GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 09:03 PM
Ellis4
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4

At WekFest.
Beautiful car!! IMO you have brought the wheels, fender gap and all spacing to perfection. Low, little to no camber and from what I see a consistent space... great job.

not saying there is anything wrong with camber it’s just not my style but I respect it.
The following users liked this post:
SoCalSC4 (01-19-20)
Old 01-18-20, 06:43 AM
Delp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm trying to figure out if I can swap to electric aristo wing mirrors.. Of course being in the U.K rhd, would it be a straight swap and finding a power feed.. NB I did already post a thread 😁
Old 01-21-20, 12:45 AM
TimberJon
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by insyder
Have you found a source for this? I'd like to remove the stock third brake light due to rattle from audio system.
no source. I DIY’d one for my old ‘92 maxima way back, but I had to use Xmas lights in a U channel. Now with LED strips, it should be much easier to wire it up. Have done a lot with LED’s on non-auto projects from this place, https://www.superbrightleds.com/

For my deck, I put a ton of adhesive-backed closed-cell foam strip all over every contact point on the rear deck and it doesn’t move. I also have my 12” box braced against the bottom of the deck with an expansion-bolt-foot stay so it shakes the car harder/tighter. No rattle. If I ever pull it open I’ll redo it all (probably) and take a pic.
Old 01-21-20, 06:30 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by TimberJon
no source. I DIY’d one for my old ‘92 maxima way back, but I had to use Xmas lights in a U channel. Now with LED strips, it should be much easier to wire it up. Have done a lot with LED’s on non-auto projects from this place, https://www.superbrightleds.com/

For my deck, I put a ton of adhesive-backed closed-cell foam strip all over every contact point on the rear deck and it doesn’t move. I also have my 12” box braced against the bottom of the deck with an expansion-bolt-foot stay so it shakes the car harder/tighter. No rattle. If I ever pull it open I’ll redo it all (probably) and take a pic.
Can you please post some pictures of your sub setup? I'm in the middle of building a box thats attached to my rear deck
Old 01-22-20, 01:10 AM
TimberJon
Rookie

Originally Posted by DimegirlTX
I wanted to let you know that the NGK spark plugs are now being knocked off and sold on Amazon and Ebay. The box and almost every detail is the same. I now only buy parts at Rock Auto or an actual store that sells online. I just wanted to let it be known because I notice that NGK products are being used more often then in the past. One person that recieved a knock off spark plug recieved one that fits a Honda. He notified NGK corporation and they told him what codes to look out for and they have recieved other calls about it.
niiicee. I thought this engine needed those “dual-ground” plugs? I always felt that ‘spark is spark’ but am I missing out?
Old 01-22-20, 01:18 AM
TimberJon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
Can you please post some pictures of your sub setup? I'm in the middle of building a box thats attached to my rear deck
fosho. Willdo in the AM. My issue was with my sealed wedge flying backward as I drive and yanking its cables out. I didn’t want to strap or bolt it down. So my idea of the expansion bolt was born. It both holds the box down (without any drilling) and amplifies its power through the rear deck and body. Not an expert... but on some reverb tracks the whole car hums so nice my that neck tingles. Can’t wait for the 2x W7 upgrade O_o
talking to the boys about a ‘Dual Motor’ badge for a little PR play =P
captainva (01-22-20)
Old 01-22-20, 01:31 AM
TimberJon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Delp
Well I'm trying to figure out if I can swap to electric aristo wing mirrors.. Of course being in the U.K rhd, would it be a straight swap and finding a power feed.. NB I did already post a thread 😁
FYI, I’m chasing the Dream for auto-folding power and heated mirrors for my 2GS. If I get anywhere with this project I’ll post pics, how-to’s and parts, etc, everything. The mounts might end up being custom injection molded or 3DP. Thank urbanworkshop.net for giving me a space to play.
Old 01-22-20, 03:01 AM
Crispins
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

fosho. Willdo in the AM. My issue was with my sealed wedge flying backward as I drive and yanking its cables out. I didn’t want to strap or bolt it down. So my idea of the expansion bolt was born. It both holds the box down (without any drilling) and amplifies its power through the rear deck and body. Not an expert... but on some reverb tracks the whole car hums so nice my that neck tingles. Can’t wait for the 2x W7 upgrade O_o
talking to the boys about a ‘Dual Motor’ badge for a little PR play =P

I am also interested in seeing your setup.

I have way too much rattles.
Old 01-22-20, 07:13 AM
captainva
Instructor

FYI, I’m chasing the Dream for auto-folding power and heated mirrors for my 2GS. If I get anywhere with this project I’ll post pics, how-to’s and parts, etc, everything. The mounts might end up being custom injection molded or 3DP. Thank urbanworkshop.net for giving me a space to play.
The US mirrors are heated and dimming and will snap right into the JDM folding and tilting module inside the mirror housing. The inside of the mirror assembly in the US changed post refresh so look for an older set of US mirrors if you want to use the JDM guts in a US mirror thats the right color.
Old 01-22-20, 02:11 PM
TimberJon
Rookie

here you go.

Home Depot I think? Two feet, two nuts and a straight coupler. 1/4-20? I dunno. Easy to pair up in-store.
Old 01-22-20, 02:16 PM
TimberJon
Rookie

The US mirrors are heated and dimming and will snap right into the JDM folding and tilting module inside the mirror housing. The inside of the mirror assembly in the US changed post refresh so look for an older set of US mirrors if you want to use the JDM guts in a US mirror thats the right color.
waitaminute, that was optional on the 2GS line? Was there any power folding action on anything older?
Old 01-22-20, 02:35 PM
Delp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iToaster
I finished installing power folding mirrors today. Took a set of Aristo mirrors and swapped the power folding frame over while reusing the stock US parts to retain the memory and electrochromic functions. I replaced the factory door computers with "Taiwan-spec" ones (for the folding support) and ran two wires to each connector where I inserted the folding motor's pins. The stock body computer will tell the door ECUs to fold the mirrors when pin 7 is grounded, so I hooked that up through a factory switch and magically everything worked.

New door ECU:

Folded mirror:

Factory switch:
Were did you get the Taiwan door computers from my friend..
tn96dc (01-22-20)
Old 01-23-20, 07:51 AM
captainva
Instructor

waitaminute, that was optional on the 2GS line? Was there any power folding action on anything older?
All US 2GS from my understanding have both heated and dimmed mirrors. Folding mirrors were never an option in the US but in Taiwan (also LHD) they were so you can get parts from there and retain the best of both worlds. Its expensive to do so however

Last edited by captainva; 01-23-20 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-23-20, 07:52 AM
captainva
Instructor

here you go.

Home Depot I think? Two feet, two nuts and a straight coupler. 1/4-20? I dunno. Easy to pair up in-store.
Thats smart. I'm trying to hang my sub completely from the rear deck and I have the Toms rear STB so my trunk space is limited. I'm trying to do something similar to what RMMGS4 did long ago.

Last edited by captainva; 01-23-20 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-23-20, 10:44 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Did the transmission flush thing using a small electric pump to pull the new fluid from a container. Took all of 10 minutes to replace 12 quarts of old fluid.

Nice. Like knowing you don’t have any more skid marks in your underwear.
LexLova (01-24-20)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?