GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone ever replaced their steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 01:46 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Anyone ever replaced their steering rack?

Just wondering if anyone actually replaced the entire steering rack and what differences it made In the way the car drives because I'm starting to think I may need one because on windy days the wind actually moves the car and the car always had that loose steering where you gotta turn so many times to move the wheel compared to other cars. Anyone who has done this let me know what difference it made please. Thanks!
Old 03-22-13, 09:27 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I know Lexus wants over $600 to do it, and thats labor, but don't all cars sway when its extremely windy out? Mine is fine for steering, very easy to turn and its tight.... And no its not worth it...

Last edited by DosyBoy; 03-22-13 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-22-13, 04:16 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

id jus have an Indy I know do it if its actually worth doing

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-22-13 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-23-13, 01:49 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

you need to be sure you're worried about the steering. All lexuses are designed to a degree for luxury driving, or as jeremy clarkson says it, they are like driving with mittens on (compared to euro/german cars).

Yes, there is extra tendency for the steering to get loose in the 2GS-see shaky steering thread for ideas.

If instead, what you want to improve is that car is feeling unstable with body sway when swerving, or squat/dive feeling during accel/braking; then what you really have is a suspension issues. You can first start with replacing the shocks especially trying a stiffer shock such as the bilstein HD (search for feedback on this).

Or, if what you are experiencing is that the car is squirrelly or feeling that it is easily affected by the road, you may want to review your tire choice. If you have budget tires, or worn tires, a new set of higher performance tires may provide the improvement you are looking for.

Last edited by raytseng; 03-23-13 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-23-13, 05:42 PM
CHINCHIN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced a rack on a gs. Not fun if you dont have a lift, but not hard. Made no real difference, rack i replaced was leaking. Check the rack busings before you replace the entire rack...
Old 03-23-13, 10:14 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

That's the type of feedback I was looking to hear. You jus saved some people money looking into fixing or changing it in the future who search this like me. You don't notice any improvements at all?

Originally Posted by CHINCHIN
Replaced a rack on a gs. Not fun if you dont have a lift, but not hard. Made no real difference, rack i replaced was leaking. Check the rack busings before you replace the entire rack...
Old 03-23-13, 10:14 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Like it doesn't make the wheel feel any sturdier and less affected by bumps?
Old 03-23-13, 10:16 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Yea I have new OEM shocks I know the steering feel I actually like it I jus thought if the wind can move the car from under it maybe the rack was weak and was being moved by the wind or other things like certain bumps can slightly move the wheel

Originally Posted by raytseng
you need to be sure you're worried about the steering. All lexuses are designed to a degree for luxury driving, or as jeremy clarkson says it, they are like driving with mittens on (compared to euro/german cars).

Yes, there is extra tendency for the steering to get loose in the 2GS-see shaky steering thread for ideas.

If instead, what you want to improve is that car is feeling unstable with body sway when swerving, or squat/dive feeling during accel/braking; then what you really have is a suspension issues. You can first start with replacing the shocks especially trying a stiffer shock such as the bilstein HD (search for feedback on this).

Or, if what you are experiencing is that the car is squirrelly or feeling that it is easily affected by the road, you may want to review your tire choice. If you have budget tires, or worn tires, a new set of higher performance tires may provide the improvement you are looking for.
Old 03-23-13, 10:20 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Like it doesn't make the wheel feel any sturdier and less affected by bumps?
Here DMP check this out.... Maybe it will help..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-movement.html

Last edited by DosyBoy; 03-23-13 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-24-13, 12:49 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Thanks flocko I read all that I'm gonna check for that steering column play since my wheel does move over rough roads that's probably the issue.