GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-22, 04:38 PM
firelizard

Received 439 Likes on 348 Posts

That oughta last you a while
The following 2 users liked this post by firelizard:
QLex300 (10-14-22), Raven01750 (10-14-22)
Old 10-17-22, 01:54 PM
SynDragon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jesus how much did all that cost - same a new car I bet!

How much did the final bill for all this cost I have a 1998 GS 400 but just replacing 1 coil spring is $800 !
Since the car is worth barely $4000 or so now I had to stop doing major upgrades, as long as it drives I drive it but
timing belt, suspension etc all I give up on for now, not sure if dealer just blows these parts out dirt cheap or what

Originally Posted by QLex300
Hi
What Ive done to my 02 GS 300 aka Selena
Gas Cap
Cabin Filter replaced
Air Filter replaced
Mass Air flow sensor replaced
Timing Belt Replaced *(dealer)*
Water Pump Replaced *(dealer)*
Serp Belt New
Cam Seals *(dealer)*
Idler Adjuster Replaced *(dealer)*
Tensioner Replaced *(dealer)*
Valve Cover Gaskets *(dealer)*
Spark Plugs replaced *(dealer)*
Coils Replaced *(dealer)*
Front Brakes
Ball Joints
Lower front Controls
Upper Front Arms
Control Arm Bushings
A Cross member replaced
Dome lights/Door lights now working
PVC Valve replaced
Throttle bodies cleaned
Front Right side wheel sensor replaced, and VSC/ABS is good to go, No more Codes
New Stock exhaust
B1 02 sensor replaced. ...
Old 10-18-22, 04:41 AM
QLex300
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good Morning @ SynDragon

I know an older guy who *(works on cars)* to keep himself busy and took an interest in my GS, so if I got the parts Rockauto and ,Parts Geeks, he would help, ok do the work lol, and the bigger jobs would go to the dealer.

I think between the work to the motor and exhaust *(aftermarket)* I'm about 3500, but Im ok with that knowing it was done right and if any issues I can go to any Lexus dealer to get fixed and or corrected.

Old 10-18-22, 10:24 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Good Morning @ SynDragon

I know an older guy who *(works on cars)* to keep himself busy and took an interest in my GS, so if I got the parts Rockauto and ,Parts Geeks, he would help, ok do the work lol, and the bigger jobs would go to the dealer.

I think between the work to the motor and exhaust *(aftermarket)* I'm about 3500, but Im ok with that knowing it was done right and if any issues I can go to any Lexus dealer to get fixed and or corrected.
I cringe when I hear people say they go to the dealership for service. I highly recommend you find a good independent mechanic that knows Toyotas. The only time the dealer should be used is for warranty or recall work. 90% of the time a good independent mechanic knows more and is better than the Lexus dealer. The master mechanic at the dealer is most likely not working on your car and the rest of them are not nearly as experienced most of the time.
Old 10-18-22, 11:01 AM
QLex300
Pit Crew

I looked and posted looking for a reliable mechanic but dealer was the last but BEST option ..

You have a good mechanic in Brooklyn?

Might be worth the drive
Old 10-18-22, 12:15 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I looked and posted looking for a reliable mechanic but dealer was the last but BEST option ..

You have a good mechanic in Brooklyn?

Might be worth the drive
I have a few that I use. Lately been using a friend of mine who’s an engineer and works out his garage. He used to be a mechanic. He’s very good. I usually use him for all work that doesn’t require a lift. He always has great prices. He’s in queens too. Where are you located ? Also try using yelp for your area. I’ve had good luck with the shops that seem to have the good honest reviews.
Old 10-19-22, 06:08 AM
QLex300
Pit Crew

Good Morning @DMPesso

Im in South Jersey close to A.C
Old 10-19-22, 10:27 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Good Morning @DMPesso

Im in South Jersey close to A.C
Hey bro - that might not be worth the trip unless it’s a big job. But let me know if you ever decide to come to Brooklyn or queens! I’m sure yelp has some good spots in your area that work on Toyotas
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (10-20-22)
Old 10-20-22, 08:09 AM
QLex300
Pit Crew

Im hoping to meet some folk that I can link me up with a good mechanic.
I made a post looking for a mechanic or someone to link me up but no. luck so far.
I want to at least drain and fill the tranny

Thanks for all your help on these post on this site!!!

@DMPesso
Old 10-20-22, 11:34 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Im hoping to meet some folk that I can link me up with a good mechanic.
I made a post looking for a mechanic or someone to link me up but no. luck so far.
I want to at least drain and fill the tranny

Thanks for all your help on these post on this site!!!

@DMPesso
bro for that just get an oil pan put it under the car, drain it out and pour some in. One of the simplest things any one can do on their car. Just a matter if you feel like sliding under your car for two mins. Something like that you can trust almost ANY basic shop, it’s hard to mess that one up. Just bring your own fluid, Toyota T IV oem only.
QLex300 (10-21-22)
Old 10-21-22, 08:36 AM
wileywalt
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2001 GS430 Miles

I just past 317,000 miles in my Silver Road Surfer :-) I Bought it CHEAP 3 years ago (under $2000.00) with 297,000, and it was garaged all it's life before me. I took a nice trip to Florida from Massachusetts (aprox. 2700 miles) and got about 28 M.P.G. overall. I'm STILL pinching myself that it's not a long dream, LOL! I'd drive it any distance with NO worries. :-) :-)
QLex300 (10-24-22)
Old 10-21-22, 08:37 PM
JackTors
7th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i just finished the valve cover gaskets on my 2000 400 with 165k. leaking like nobodies business. If I never have to do that again, ill be a happy camper. If I ever have to do it again. Ill do it in half the time. While it was in the garage. I replaced the compressor and condenser with new OEM units.

Originally Posted by wileywalt
I just past 317,000 miles in my Silver Road Surfer :-) I Bought it CHEAP 3 years ago (under $2000.00) with 297,000, and it was garaged all it's life before me. I took a nice trip to Florida from Massachusetts (aprox. 2700 miles) and got about 28 M.P.G. overall. I'm STILL pinching myself that it's not a long dream, LOL! I'd drive it any distance with NO worries. :-) :-)
28MPG!? HOW?!

QLex300 (10-24-22)
Old 10-22-22, 07:44 AM
wileywalt
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All highway miles on my trip down, as I got to more and more flatland after the Fl. state line it crept up to 28 from 26 MPG. Around town I'll get anywhere from 15-18.
QLex300 (10-24-22)
Old 10-22-22, 07:20 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I have a few that I use. Lately been using a friend of mine who’s an engineer and works out his garage. He used to be a mechanic. He’s very good. I usually use him for all work that doesn’t require a lift. He always has great prices. He’s in queens too. Where are you located ? Also try using yelp for your area. I’ve had good luck with the shops that seem to have the good honest reviews.

Hey ma. Im in brooklyn and Ive been looking for a reliable mech for the longest since mine jumped ship and moved to ATL a few years back. He knew so many ways to efficiently repair the car without having to do the ole "replace the whole part" thing.

He used to work for the dealer.
Since he left, I have't been able to find anyone on that level.

I'd like to get info for your guy!!!
You can PM me
QLex300 (10-24-22)
Old 10-23-22, 07:50 PM
BaconLS430
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I've done quite a bit to my 01 over the past 3 weeks. Tried good ole mechanic in a bottle and it worked for a day or two before ultimately failing. Took the cylinder head off on October 1st and cleaned up the block surface. Took it to a machine shop on Monday, had it back on Friday, PO had overheated it so badly the head needed over 10-thousandths of an inch removed to get the surface flat. Installed the head on the 8th, wrapped up putting it all back together on the 9th, new plugs, wires, boots, timing belt, tensioner, pulley, cam and crank seals, oil change, lots of new electrical connectors that disintegrated for the PO or while I was disassembling it the weekend prior, hood supports, oil fill cap, and radiator hoses. Then I drove it to work on the 11th and blew the new o-ring out of the VVTi pulley, started leaking copious amounts of oil, a quart in 2 or 3 minutes. It also had no power on the drive to work that morning and I wasn't sure if it was from the VVT pulley leaking and not doing right or something else. New seal came in on the 15th so I got that fixed on Tuesday the 18th (forgot the key at home on Monday), still had no power and I traced it down to B2 upstream cat ejecting its contents into the rear cat. After unclogging that, the car has plenty of power and drove home fine on Friday.

Yesterday, UPS dropped off a box that shipped from Amayama less than 36 hours earlier with lots of little interior light bulbs for various switch backlights in the GS. I also ordered new fasteners to reinstall the glovebox and raided my bolt bin for some generic bolts and washers to put the cd changer in place. PO thought it was inop because he had his cds in the disc cassette upside down. I also replaced all the burned out exterior bulbs.

Today was simpler, I pulled the battery to charge after running it down last night and replaced the cover on the armrest. Not the best job by far but decent enough, especially given it's my first go at it. All it needs now is a good wash and a deep, deep, deep clean for the inside and it's ready to sell.
QLex300 (10-25-22)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?