I don't have any spanner wrenches and the column is pretty rusted.

Anyone in the area happen to have a some spanner wrenches I could borrow for the day?
Old 05-05-19, 11:20 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Installed a Megan 32mm front SB. Super easy bolt in mod. Attaches exactly as OEM. Noticed a need for this the other day going 80mph down the freeway and having someone cut over almost into the side of me. The amount of body role was unacceptable and unsafe trying to recover from the swerve I had to do. I took the car out again and gave the same kinds of jerking motions to see if there was an improvement and I have to say, it is a substantially safer feeling ride for corners now. Especially emergency maneuvers. Plus it compliments the coilovers

Nice job TrueGS30. I also noticed a difference once i first did the 4 poly sway bar bushings but once I switched the whole front sway bar over to the same one you have, it made even more of a nice difference. Do you plan on running a rear Megan Racing sway bar also?
The following users liked this post:
SynDragon (05-08-19)
Old 05-06-19, 06:33 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Originally Posted by ph0bolus
Went down to Bellingham to install some new tires, the old ones that were on it when I bought the car were practically bald. Now after I put on the new tires there's a bunch of rubbing / clunking whenever i hit a pothole or turning left/right.

I've narrowed it down to the car being too low, so jacked it up thinking I could adjust the coilovers really quick...WRONG. I don't have any spanner wrenches and the column is pretty rusted.

Anyone in the area happen to have a some spanner wrenches I could borrow for the day?
What brand are your coilovers? Might give them a call, or someone who sells them and see if you can locate just the wrenches. If not, you may have to use channel-locks.
Old 05-06-19, 06:40 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

I have honestly no idea, they were on it when I bought the car. By the looks of it they've been on for a while and the rings are seized. They're teal if that helps any, I'll have to go home and check the damper thing on the engine bay to see if theres a logo or something anywhere.

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
What brand are your coilovers? Might give them a call, or someone who sells them and see if you can locate just the wrenches. If not, you may have to use channel-locks.
Old 05-06-19, 06:50 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Originally Posted by shwalker07
Nice job TrueGS30. I also noticed a difference once i first did the 4 poly sway bar bushings but once I switched the whole front sway bar over to the same one you have, it made even more of a nice difference. Do you plan on running a rear Megan Racing sway bar also?
Maybe just the poly bushings for the rear. And even that I haven't decided yet. I've researched and upgraded bars before on many vehicles. Typically a rwd needs a front bar upgrade to counter over-steer and a fwd needs a rear bar to counter under-steer. But most road cars are designed to under-steer for safety reasons. My reason was strictly the body role, and you have to have a feel for your car and get an idea for what it needs. Most people upgrade both but may in fact be unnecessarily making their ride harsh for no reason. Right now my car feels great and the rear doesn't feel unstable. I don't think I should throw money at the rear and think there will be an improvement. Besides, my car possibly had/has poly bushings already. The fronts that came off with the bar were in perfect shape and definitely not rubber. Felt like most poly I've had. I should have checked the rear. Will do soon.

I noticed my pass side steering rack bushing is bulging out, so I have this kit on the way. Will check when I do this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Lexus-...53.m2749.l2649
Old 05-06-19, 06:55 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

I have honestly no idea, they were on it when I bought the car. By the looks of it they've been on for a while and the rings are seized. They're teal if that helps any, I'll have to go home and check the damper thing on the engine bay to see if theres a logo or something anywhere.
Teal is probably Megan racing
The following users liked this post:
ph0bolus (05-07-19)
Old 05-07-19, 10:33 AM
toneekay
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Recently picked up these wheels... Testing fitting for now since I need new tires and figure out my suspension setup.

What did you do to your GS today?-qjlvqce.jpg

What did you do to your GS today?-z7r3nja.jpg
Old 05-07-19, 02:48 PM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toneekay
Recently picked up these wheels... Testing fitting for now since I need new tires and figure out my suspension setup.
Are those from the 4th gen? That front shot makes it look like the is300 sport design lol

I loved the wheels on my NGP 4th gen, would like to see what it'd look like on a black 2nd gen.

Old 05-07-19, 03:20 PM
toneekay
Driver

Are those from the 4th gen? That front shot makes it look like the is300 sport design lol

I loved the wheels on my NGP 4th gen, would like to see what it'd look like on a black 2nd gen.
Yessir! It's funny because I picked up the 4GS wheels to put on my 2GS, and also had 3IS fsport wheels I picked up for my 1IS. Hehehe

Love the look of the newer F-Sport wheels on our older gens.
Old 05-07-19, 03:28 PM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Yessir! It's funny because I picked up the 4GS wheels to put on my 2GS, and also had 3IS fsport wheels I picked up for my 1IS. Hehehe

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I'm tempted to do it. Don't like the look of the wheels that came with my car.
Old 05-07-19, 03:36 PM
toneekay
Driver

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I'm tempted to do it. Don't like the look of the wheels that came with my car.
Yeah I have a base model 4GS, and was tempted to throw those stock 18's on my 2GS, but I figured... Hey let's try to find the 19's F-Sport, and ended up scoring a good deal on these.
Old 05-08-19, 05:56 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Yea, just watch out, when you get the bill for the 19" tires...
Old 05-08-19, 06:30 PM
SynDragon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable the telescoping tilt on GS400?

So I read you can CBEST this - which is hard to do or needs a dealer. Or just unplug some wire that controls the telescoping steering wheel auto function.

I read its at 6 oclock on the ignition , but that doesn't seem easy to unplug (you can see i busted a small piece of plastic off here) anyone ever do it or know this is the right one (which one ? the right hand side does nothing, so bottom or left are only ones left.

Which one is it this long white one? How the hell do you unplug it?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?