GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-16, 01:18 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamcar88
Whered u get the lexus emblem at? Also it asks for a key code where do i get that info at?
the key code is written on your wallet key. If you don't have that the dealership could give you it also.. if you don't have access to either you can take a picture of you key and send it to the seller as a last resort. $9 service charge for that service
Old 07-07-16, 09:55 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Put my hks ls+ coils on and made me fall even more in love with this platform another toyota ahead of its time! Need some help though it didnt come with any tool to adjust dampening . Would this tool work ? I also need someone to help point me in the direction of some mild spacers. I dont want anything crazy with extended studs just something to get the wheel out more

Name:  8B4AF543-9F7F-4F1C-A5C3-C068A2B745DF_zpsexcuqg2q.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  230.4 KB

Last edited by dreamcar88; 07-07-16 at 10:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AHopCool13 (05-08-22)
Old 07-07-16, 10:05 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
just got this flip key in today.. everything works perfect. I have no issue with start up or the case hitting the wiper blade switch.

cost:

with key code - $21

without key code - $30

ebay seller ID - 1010keys
Where did you get the key cut?
I got the same key but everyone tell me they won't cut it because the metal is too soft (or something like that) and might mess up their cutting tool.
Old 07-07-16, 12:51 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphaman19
Where did you get the key cut?
I got the same key but everyone tell me they won't cut it because the metal is too soft (or something like that) and might mess up their cutting tool.
the seller 1010keys cuts it for you...
Old 07-10-16, 02:08 AM
PRKeus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood stuck closed.... cable stuck

Should have known better.
2 weeks ago hood would not close. LAtch would not move to closed-position.
Wiggled the cable some times, and then it gripped the hood again.. so, everything fine! NOT!

this week wanted to refill my wiper-reservoir. Hood would not open. LAtch is stuck. Probably cable is corroded, and it will not release the hood.

Cable is fully integrated in a gutter and can not be reached. Not even by japanese kids with tiny fingers. So now WHAT???
spent time with dealers to do whatever we can... last option is to crush the grill to get to the lock...

So replacing a € 50 cable will cost me up to € 500, replacing the cable and the grill...

before I go removing wheelpanel and screens to get to a cable... anyone with any advise?
Could not find anything in the threads
will be ever so grateful (window's getting dirty also...)

Let it be a warning.. it did not warn me... any trouble with the latch.. replace it, before you can not open the hood; That's a bigger problem than the cable costs...

Last edited by PRKeus; 07-10-16 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-10-16, 06:52 AM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is too separate issues. With all the people, here, who have had the "not close" issue without the "not open" issue, I think we are safe from the latch issue.

The latch should be properly lubricated. I am betting yours was not.

How many miles on the car now and when you purchased it?
Old 07-11-16, 08:58 AM
DWCOILE
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

car looks super fantastic. Nice and Clean.
DC
Old 07-11-16, 09:39 AM
PRKeus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AmanO
This is too separate issues. With all the people, here, who have had the "not close" issue without the "not open" issue, I think we are safe from the latch issue.

The latch should be properly lubricated. I am betting yours was not.

How many miles on the car now and when you purchased it?
you're too late with that advise ;-)

got it for 2 years now, 240 kKM ..suppose that's 150,000 miles...
Never read or heard about oiling a latchcable that is fully buried.... Suppose that this is the one and only part in a GS430 that is corroding...

Do you have any suggestions, apart from torching the hood?
Old 07-11-16, 12:39 PM
Dangit2001
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced two burnt bulbs today. Currently looking for stock 16" oem wheels to replace the 19" aftermarket ones.
Old 07-11-16, 12:48 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PRKeus
you're too late with that advise ;-)

got it for 2 years now, 240 kKM ..suppose that's 150,000 miles...
Never read or heard about oiling a latchcable that is fully buried.... Suppose that this is the one and only part in a GS430 that is corroding...

Do you have any suggestions, apart from torching the hood?
Worst case is you use bolt cutters to cut away the grill until you can either get the latch open/off or at least get the grill unbolted off the hood.
Old 07-11-16, 01:04 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TLC for my GS430

I had a laundry list of things to do on my '02 GS430 and was contemplating on getting a new car or putting in the $ and keeping it.

I couldn't decide what I would get and really didn't want to dish out a lot of $$ so I decided to just keep the good ole gal since she only has 114K on the odom so here's what I did.

Replaced the hood latch cable and latch.

Updated my front suspension:

KYB GR2 struts
Moog Outer Tie Rod
Moog Lower Ball Joint
Moog Sway Bar Link
OEM Lexus Caster Arm
Centric Rotors and Brake Pads
Just bought some Megan Racing UCA from fcdrifter...hopefully the deal goes through.

My Nav dvd player stopped working so I bought the Gen 4 NAV player since it was a direct plug-n-play.

After all this, I'm glad I'm keeping the car but it did make me think hard about what I want when the time comes...I have my heart set on an '13 or newer GS350.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GS today?-newsuspension.jpg   What did you do to your GS today?-newsuspension_1.jpg   What did you do to your GS today?-lexus-gen-4-nav.jpg  
Old 07-11-16, 01:12 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PRKeus
Should have known better.
2 weeks ago hood would not close. LAtch would not move to closed-position.
Wiggled the cable some times, and then it gripped the hood again.. so, everything fine! NOT!

this week wanted to refill my wiper-reservoir. Hood would not open. LAtch is stuck. Probably cable is corroded, and it will not release the hood.

Cable is fully integrated in a gutter and can not be reached. Not even by japanese kids with tiny fingers. So now WHAT???
spent time with dealers to do whatever we can... last option is to crush the grill to get to the lock...

So replacing a € 50 cable will cost me up to € 500, replacing the cable and the grill...

before I go removing wheelpanel and screens to get to a cable... anyone with any advise?
Could not find anything in the threads
will be ever so grateful (window's getting dirty also...)

Let it be a warning.. it did not warn me... any trouble with the latch.. replace it, before you can not open the hood; That's a bigger problem than the cable costs...
I had the same problem and had to go underneath the car, I removed the covering from the bottom enough to get a very large screw driver up and pried the lock mechanism open to get to where the cable connects inside. This allowed me to use the screw driver to move the latch mechanism to release the hood. Once I did that I replaced both the latch and cable. I preordered the latch and cable.

It took me 2 hours to get the hood open and another 4 hrs to install the cable. The toughest part about installing the new cable is pushing it through the fire wall. Eventually I used a coat hanger to thread the cable through. See my post below on how I used the coat hanger.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...acement-5.html

Last edited by kphu; 07-11-16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-11-16, 04:39 PM
diamondgs4
Driver

I have my data 2000 ver.1 map DVD replaced by a Gen2/3 ver 13 DVD map a few weeks ago.
(A terrible mistake of upgrading my gps head unit)
It overwrites the head unit to a newer system; an warning for wrong disc pop up and the GPS stop working.

I decided to go for the Gen4 gps edu upgrade option like other members did before.
I purchased a used 2005 Prius gps edu,Gen4 unit, comes with Toyota OEM ver5.1 DVD map, from eBay.
It is truly an easy plug-n-play swapping.
Just received a Gen4 ver.15 DVD map update today
Old 07-12-16, 06:20 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by diamondgs4
I have my data 2000 ver.1 map DVD replaced by a Gen2/3 ver 13 DVD map a few weeks ago.
(A terrible mistake of upgrading my gps head unit)
It overwrites the head unit to a newer system; an warning for wrong disc pop up and the GPS stop working.

I decided to go for the Gen4 gps edu upgrade option like other members did before.
I purchased a used 2005 Prius gps edu,Gen4 unit, comes with Toyota OEM ver5.1 DVD map, from eBay.
It is truly an easy plug-n-play swapping.
Just received a Gen4 ver.15 DVD map update today
Nice! Glad it worked out. Where did you get the Gen 4 ver 15 DVD map?
Old 07-12-16, 06:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by diamondgs4
I decided to go for the Gen4 gps
You should have done a Gen 5 swap....much better although the Gen 4 is light years ahead of the Gen 3

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?